Windows XP, comm settings etc

mumsy, check you dont have a hot sync serial connection program for the lap top in the start up folder, that will then hog the serial port
(remove if you have and restart the pc)

[color=blue]thanks brian i will- i’m printing this so when i go home in a couple hours i can check

it’s really ticking me off- i got it working then i don’t- i disabled it then re-installed it- i even disabled the modem and tried- when i do the aprs check comm port- it says comm port 2, 3, and 4 are ok but comm port 1 error- but when i set up comm port settings i get error all around- so i do the release com port for 5 min and it takes longer than 5 minutes so i save and exit and go in again and still error- so frustrating-

i’m looking into ebay for a barebone machine to add what i have in my hp to that- or just buy a little at a time til i get a system i want. but for now all i have is my laptop- and gateway is no help for this problem- [/color]

brian i tried to search the pc and all files for that partiicular file- i did how ever find a bunch of files that have almost the same name but not sure which to delete so i have this belkin 4 port hub (usb) and i already have a usb- to serial adapter i tried (again it didn’t work) and i installed the hub and the WD worked for again one day- i got this strange blue screen that said the software wasn’t capatable with windows XP so today i did some searching and belkin products are supposed to be compatable with XP home edition- so back to the drawing board- if anyone knows of a site to get drivers for this hub i’d greatly appreciatte it, thank you

Hi
maybe see if there are any updated drivers for the serial usb port

I have found a pci serial card is working OK…
…others have found the usb serial port adaptors drivers can cause problems
i have my modem on a usb seruial adaptor, and its OK, and a tried a couple of weather stations with it, and there was some problems (a wmr968) with the data …ie there was lots of CRC errors…

the pci card

i got a serial to usb adaptor at first and that didn’t work so i figured i’d try the hub. it worked at first then nothing-

so i looked at windows xp compatable list and the belking 4 port hub that i have is compatable- just being stubborn- i’ll get it working sooner or later- heck it’s taken me almost a year to get the site up and running

brian i got the hub to work- but now i get a red on the data quality- a few minutes ago it was green- the other is green and it says comm port #7 ok- it updates the site- i’m so excited- it’s finally working–