modify bucket to 0.1mm

I suppose with that respect i will never know, whats the odd 0.01mm between friends lol
I know think i will miss that odd one slipping astray, what i dont know wont hurt me i suppose :slight_smile:

Hi skyewright,

Did the Spreadsheet sheet work for you?

I think you will find that WD reads the rain gage sensor every 5 - 10 seconds or so, possibly ever second. It is entirely conceivable that you had two bucked tips within one second depending on your collection area and how heavy the rain was. If brian reads this post he may be able to confirm.

Regards Derek.

I think you mean ‘Bashy’. :wink:

The WMR928 OS rain gauge transmits data around every 45 seconds or so.

But does the rain gauge actually store any tips before the transmit, like the wind does?

Yes. If it didn’t then with one transmitt every 45 seconds or so it would not be possible for it to report anything like the maximum rates and amounts quoted in the manual.
With your 0.1mm mod, you’ll certainly have had cases where multiple tips have happened and been reported in a single transmit cycle.
I understand that the data transmitted is something like a rate and a cummulative total.

With your 0.1mm mod, you'll certainly have had cases where multiple tips have happened and been reported in a single transmit cycle.

But then if it stores the tips until transmit, surely any multiple tips would be stored and transmitted
I know this to be the case looking at some of the previous graphs… I have added a graph below to
show you what i mean, you will see what a multiple tip looks like, (see arrow) you can see the difference
between a single tip which is a smooth ascent of the rain line but where the arrow is theres a vertical
climb, this is telling me there was a multiple tip for that transmit as it jumped more than normal

Am i making any sense lol?

2008-07-23_181912.gif

Err, yes.

Yes.

There is no doubt at all that the sensor can handle multiple tips in a transmit cycle.

The question is how many it can cope with in a transmit cycle (on the assumption that it takes the gauge a finite time to process a tip and recover itself ready to process the next one).

You are making sense. Am I? :lol:

Yep you are, just lol

I think the only way to find out is to manually tip it and see what it produces and at what point
max’s out, thinking about it, wont the console tell me when its maxed out?

I have modified my WMR968 rain gauge , and it works! :smiley: I went from the factory 1.0mm(.04") per tip to a new rate of 0.155mm(.006"). For the people like me that use inches… I basically took my 4"Dia(100mm) rain gauge and added a 10"(254mm) funnel to it.(numbers rounded for simplicity) Got my first rain minutes after it was set up! WOW! What a difference! I don’t know why everyone doesn’t do this! I saw my first ‘tip’ soo much sooner, and you can see a much smoother rainfall rate. I guess I’ll just keep searching for the elusive plastic 12" funnel. Then I can get right in there with 0.1mm(0.004")

Elusive?

I always wonder what will happen in a steady downpour…will the bucket be able to keep up with the tips? My rain bucket is awful, takes forever to tip and sometimes misses rain events completely if it is short duration of light rain…

I couldnt find the funnel either, i erm, hacked one her bowls at 1st but then

i went too far and had to bin it, then i went to the garden center and bought
one of those nice looking planters, “was nice looking” :slight_smile:

I cant tell you if it misses any tips but it certainly works well otherwise :slight_smile:

With my 4 x sensitivity WMR928 conversion (i.e. 200mm/8" funnel for 0.25mm tip in place of 1mm) I’ve see up to 4 tips a minute register successfully.

A few feet away is an unmodified WMR200 gauge. So far they have not disagreed significantly (there is bound to be some difference for various reasons).

It will be interesting to see how they compare over the winter…

Has anyone tried “stress testing” a WMR928 gauge? i.e. disconnect from WD (or set factor to 0?), then trigger the tip at increasingly short intervals to see where it starts to miss tips?

The manual quotes up to 999mm/hr, which with a 1mm tip would be the equivalent of 3.6 seconds between tips, however maybe the 999 is more a case of ‘can display 3 digits’ than ‘can handle rain at 999mm/hr’…

I havent done any testing really, but i do have a manual homemade
rain gauge that i made purposely to see how the modified 928 bucket
compares and theres not a lot in it at all, i cant say precisely how much
is in it because the manual is not that precise as its in 0.5mm increments

We have had some great downpours this year and the bucket has not
overwhelmed itself, i.e. its just kept going, i would have thought that if there
was a problem it would give and error and stop registering (prob wrong there)
but heres hoping :slight_smile:

My guess is that at some point the tips would be coming so fast that the odd one or two (or maybe few) might not register. This is assuming that the mechanism requires some finite to settle itself between tips.

Bear in mind that the rain that tipped my 0.25mm gauge 4 times in a minute would have tipped your 0.1mm gauge 10 times, that’s only 6 seconds between tips (approx. and assuming steady flow).

On the other hand however, with a 0.1mm gauge if you miss a tip you are (obviously) only missing 0.1mm - and if is raining that hard you are probably not too bothered about the odd 0.1mm here or there! :lol:

…and all the rest of the year you get great benefit from the extra sensitivity. :smiley:

If I had a 1-wire gauge (which is, I think is 8"/200mm wide with a 0.01"/0.25mm tip as standard) I’d be very tempted to mod that to 0.1mm (which would ‘only’ be a factor 2.5 mod, so maybe there is scope for more… though perhaps more would be getting a bit extreme! :lol:).

With the WMR928 I think I’ll see how it gets on at 0.25mm for a while yet.

What’s your high rain rate record in “All Time Records” Bashy?

Do you recall which gauge were you using at that time?

Bear in mind that the rain that tipped my 0.25mm gauge 4 times in a minute would have tipped your 0.1mm gauge 10 times, that's only 6 seconds between tips (approx. and assuming steady flow).

On the other hand however, with a 0.1mm gauge if you miss a tip you are (obviously) only missing 0.1mm - and if is raining that hard you are probably not too bothered about the odd 0.1mm here or there! Laughing

Some good points there :slight_smile:

Lets say we have a monsoon here in the UK…
If its 999mm per hour max, thats 16.65 tips in a minute (i think maths aint good lol)
if i now divide that by ten then by rights my bucket now should only be able to handle
1.665 tips per minute, is that right? prob not lol

But going back a little while now when we did have some heavy rain, what i noticed was
on the graph, it didnt go up by 0.1mm all the time, there was times when it actually jumped
to say 0.6m or 1.0mm, so i think as its tipping away its storing it in memory then passing it to
WD on the next cycle…

As for my max rain was only about 12.8mm on the 22nd of june this year, i did the mod on or
around the 27th of Feb this year :slight_smile:

Ah sorry you said rain rate, that was january at 228mm/hr that was BM
Before Mod lol

You are nearly there - but change “tips” to “mm”. :smiley:

If 999mm/h (standard) really is a physical limit, then 16.65 is the max tips that the mechanism can handle, and would be a fixed point of reference regardless of how much rain each tip actually represents.

If that is the case, with your 01.mm per tip instead of the standard 1.0mm per tip your max rate would be 99mm/h (i.e. 10 times higher sensitivity, 10 times lower max rate).

Yes.
If (with your current mod) there has been a 0.6mm step in WD, that was 6 tips - or 10 tips for a 1.0mm step.
[/quote]

But didn’t you have a 0.25 mod before the 0.1mm?
With no mod that would be approx. 16 seconds between tips.
With a 0.25mm mode it would be approx. 4 seconds between tips
And with a 0.1mm mod it would be approx 1.6 seconds between tips.

Oddly my “All Time Records” give a mm/min figure. Maybe the unit is an option somewhere?
My record is 10.0mm/min (back on 23rd Feb this year), and with an unmodified gauge.

That rate is 6 seconds between tips with the unmodified gauge,
equivalent to 1.5 seconds between tips with 4 times (0.25mm) gauge,
or 0.6 seconds between tips with a 10 times (0.1mm) gauge!

I’d be really impressed if the OS gauge could handle 0.6 seconds between tips! :smiley:

Ah yeah good point i did have the 0.25 mod installed, i forgot about that pmsl…

I'd be really impressed if the OS gauge could handle 0.6 seconds between tips! Very Happy

you would be impressed, i think so would OS pmsl…

I cant rememebr where you change it to mm/ph…ah, yes i do, its in the All Time Records, top menu far right :wink: