modify bucket to 0.1mm

Thanks. I knew 99 came in somewhere :oops:
I wouldn’t really advocate greater than 0.2 mm.

A 10 times standard modification (i.e. 0.1mm) does seem to be pushing it!

If the 1.6 mm/min I calculated is valid, Bashy’s mod might have just been in danger of overload twice here yesterday (i.e. I twice has 2 x 1mm tips in the same minute), but then we probably get a bit more rain on average than he does - and the wind would probably have ripped the big funnel off anyway. :slight_smile:

With a less sensitive fallback in place to catch really extreme events it’s an experiment though. :smiley:

I had a max gust of 52mph with a average max of 39mph yesterday and i was very
surprised myself that the funnel stayed put :slight_smile: It aint the funnel im worried about
thats stuck pretty fast, i was expecting the bucket itself to end up on the floor lol

How’s the 0.1mm mod doing now Bashy?

Still going strong?

Hi David

Yeah still on there and still recording, not had any problems thanks…
Its great cause it picks up the slightest of rain, what with that and the rain sensor
picking up the 1st spits of rain and showing the rain icon on the website i cant fault it
and would recommend it :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

Sounds good. :smiley:

Do you happen to know what the maximum rain rate it’s seen has been?

erm, not sure where to find that, the record in 1hr was 8.6mm, that was last month

Found this

Maximum rain per minute = 36.8 mm on day 16 at time 11:08 (March)
Sorry that should have been march, edited it now

Thank you.

Presumably that’s a ‘burst speed’ (i.e. measured by WD over short space of time [possibly the time between 2 tips?], and no pun intended) else with your mod if it kept it up for a minute that would be 368 ‘tips’ in a minute! 8O :lol:

Hi Simon

Could you post some pictures of your rainbucket?

Best regards,

Henrik

There is a picture on the 1st page i think Henrik, maybe the second page, but its there :slight_smile:

Yeah that is from WD, If i remember correctly for moderate rain its about 3mm per hour,
thats what it was reading 2 days ago when it gave about 19mm

I have not had any serious bursts that know of so i cant really say how it copes, i will
keep an eye on it though

Hi Simon

Ups - sorry - didnt see :oops:

Best regards,

Henrik

No worries, i dont care as long as ya dont laff at the size of the funnel pmsl…

Hi Simon

I would never laff of your rain bucket.

…and when that is said:

My wife would never allow me to modify my rain bucket - shes angry enough of all “those ugly things planted on our house” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have a nice evening

Best regards,

Henrik

Yeah i get that as well, more so when i say to use a soft ball in the garden in case the
kids kick it and knock sommat, goes goes off on one then pmsl…

You too have a good evening :slight_smile:

Hi, Please finds attached a spreadsheet that will help with calculating the new Rail fall in mm or assist in recalibrating your rain gage when you increase the collection area.

The Recalibration (and check) formula is on the left of the page and the Recalculation of Rainfall is on the right side. Enter only figures into the boxes in red. The sheet is unprotected to you can see the formulas used if you so desire.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Derek
Stokes Valley Weather.

Raingage.zip (5.31 KB)

Thats brilliant Derek thank you very much, Perhaps a Mod could make your post a sticky
i will report it and ask them for you, that will help a lot of folks :slight_smile:

btw, it was spot on for my new tip :wink: Thanks again

EDIT: Thanks Brian, I have added a link to my 1st post in this thread to the post above :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I based the calculations on information that I had read previously to calculate the rainfall over the given area and I have confirmed these figures with my own Rain Wise gage from Hobby-Boards.

Glad I could be of assistance as I have read so may post on the issue and wanted to clarify how to correctly calculate the rain fall when you have modify a bucket gage.

Regards
Derek Chapman
Stokes Valley Weather.

We have had a little heavier than normal rain today and thought i would share
as some thought the modification might not handle anything other than normal rain.

Well today it looks like ti handled it quite well, you can see this in the graph, i aint
had any errors from the rain gauge on the console as yet, in one part it went from
6.7mm to 8.0mm in one foul swoop lol so it looks like the gauge records the tips and
stores it untill its sent to the PC at the next interval, i didnt know this i assumed it just
sent 1 tip at a time but evidently not :slight_smile:

Anyway, heres the graph from today, still raining btw

WD recordng multiple tips in a minute shouldn’t be a problem and 3 tips in a minute sounds not unreasonable for the gauge to handle, the ‘worry’ is that with 0.1mm sensitivity tip quantities might arrive so rapidly that the sensor itself doesn’t record them (either because the electronics might require a finite time to process a tip and reset, or because the bucket mechanism it self couldn’t work fast enough not to spill some water unmeasured).

The only way to be sure would be to have an alternative gauge for comparison - but the alternative gauge would of course need to be quite sensitive itself to notice the odd few 0.1mm of rain going missing! :lol: