Anemometer Mast

Thanks.
I shortly hope to be lifting my ‘home brew’ 6m wooden pole (already attached to the pivot at the base, wires now made up, just awaiting a combination of reasonable weather and a free day). If that produces a good effect a ‘proper’ mast will be on the wish list - and being close to the sea fibreglass might well be a good idea! :wink:

Hopfully I’ll be installing mine at the weekend, I’ll let you know how I get on

With the glorious sunny weekend we’ve had (not all of the UK has had the heavy rain!), I’ve not only done battle with the grass - I’ve also got the pole up. Only lightish winds at present, but so far the results are looking good, i.e. a substantial increase in measured speed for both wind & gust. :smiley:
It’s the WMR928 on the new pole - at these sort of windspeeds that used to be about even with or 10% below the WMR200 (which hasn’t moved). Now the 928 is giving around 20% higher than the 200. Interesting to see how they compare with stronger winds (and how well my rigging stands up…).

Good show, mine too was well worth the money and effort :slight_smile:
Would be good to see some images if possible?

This one was mainly made out of timber left over from a fencing project. Biggest direct expense was the rigging (wire, turnbuckles, D-links, and for one stay a ground anchor - all from ScrewFix), which I hope I can re-use if I decide to fork out for a ‘proper’ mast.

Images in the camera - I’ll post some up when I get the chance.

Not the best of images. The sun was getting a bit low. And I’ve compressed them a bit to aid bandwidth. :slight_smile:

The mast is constructed from 4 pieces of timber.

A 100mm x 50 mm x 3.5m fence rail is screwed to a 100mm x100mm fence post (stiffening and thickening the ‘bottom’ end of the rail). On the opposite side of the rail is attached a 38mm x 50mm x 4.8m batten giving a sort of T section for most of the length. At the top is a 25mm dowel on which the anemometer is attached. The dowel is strapped to the 38x50 with a couple of jubilee clips.

Aside from the dowel the timber was all pressure treated stuff, but after making it up I gave the whole thing a coat of some left over bitumen paint anyway. And then a coat of left over masonry paint! I’m not sure the masonry paint has adhered well to the bitumen, but no great problem if it flakes off.

The base of the mast is bolted to a ‘stand-off’ post anchor which is itself attached to a concrete base by an anchor bolt, so when the bolts are loosened the mast can both hinge and pivot, whichis handy for ‘dropping’ it in a convenient line.

The ‘spiders’ are even more ‘Heath Robinson’. The lower guys (wire) join to the mast just before the top of the 3.5m rail using a spider constructed from builders band and links from a 6mm chain. The upper guys (strong cord) attach just below the top of the 4.8m batten using a spider constructed from a jubilee clip and S-hooks.

The anemometer is mounted on the dowel using the usual U-bolts. I decided to mount at the 5m mark rather than the very top. I’ll see how it performs in a gale before risking any higher.

Top image show the new mast from due N. The WMR200 anemometer is still in the old position to the left (mounted above one of the strainers on the deer fence). You can also see the 2 rain gauges - the WMR928 gauge is the one with the 8" funnel.

The middle image is looking SE. You can see the thick base section. Also the solar panel & transmitter on a small platform at ~2m.

The lower image shows the arrangement at the base.

5m DIY view due S.jpg

5m DIY view SE.jpg

5m post base.jpg

That looks superb, you have great position for your station, looks like theres nothing
in the way of the instruments :slight_smile:

We are pretty open from WSW round to ENE.
Attached is one of the other pictures I took - looking SW.
Beyond the deer fence is wetland (one time rough pasture, no longer drained) which dips gently for ~half a mile (there is a very small hillock in the middle). Then over the next half mile the land drops ~100m to sea level.
Beyond that is Rum (visible in the distance, ~10 miles away). Next obstacle is probably somewhere the other side of the Atlantic.

Behind me is the house. The ground then rises steeply.

Wx view SW.jpg

Wow, what lovely views…

Are you anywhere near the Cullins, I did some climbing there a couple of years back :slight_smile:

You get a moderate view of the Cuillin from about half a mile along the road, and an absolute classic view across Loch Scavaig from the jetty where the road reaches the sea.

If you were climbing most likely you approached from the other side, Glen Brittle, or maybe Sligachan - unless you walked in from this side e.g. past Blaven, via Camasunary and ‘The Bad Step’.

Your soooo lucky :slight_smile:

To be honest, i cant remember where we set off, my bro does all the driving whilst up there
cause he knows his way around, but, Glen Brittle does sound very familiar, why though, i aint
got a clue pmsl…

A few years ago chatting with a neighbour from further into the village he happened to say “Of course, you don’t have much of a view from where you are, do you”.
I almost fell over laughing. Only someone born & bred here could possibly think that! :lol:

Hi Skyewright, Bashy,

Last weekend I did manage to erect, no puns :lol: :lol: the mast, all went well. Only problem I had at first was with the guys, as soon as the wind hit the mast the guys would come loose from their anchors ( not enough tension on the guys), all sorted now…

The mast is about, at the moment 37 feet, just need to keep a check on it with nearby tress to see if I get any wind turbulence. At the moment I get better low wind speed readings, can’t say for high speed, not had a lot of wind down here at the mo…sod’s law!!! #-o

I could only place the guys 3 metres apart, lack of space, hope that will be OK? I’ve got two sets of guys but if all goes well I’ll be installing my solar/UV sensor to the top of the mast. When I do that I will go for a 3rd set of guys.

Just a bit paranoid at the minute about the wind taking the mast down, I’ve always had the anemometer mounted on the side of the house, very strong stucture but now it’s at the side of the garden supporting itself, oh well time will tell… roll on the strong winds!!

One little problem I’ve got is one of the guys keeps loosening up, I’ve checked the spider, that’s ok, the guys not slipping in the buckle, nice & tight, the guys are wire so they’re not streching, I’ll give it a couple of days to settle in then I will adjust it again.

I’ll take some pics today & post them here so you can take a look at the install.

Even steel wires will stretch, as they are a rolled weave lay of strands, they will tighten and fill the gaps with more and more tension and appear to extend - well they are, but its not the wire stretching so much as the strands coming together tighter and allows the wire to go slack. It may take a little while for them all to stay tight. Good project though! 37ft is a good height!

Most people we knew thought we were crazy when we announced that we were moving here. :smiley:
It doesn’t suit every one…

Same here.
Barely exceeded 10mph since the anemometer was attached, but it is definitely recording higher that it would have and (I think) the direction is ‘steadier’.

Likewise, again.
My main worry are the home made ‘spiders’. I’ve thought of a way of adding extra strength - maybe after we’ve had a bit of a blow I’ll take it down, examine the fixings and beef them up a bit.

I’m also interested to hear how a fibre glass pole behaves in strong winds, i.e. will the flexibility mean that it ‘weaves & wobbles’ even though guyed?

Well for the last couple of days all I’ve had is 18mph winds, all OK with that :smiley: no wobble from the mast, so far so good.

For the rest of this week the wind will be light so still can’t give it a good test. I’m on leave this week so it would have been good to monitor it in strong winds, still paranoid about it… I’ll go back to work & thats when we will have strong winds #-o get home from work & the mast will be in half (smashed)

Adjusted the loose guy rope today, all OK so far

I’ll keep you posted on how it performs!!

Also I attach some pictures of my setup, couple of the mast & one of the tripod

anemo.JPG

Another picture

I know the same picture :oops: :oops:

chose the wrong picture!!!

anemo1.JPG

anemo1.JPG

The tripod

anemo2.JPG

Looks a great set up, well done, is it in the ground at all?