Windows 10... anyone here install it yet?

I now have W10 on my development PC
I like it
its a bit faster
I was using W8.1

The start button is back
and the new start menu is like a windows phone I see

the white bar under the running program in the task bar (i.e sticky start icons)
is much like OSX
as is the new task view

No problems with the upgrade, it only took long to install. (90 minutes on a quadcore 3.00 Ghz)
One annoying thing though and maybe this is a setting I don’t know of yet.
The edgebrowser won’t stay at where I positioned it, the windowsize stays ok. (No full screen)
It sorta centers on the screen and I positioned the browser in the leftuppercorner.

Same trouble here with the browser position. Mine opens on the left, but I prefer it in the upper right corner. Unfortunately it won’t play nice.

I have installed 10 without any problems but can’t seem to resize the WD window so that I can see it all. Has anyone got any ideas how to do this? #-o

This may interest you:

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-windows-10-data-tracking-features-from-one-place-with-this-free-app/

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-enable-godmode-in-windows-10/

Installed Win10 this afternoon with no problems, software wise anyway. I like so far.

I do have one issue though. I recently set added a 2nd monitor, very old job that was retreived from a PC that I ‘de-commissioned’.

Was ok on Win7, and initially with the Win10 install, ie when all was upgraded. However, after my first reboot, although it is active during the system boot up, as soon as I get to the Win10 login, the monitor is no longer recognised and attempting to detect it proves fruitless. Unplugging and replugging in the cable from either graphics card or the monitor and is still not responsive. If I then do another reboot, again, the 2nd monitor is detected initially, but as soon as i hit the login screen, the 2nd monitor is no longer recognised.

WD running fine and dandy.

TrevP

I assume you have one video card, does its driver support win 10? What type is the card, and how are the monitors interfaced e.g. DVI, HDMI etc.?

Hi Niko,

Yes 1 graphic card, with one DVI output and one old style ‘VGA’ .

The 2nd, older monitor(10 years+) was detected with no hassle on WIN7…and as said, after the upgrade to WIN10, it was detected…and going into the display settings all was as expected…displays ‘1’ & ‘2’ and this was all OK, until I effected a reboot …and then the circumstance as I describe.

If I unplug the DVI cable from the graphics card…the older monitor is detected again and becomes my display, but as soon as I reconnect the DVI, my main monitor kicks in and the older monitor goes into sleep mode…and WIN10 display settings no longer detects it ?

Its no great shakes as I’m intending to get another newer monitor soonish…just a trite confused as to what is happening.

TrevP

@TrevP: Hmmm, I see a lot of similar complaints online about 8.1 and 10 so there may not be a good solution :frowning:

I found a spare hard disk, and a spare CPU (note my level of commitment :lol: ) and installed 10 Pro. Looks like it’ll take me a few days to turn off everything that I don’t want or need :roll: I’ve previously used Black Viper’s service configurations so I’ll be working through his Win 10 config too, although it doesn’t look very radical.

Cheers Nicko. As I was using the dual monitor set up with WIN7, obviously something in WIN10 when going to the login that renders the older monitor undetected. I will continue to have a play and see if can sort it.

regards

TrevP

Drivers prob need updating is all, i run the same setup here and downloaded the new win 10 catalyst drivers

I have not updated my WD PC to Win10 yet, especially because of the automatic install of updates with a reboot. I have installed it on another PC to test. I have turned off automatic reboot, and it seems to work. I just get a message saying that I need to reboot because of new updates.

What I’m not sure about is if this also works for critical updates, or if it will perform an automatic reboot then? Any experience on this?

I’m on Windows 10 Pro…and have also set to notify and not to reboot…and I see no reason why ‘critical’ updates would override that setting…and like you have had a notification and was given option to schedule reboot or restart now

Yes Bashy, that would be my next step…but I did have problems when attempting to update those drivers when running Win7…so a tad reluctant, but may well just bite the bullet. :slight_smile:

TrevP

The reason why I mentioned it is that I saw an article saying that critical updates will always reboot, regardless of settings. So we have to wait and see if it’s true.

“notify and not to reboot” doesn’t that really mean “not to reboot immediately”? I think it will wait a certain time for you to allow it to reboot, and then do it anyway.

I disabled the update service*, be interesting to see if it turns itself back on.

• Not suggested for a general use PC, only for a dedicated 24x7 data gatherer.
What I'm not sure about is if this also works for critical updates, or if it will perform an automatic reboot then? Any experience on this?

I have disabled the updates completely, by disable the service. Seems to work. And yes, its Home-version.

I read that security updates will be ‘installed’…nothing about a reboot, which I would assume means just that, downloaded and installed, but then you would be given the notification that a reboot is required…

No Windows 10 driver for my now ‘aged’ Radeon HD 4600 card…