Windows 10... anyone here install it yet?

hello all…

just wondering if anyone has installed Windows 10 yet and if you have did you or do you have any issue’s with it?

Good Or Bad?

Any thoughts about it?

…Chris

I am happy with Windows 7. I did understand that a clean install works better than loading it over what is already on the machine.

I think what I am going to do is to wait it out for six months after everyone has had a go at it and raves that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

In reality, when my computer craps out, I will get one with it installed.

I saw that you don’t have much (any?) control over the installation of updates, that makes me even less interested in updating.

This collection of articles has a lot of info for those who are tempted.

It’s a bit unclear if some of the points about updates applied mainly if not exclusively to the beta version.
If you had that it was on condition they could push though updates as they came available.

I planned on reformatting my pc, so I decided to install Win 10 to see what It was like… But… There’s a corrupt file in the download. Sure didn’t take long to find an error.

And now I cant download it again.

I see snowman reports WD does work OK on W10

Running W10 now… This is very weird. Going to take awhile to get use to everything, and find the settings.

The forum is showing I’m using Chrome.

OS/Browser:
Win NT 10.0
Chrome 42.0.2311.135

But I’m using Edge, the built in Win 10 browser.

It would need forum software update to correctly guess the browser, but at least it gets the windows version right :slight_smile:

What do you think of Edge?

So far the browser doesn’t seem too bad. Still need to figure out how to import my favorites. That’s for tomorrow.

Installed it last night, no wow-effect here…It mess up my webpages a bit tought…

Edge: missing svg-icons and images what not loads here and there.
Firefox & Chrome: In both browsers was my laptop classed as touch-device by Modernizr. This went away after a few hours.

Generally: The box coming up when click on start-button is a piece of junk with its tiles flip-flopping around what have ads for Microsoft apps, like Minecraft,they want you to buy.
It took just 30 minutes and it downloaded an 200+ MB update with forced reboot…
With the forced update-installs it will never be the stable 24/ running wx-pc-os whats updated controlled if at all.

Is any one running the WXSIM suite of programs on Win10 ?

I asked Tom recently and he was unsure - though at the time he was mid install of Win 8 on his machine.

4 of my Laptops and 2 PC’s are scheduled for auto update whenever it happens, at least I’ll still have 2 old XP’s as backup.

Tony

I have a spare Dell 960 that I use and abuse for things like this. I let it load up Win10 and everything seems to have ported over with no problems. One thing…it is an “upgrade”. When Win95 was upgraded to Win98 you still had Win95 under the hood. Also any corrupt files, viruses, and other garbage were kept. Only when you did a full fresh install were you guaranteed a clean running system. The same goes for this upgrade…if you have an old Vista or Win7 that has a lot of miles on it, I don’t think the upgrade is a good way to go. Here is a link on how to take the upgrade files and make it into a fresh install.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893

I installed it yesterday. every thing works ok. It will take a while to get to understand the operation . find every thing. Not sure I like it yet.
Chuck

Well I got a lot of my stuff loaded on Win 10, but still having issues trying to run it as Admin. If anyone has any tips on this, that would be great.

Acc to help sites like http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3436-run-administrator-windows-10-a.html you may have to first set up a shortcut and then set that to run as admin.

hello all…

as for the start menu…if you don’t like the flip flop tiles, or the start menu itself…there is a nice free download called “Classic Shell” which has been out for sometime that I had been using with windows 8.1, but it is also compatabile with windows 10 now also. it lets you change the look and layout of your start menu and also numerous other things, like the START button itself. see my attachment below of the Settings window of this Classic Shell program and NOTICE all the other TABS that also have settings you can change to your own liking. Its Free and is really a great Program. I wasn’t a big fan of the flip flop tiles either. here is link to DOWNLOAD Classic Shell…

http://www.classicshell.net/

ok… I also wanted to mention that I was going to wait awhile before installing windows 10 but decided to just give it a try anyways and installed it yesterday.was using win 8.1 up until then and my other laptop (wife’s) has win 7 still. so some of the things I have found in the process.

1. after installing win 10 decided to see if it was ACTIVATED/ACTIVATE WINDOWS and sure is s**t it wasn’t so I clicked on activate windows button, waited about 30 seconds and got error/wouldn’t activate. even though it is a free upgrade it needs to be Activated, by going to control panel. SO What could be the problem I asked myself???..well the problem was that with windows 8.1 there is option to either always sign in with your Microsoft/Hotmail account and password so you can get into the Store and all that other stuff, or change the way you login when windows starts by just using your own password and bypassing siging in using your Microsoft account. its an optional thing with win 8.1 and I had mine set to not login to windows with my Microsoft account, so after changing this back to sign in with my micro account and then trying to Activate win 10 it Worked and got activated. to see if yours is activated I believe you go to START/SETTINGS/UPDATE AND SECURITY/ACTIVATE

2. also discovered that if for whatever reason I or whoever else that installs windows 10 and wants to Uninstall it…you only have 30 days to do so. To see this info … I believe you go to START/SETTINGS/UPDATE AND SECURITY/RECOVERY…Go Back to windows 7/8.1 (2nd option down on screen)

3. windows Edge…I looked at it and saw a bunch of useless screens and said to myself this is usless to me. I then wondered where the Icon was for Internet explorer, since I didn’t see one in my taskbar or start menu…so I typed in the Start/Search Box…Internet Explorer, found it and then added it/pinned it…to my taskbar. it is Internet explorer version 11…which can make your weather website, if using Saratoga templates and other scripts act a little strange in some spots. I am really not a big Fan of internet explorer anymore anyways but I do use it from time to time. Most of my Browsing I do I use PALE Moon (Mozzila Firefox Based Browser) And have customized the pale moon browser using available free skins. its simple and works great for me. Pale Moon browser can be downloaded here if interested…

Skins for Pale Moon Here…

1. Antivirus…as with windows 8.1…windows 10 also comes with the free antivirus named Windows Defender. it is basically the same as "Microsoft Security Essentials Free antivirus that I use on Windows 7 machine just a different name …windows defender/Microsoft security essentials. It works Great for me and doesn’t cost me anything like subscriptions to Norton or McAfee. When I first got my new win 8/Toshiba laptop it came preloaded with free 30 days of Norton antivirus .before the 30 days was over I uninstalled it and then started using Windows Defender. The strange thing is…until you uninstall whatever antivirus like Norton that comes preloaded you wont see windows defender…it is sorta like Hidden/unactive…since you can only use 1 anti virus at a time. so if your new machine came preloaded with a 30 day free trial of Norton/mcafee, once you uninstall that crap, then you can start using FREE windows Defender.

2. The Icons down by the clock for speakers/battery/internet access are different/New but could be better. someone will probably have a option to change them somehow in the future but for now they are there and do their Job.

3. as with windows 8…windows 10 also has a Programs folder and an Apps Folder from going to the Start Menu. This Really doesn’t appeal to me because I don’t really use any Apps on my Laptop, just on My Cell. another reason why I use Classic Shell to eliminate seeing the usleless to me Tiles Screen. The tiles screen does come in handy if you have win 8.1 and now win 10 and have a Touch Screen Monitor and then customize your tiles to the things you click on Daily on your Tablet/PC/Laptop.

There are other changes and additions with windows 10 and if you google 'windows 10 " and read about it, you will discover them. There is also always someone creating work arounds or programs that can do things they way you want them to be, you just got to google and find these Things.Overall I think Windows 10 is Ok and will most likely just leave it installed.

…Chris

are you logging into windows, when machine first starts up with your Microsoft account and Password? not sure if this is the issue or if Niko has pointed you in the right direction but may also be needed for admin Stuff.

whenever I get stumped on things, I just keep googling to I find the Help/Answers…or someone in a forum that has supplied any Answer to something I am trying to do or learn to do.

This is why I use Google as My Browser homepage …can never Learn Enough stuff,… one of the great things About the WWW.

is that White or Wheat Bread you are talking about?..lol

I don’t think you have to wait 6 months, its a pretty simple upgrade and a slight step above windows 8.1

Then when you get the new laptop with it installed you will know all the In’s an Out’s about it.

…chris

Huh?

When it boots up, it takes you to a stupid login screen for your username and password… Then once you log in and the pc sits for awhile, you have to log back into it… Not really liking this part.