WW forum

Is it just me who quite often cannot access this forum?

For example, about 15 minutes ago, I tried several times and I always got a DNS error or a simply page that the server cannot be accessed. I got this also a few days ago and it seems like a relatively common problem in my case. Does anyone else have the same experience? Any ideas what could be causing it?

I haven’t seen that.

It may be an issue with the name servers that are authoritative for ‘weather-watch.com’ domain

11/01/15 07:40:39 dig weather-watch.com @ 208.67.222.222
Dig [email protected] (136.243.40.33) …
Non-authoritative answer
Query refused. Nameserver won’t talk to me for policy reasons
Dig [email protected] (46.4.104.170) …
Authoritative Answer
Query for weather-watch.com type=255 class=1
weather-watch.com SOA (Zone of Authority)
Primary NS: ns2.weather-dns.net
Responsible person: [email protected]
serial:2015062202
refresh:10800s (3 hours)
retry:3600s (60 minutes)
expire:604800s (7 days)
minimum-ttl:38400s (100 hours)
weather-watch.com NS (Nameserver) ns2.weather-dns.net
weather-watch.com NS (Nameserver) ns1.weather-dns.net
weather-watch.com A (Address) 136.243.40.33
weather-watch.com MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 5 mail.weather-watch.com
ns2.weather-dns.net A (Address) 136.243.40.33
ns1.weather-dns.net A (Address) 46.4.104.170
mail.weather-watch.com A (Address) 136.243.40.33
Dig [email protected]
Non-authoritative answer
Recursive queries supported by this server
Query for weather-watch.com type=255 class=1
weather-watch.com A (Address) 136.243.40.33
weather-watch.com NS (Nameserver) ns2.weather-dns.net
weather-watch.com NS (Nameserver) ns1.weather-dns.net
weather-watch.com SOA (Zone of Authority)
Primary NS: ns2.weather-dns.net
Responsible person: [email protected]
serial:2015062202
refresh:10800s (3 hours)
retry:3600s (60 minutes)
expire:604800s (7 days)
minimum-ttl:38400s (100 hours)

The refresh interval is every 3 hours, with a retry (if failed) at 60 minutes. ns2.weather-dns.net refused a ‘dig’… that’s a bit unusual.

It could be the unique timing of your DNS fails to get the zone for weather-watch.com for some reason, so the lookup ‘expires’ (becomes unavailable) until a successful zone can be fetched and used.

Just musing…

I am not an expert on servers, but just to clarify a bit more, it is not the case that it would try to load the page and time out, I simply get the error and connection refused screen as soon as I click the link for the forum in my favorites.

Are you always connecting from the same IP?

The “got a DNS error or a simply page that the server cannot be accessed” and “get the error and connection refused screen” sound like different issues.

The first sounds like a failure in the DNS lookup for the weather-watch.com IP address.
The second sounds like the DNS lookup worked, but that the actual weather-watch.com server declined the connection.

Either can be caused by lossy packets from your IP to the IPs of the DNS and/or the weather-watch.com server itself. Are you having the issue with other websites?

This is really funny…

I was writing a post where I appologized that I dont remember exactly what the error was and that next time I will write it down. And what a surprise, I hit the Post button and “bang” there I have it again… so I copied it down, I even opened the more details link to see what exactly is happenning, here it is:

This webpage is not available

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED
Hide details
The webpage at http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=6 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Reload this webpage
Press the reload button to resubmit the data needed to load the page.

and just to add to that, reloading does not help, it simply starts working after some time, but if I just reload the page immediately it doesnt help and it stays like this for irregular time interval (usually like 10 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less)

When it happen, try in commnadline
tracert weather-watch.com and copy the output.

It shows where the connection stops/fails.

What exactly do you mean by command line

i.e using cmd via windows run
i.e a DOS window

The error indicates that he’s not getting an IP for weather-watch.com and in that case tracert can’t do anything. Better to run nslookup for his default dns and maybe google 8.8.8.8 dns.

Hmm… I thought so, unfortunately… I abandoned MS so if you think this would help I need to know how to do this from the Linux terminal

Strange. I’ve never had this issue and I refresh ‘unread posts’ several dozen time a day.

Me either, and I’m always checking for spammer registrations. The server is in Germany so you would think Jachym would have an easier connection than we do :?

Also, I do not have this problem on any other site in general.

tracert = Traceroute in Linux
nslookup = nslookup

They should both have help available

OK I will try once I get that error again, it is absolutely random, sometimes I get it several times a day and then nothing for a week…

What dns are you using?

8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4.