Anemometer Mast

Hi all,

I’m after a bit of advice about a mast to put my anemometer on.

Been looking at getting a new mast, do I go for a metal or fibre glass one? Also, which is best…a telescopic or a solid mast? I’m getting different vibes from different people and am a little confused :?

Has anyone got a telescopic mast 'cos that’s what I would prefer. Have you had problems retracting it after a long period of time?

Any feedback gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony

I have a telescopic 10m (33ft) (guy lines needed) Aluminium i bought it from Moonraker
This is mine http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Poles-and-Masts/Telescopic-Masts/LMA-L

Theres many more though http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Poles-and-Masts

Hi Bashy,

I’ve been told, how true it is that a telescopic mast will not retract after a long period of time, have you had any prob’s with your?

I’m looking at getting a fibreglass mast (telescopic) 12.2m (40ft) which come’s with all the guys & stuff but am unsure on what way to go!!!

I have no issues with lowering and highering (its aluminium should last a good while and not susceptible as
steel ) and i had it up all the way through last winter and its still got plenty of movement in each section

All i can tell you is fibreglass will cost more and do the same job, how much is the 12+ meter one that you have seen?

The mast is about, don’t laugh!!!

wow, your having a giraffe aint ya lol try this one
http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Poles-and-Masts/Telescopic-Masts/TMF-2

LOL!!!

I’m only looking at the mo, not bought yet, just getting as much info as poss!!!

What is the head speed of your’s?

Head speed, whats that?

The wind speed that yours can take?

oh, sorry lol

Dont know to be honest, I know its topped 65mph, i suppose its all down to how good (strong) the
guy lines are, i think mine are only nylon, perhaps as strong as ya average shoe lace lol, i do want
to go to steel guys sometime, but that max speed was with a big 1 litre Laboratory flask on the top
(solar sensor) this would have added some extra force on the mast as well but it stayed up no probs :slight_smile:

Theres guy fixings at every section but im only using 2 sections for the guys

It looks like the aluminium mast can handle higher wind speeds than the fibreglass ones :slight_smile:

things like that I need to find out, don’t wonna put the mast up & weeks later it blows down, in Burnham-on-Crouch we have fairly strongish winds all the time, i live practically on the River Crouch but at the mo my anemometer is on the cable end of the house about 3 metres above the roof line, still suffer with a lot of wind turbulence so want to move it into a differant location.

Many thanks for your input.

I’ll carry on looking, got the web site you used so I’ll take a good look at all the mast’s

Many thanks Bashy,

Tony

I m8, its best to weigh up the pros and cons for sure, I went for the aluminium cause its strong
and lightweight and it was a reasonable price, i didnt even contemplate fibreglass purely cause of
the price, but looking at the wind speeds they can handle i am glad i couldn’t afford one at the time
cause i would have got one for sure and it might have been a bad decision lol

Good luck with ya choice, just make sure what ever you get have 2 sets of guy lines, one set at the top
and the other about half way down, if you do go for fibreglass then i would say to have 3 sets, 1 at
the top, 1 next section down and one in the middle, 2 at the top to add more strength, cause i think
the max speeds are just having one set at the top, if thats the case what would happen is the mast
would belly dance and fibreglass ones would crack or smash, mine belly dances ever so slightly, it was
a bit worse when i had the lab flask on the top but it stayed up…

Just remember, whatever you get , use wire guy lines and use the proper accessories to attach and tighten
them up, i will, but couldnt afford it at the time so i went the cheap method…

Hi Bashy & all,

Well I took your advice and ordered a mast from moonraker, should be delivered tomorrow. I went for a fibreglass 12 metre mast, wire guys, tripod, pegs, stakes, etc. Also ordered a new anemometer from Prodata (thank you John)!, so I’m all ready for installation next week.

Can’t wait to install it all to see the difference between the current and new locations.

Whilst on the subject, am I the only one who suffers from pigeons sitting on their anemometer? Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this? They’re driving me mad!

Regards,

Tony

You could call them “Rock Doves” like the CA dept of fish 'n game. Sounds so much nicer, I mean, who wouldn’t want rock doves in their garden :lol:

Our feathered friends drive me up the wall, thought about putting cable ties on the anemometer shaft & cut them down to size.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Does that one have its own guy rings/spiders, or did you need to order those too?

Hi Skyewright,

Had to order the 2 sets of spiders, one for the top and the 2nd for the middle of the mast, the tripod look’s after the bottom :wink:

Excellent news on the mast :slight_smile:

Not sure about ya pigeons though…