Tornado

Seems a tornado came through here and forgot to tell anyone?

Year 79.0 mph on 26-Feb-2009

I thought this error was gone?

Mark

Must have pssed by me a couple of days earlier

53.9 mph
Feb-24

And we don’t get many tornadoes in southern england!!

Phil

In my monthly records I show this Coldest Day (6pm - 6am) 122.0F on: Feb 04 2009
Warmest Day (6am - 6pm) -58.0F on: Feb 18 2009

Same as last month and it did not correct itself when it happened in January or February with the update on the 2nd day of the month or at any other time.

Lulu, that record will be set once the 6am or 6pm time comes around

You will be surprised, when we had the snow there was a decent waterspout just off the south coast :slight_smile:

Error upon error???

Mark

Yep, TORRO received confirmed reports of the following for the UK in 2008:

Tornados: 11
Waterspouts: 9
Funnel Clouds: 68
Land Devils: 4

The number of tornados for 2008 is actually quite a bit down on previous years. :wink:

Error upon error????

I can see any point in being rude

WD checks the Davis console for the daily maximum gust reading every 10 minutes
its possible that routine could sometimes through a wrong value, even though it has a CRC error check

put a max windspeed limit in the barometer offset and rainfall setup

Actually I think my odd reading was my watson 1080 which does occaisionally have a hic up, not very often but it does happen. Before re siting my temperature sensor I would occaisionally get a dramatic drop in temperature which lasted about a minute, I was convinced we had a ghost roaming the garden!!..maybe we do!
Phil

put a max windspeed limit in the barometer offset and rainfall setup

Would this stop a legitimate high value? We do get nasty weather here that can surpass 80 MPH And I wouldn’t want my station to not be able to report the true speed if that happens.

Mark

i have a Davis VP here
I do not get erroneous high windspeed all time records
I have a 90knot (103mph) max limit set

for me, I do not have the problem you have Burgus

I have no problem working with people on issues who are willing to work with me in a polite manner to get those issues resolved

antagonist and inflamatory posts are frowned up on this forum (see the form guidelines)
and will just put people off coming to the forum

Sorry I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I have had some excellent help from this forum and would be in a right mess without your help and that of the other people all much more experienced and skilled than I.
Phil

have a Davis VP here I do not get erroneous high windspeed all time records I have a 90knot (103mph) max limit set
So you are saying that VP users do not have a problem with the "odd" high speed wind log?
I have no problem working with people on issues who are willing to work with me in a polite manner to get those issues resolved
Niether do I . I'm glad we agree on some thing.
antagonist and inflamatory posts are frowned up on this forum (see the form guidelines) and will just put people off coming to the forum
I also agree with this. But are you saying that I am being an antagonist and inflamatory?

Mark

I’ve run two VP stations for several years and I don’t see it.

Nor do I. 1 station…2 years.

I did a quick search with the term ( Davis wind spike ) in advanced search and found several threads about the spike.

Mark

its possible its the routine that checks the daily max gust on the console that sometimes is getting a false value
I have put a check in place to make sure if that value is used, then it has to be less than the limit setting you have in use
in build 17 .zip

one thing I do know from experience
is that when the ISS battery gets low, and there is no solar charging, the ISS sends wrong data to the VP , just before reception is lost altogether (i.e very high windspeed readings), at least with the VP1

I am having a hard time finding where WD sees this. I see a wind speed of 16 and a wind gust of 18 from this direction 284 Is this correct?

www.burgus.org/burgus/22009lg.zip
www.burgus.org/burgus/record.jpg

It says record high wind gust 79.0 MPH 060 @ 23:33 on Feb 26 2009

Mark

Had that happen to me. It shows up as a 255 mph gust. Have since set a limit…just in case it happens again.