Windows 10... anyone here install it yet?

I’m sure it will be fine for millions of regular PC users, especially if they have become used to smart phones.

My girlfriend had her Win10 reservation, and did an in-place upgrade of her new Win8.1 laptop. No problems with the upgrade. Took about an hour or so and all her stuff works fine. she did install Firefox and Chrome because she didn’t care for the Edge browser. She really likes Win10, and even liked the tech previews.

Me? I removed all the GWX (Get Windows 10) updates from my Win7 64. Not interested, my computer is an offline non-cloud entity.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can download an ISO of win 10. I D/L the 32 and 64 bit version. Be prepared for a rather large file. But it goes in the download folder. So no hide and seek to find it. And it seems to be a standard ISO file.

If you have several computers. This is the way to go.

Mark

As others say I’m sure loads of folks will find it works. However the WUDO thing is an issue because it could eat up bandwidth for anyone with restricted traffic allowance from their ISP. Also as others mention the auto update for a system which runs 24x7 is not good. One thing I did find amusing is the multiple desktops, something which I’ve been using for years in Linux. I am also not a fan of all the tiles and stuff which makes life awkward if you dont have a touch screen (I dont and am unlikely to have one for quite some time). Anyway each to their own, just I wont bother. As for W10 on a phone, I’ll be sticking to Android for the foreseeable future.

Stuart

Wireshark doesn’t work with 10 so unless that changes (needs a new version of PCAP, but the PCAP project is dead) we’ll never know exactly what it’s doing.

The size is 5846336 so you will need a dual layer burner and disk. 5.8 GB is not all that big. I don’t know what the size would be if I didn’t include both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Mark

Mark, I have downloaded the individual as well as the combined ISO versions:

• Windows 10 - 32bit & 64bit = 5,964,693,504
  • Windows 10 - 32bit = 2,590,703,616
  • Windows 10 - 64bit = 3,333,357,568

So after a few days of running Win 10, I’m going back to Win 7. Too many little bugs not worked out of it yet. I’ll wait till the first service pack comes out before I try it again. It does look promising though, I like the layout and many other features of it.

Ken
You can change the port apache is using.
here is a link to show how.

Steve

IMO, one shouldn’t have to change Apache’s port to something else. Especially since port 80 is the standard for webservers (apache, IIS, ngix, etc). Is the port changeable for http.sys to listen on?

As stated earlier, I ungraded an 8.1 laptop to 10 and it seems

Just a followup to the ‘can’t use XAMPP Apache on port 80’ issue. I found the problem… It appears that IIS was enabled by default and grabbed the port at boot time. A visit to the Services panel, stopping (and disabling) ‘World Wide Web Publishing Service’ promptly freed up port 80, and my XAMPP Apache was reconfigured to port 80 successfully.

Live and learn, I guess. I’d not had IIS enabled on the Win7-Home system, but it appears to default to ‘On’ with the Win10 upgrade.

I’m keeping my main weather system at Win7-Pro-SP3 for the time being as I work through any issues found with the 4 systems I’ve upgraded.

The Atom D2500 system is where I’ll explore the Win10 vagaries … it’s upgrade went fine (although at 2+hrs due to miniscule processing power).
I’d originally hoped to have it take over for the CoreI5 main system, but it’s horsepower was insufficient for all the weather software I’m running, so it makes a great test bed instead :slight_smile:

I’m hoping that SP3 is a typo 8O

Oops… yes, Win7-SP1 (so long on XP-SP3, I just naturally use SP3 :slight_smile: :oops:

I’m usually pretty slow to update but I’ve never missed two SP’s before :lol:

I have the DVDs now. So I think I’ll wait until winter. When I have a little more time to play with it.

Mark

A lot of tips related to the W10 privacy and wudo settings in this Slate article (if you get an ad the bypass button is at the top right).

First updates arrived last night.
I had set it to notify me so i can shedule the reboot.

It downloaded and installed the updates in background and notified me about to shedule the reboot.
It actually shedule as default a reboot to following night at 03:30 if you not change it before that.

I also leaved open a couple of programs to see if they are there after the reboot (browser + notepad with some unsaved random text). All open programmes was gone after the reboot.

// Henkka

If you set the network connection as “metered” it’s supposed to only download critical updates, can’t do that on the Home version though.

I can (wifi).

Also DiagnosticTrackingService and WindowsUpdate disabled in services now. Lets see if they stay like that or if Redmond picks in and re-enables them :wink: