Meteotemplate - new free website template

Hi guys,

two minor block updates (bug fixes, CSS tweaks) and one major one.

Riset 4.0

Trends 1.1

• bug fixes
  • CSS tweaks

Summary 2.3

• language corrections

IMPORTANT!!!

Hi guys,

recently I noticed that my replies to some people ended in the Spam folder of their mailbox. I dont know, it could be that it recognizes my Czech IP, but either way, if you email me, just to make sure, put my email address on your list of exceptions to make sure this does not happen. I ALWAYS reply to all emails.

Hi guys,

this is just to let you know that the WWO page will be permanently discontinued from the template. It used to be a very nice page, but…

First, I created it over a year ago, it is in fact still using parts of code from my original personal webpage (Meteopage) and so it is very problematic, throws many errors, has no error handling and I even know about a few bugs.

Second, and this is the major reason, as you probably know, World Weather Online is no longer free. Since March it is not possible to create a new account for free and the prices are quite high. This means the page is totally useless to majority of users and I do not want to spend further time with it.

It will be removed from the menu and in version 10 also not included in all the download files and the WWO API key field will be deleted from the Main Setup, right now it only confuses people.

I know it was a nice page, but it only was useful prior to the changes in their pricing policy.

New Plugin - Outlook

Hi guys,
as you might have read already, the WWO forecast page is useless to all users who began using the template after March 2016. I knew there needs to be some replacement for it.

However, I decided to go a step further and developed a new plugin, which I am sure you will like. Think about it as sort of a central place to see what is coming. I personally really like it and I am also quite pleased with the features I was able to add compared to what I developed last year (in the backend for example, the WWO page throws hundreds of notices and errors… which you probably do not even know :D)

I called it simply “outlook”. It is divided into several sections, so let me just go through all the features quick:

Sections

• Current conditions - this tab simply shows you current conditions from your station as well as from the nearby airport
  • Alerts - if there are any alerts issued they will show up as a new tab
  • Short-term forecast - 48h forecast with interactive graphs, tables etc.
  • Long-term forecast - 7-day detailed forecast with interactive graphs, tables etc.
  • Station averages - detailed graphs and tables of the average values for the upcoming days based on history data from your station
  • Station extremes - detailed statistics of the extreme values measured in the upcoming days of the year based on your station history
  • Almanac - sunrise and sunset times, Moon phase, day/night length for the upcoming days. Also, if any of this is about to come, it will also show up including details and exact time of occurance: main Moon phase transition (quarter, New Moon, Full Moon), lunar eclipse, solar eclipse, season change (solstice, equinox)

General features

• fully localized - including the text forecast, you can choose from over 25 languages
  • fully responsive - built using blocks, should display perfectly on smaller screens with possibility to resize graphs by dragging
  • graphs are interactive and resizable directly in the browser
  • sortable tables with sparkline graphs
  • data is cached so after you load it once it should then reload immediately
  • Moon icons and season icons adjust based on your hemisphere
  • possibility to highlight particular year

Hi Jachym
working ok on mine thanks

Harold

Really liking the new Outlook plugin, and it all seems to be working fine even with the problems I’ve had with host servers not liking data from some sources :smiley:
Phil

Hi guys,
thanks.

Thanks for letting me know Phil, Im particularly happy about that and it also sort of proves what I posted, it has much better error handling and if something is wrong there are fallback mechanisms and if even those fail, it skips it rather than throwing an error as soon as something is not 100% as expected… when I look at some of the pages that are still part of the template which I wrote a yr ago I feel like I should delete them immediately, but everyone learns and makes mistakes, at least there is something to work on for v10 :smiley:

Phil, I have a homework for you :smiley:

Make a list of all pages that did not work for you and I will look at it again and see if maybe I could figure out why and if it could be overcome

Hi Jachym

https://api.darksky.net/forecast/5ca43d057495f7166481e57a4275bbd3/46.02,13.20
api usage 10 total caal
but dont work !!!
is a host problem ???

Phil, I have a homework for you :D

Make a list of all pages that did not work for you and I will look at it again and see if maybe I could figure out why and if it could be overcome

Ok here goes:-

Blocks: Meteogram, earthquakes, mars weather. The summary block has now started to work except it shows nothing on the forecast tab.

Plugins: Earthquakes shows the map but no data, Co2 some sections work others don’t, Space weather won’t load at all and comes up with “internal server error” warning

Metar didn’t work then started just to show the location and co ordinates but the last few days has started to show all the details and the interactive header now updates as it should.

In the admin section for blocks and plugins shows 0.0 for the latest version check.

As far as I can remember thats all, but there may be one or two I discarded and have forgotton. If I come across any more I will let you know

OK, I will have a look, but this obviously is some major issue, Im sure that at least some of those you mentioned are ok…

Plugin Update - Notifications 2.0

Hi guys,

I updated the Notifications plugin. Now you have the possibility to also set up email notifications in addition to the Twitter posts.

You can set if you want to send emails or post to Twitter, or both. Also the text for each can be different. In case of the Twitter text you are obviously limited in terms of the number of characters, which is not the case for the email.

In order for this to work, your server must have the mail server installed correctly. There is a test button which you can use to send test email and see if the emails are working.

If you are installing this for the first time, follow the instructions in the documentation. If you are updating the plugin, simply replace all the files as well, the settings.php is only on your server so it will stay untouched. Then go to your Control Panel and setup the plugin again to update the settings.php (you will just have to specify if you want to enable the email notifications and specify the email address, the email text etc.) Then make sure you also update (replace) the dailyNotificationsCron.php in your load/crons/ directory, this the updated script which will post to Twitter or send the email.

Enjoy

Phil, I emailed you a little script I want you to upload to your server. Once you do that send me or post here the URL of it so that I can check the output of it.

Phil, I emailed you a little script I want you to upload to your server. Once you do that send me or post here the URL of it so that I can check the output of it.

http://www.philsweather.co.uk/meteotemplate/serverCheck.php

I also tried a couple of other blocks, Tides which say Data n/a ( I have checked and the url for Portsmouth is in the settings)

And the calanderMonth block which I thought would be certain to work has the following warning

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /web1/user53995/website/meteotemplate/homepage/blocks/calendarMonth/calendarMonthBlock.php on line 11

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone ‘UTC’ for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /web1/user53995/website/meteotemplate/homepage/blocks/calendarMonth/calendarMonthBlock.php on line 12

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone ‘UTC’ for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /web1/user53995/website/meteotemplate/homepage/blocks/calendarMonth/calendarMonthBlock.php on line 13

I have put all the blocks I mentioned on the homepage so you can see for yourself what their out put is (meteogram is way down at the bottom of the middle column and just says loading data from external source.

As I said in my last post some things such as METAR have started to work without any changes from me so maybe my hosts are making changes to their servers.

Phil

OK, well this explains it all… no point in looking any further or trying to fix it from my side Im afraid:

http://www.philsweather.co.uk/meteotemplate/serverCheck.php

I highly recommend using a different provider. This one for some reason blocks many sites and also seems to be blocked by many sites. Neither of the commands loaded the data from the external source.

Thanks for looking into this. None of these blocks or plugins are essential and I can live without them for now until I can sort out another provider, which won’t be for a while. too many other things going on at the moment.

Phil

Bug Fixes
Hi guys,
I discovered some bugs in a few pages. Please download the new Bug fixes package (9.2) and just replace the corresponding files.

The Bug Fixes package can be found as always in the Downloads section at meteotemplate.com, in the menu on the left click

Plugin Update - User Map 2.0

Hi guys,

I updated the user map plugin. It is amazing to see how many people are installing this and over the past couple of weeks I have been adding at least 2-3 people a day, currently the user count is very close to 270 :slight_smile:

The updated version also shows you the number of users from each country.

Menu - new features

And there is one more thing - I updated the menu.php, the Admin menu now includes some special admin actions as well. You can directly go and add a new diary entry and, what is really useful, there is a direct link which will automatically update the users file so you no longer have to go to meteotemplate.com, download the users file and then upload it to your server. It is now all done automatically just by clicking the link in the menu.

The above links (diary and usermap) will obviously only show in your menu if you have those plugins installed and if you are logged in as the admin.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/userMap/

Enjoy

Plugin update - Stickers 4.0

Hi guys,
I updated the Stickers plugin. In the new version, the interactive sticker time and date format adjust based on your template main settings. If you are just updating this plugin, all you have to do is replace the interactiveSticker.php, the setup.php and the stickersVersion.txt.

Enjoy

New Plugin - U.S. Temperature Change

Hi guys, I made a new plugin which shows the temperature trends (min, max, avg) for the individual U.S. states as well as the U.S. as a whole, over the 20th and 21st century.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/usTempChange/#

Enjoy