Where do i start????...literally!!!!

I am just getting interested in weather. Can anyone please tell me what the best system is for a beginner. I would really like to directly download the data onto my pc.
Thanks,
T.S.

PS. I live in the UK!!!

Most of us on this forum like Weather Display. Most of the default settings worked well for me including the web page features. There is also plenty of help available here on this forum. The creator of Weather Display, Brian Hamilton, is quick to respond to questions about the program. I do not believe there is a better weather program. For value received, Weather Display would be inexpensive at twice the price. :smiley:

There are a lot of Weather display users in the UK.

I think you mean weather station, right?

What is your price range? Weather stations vary from several thousand dollars ($US) to around $175 ($US), but common wisdom says you pretty much get what you pay for. Good wireless solar systems are going to run you $500 to $1000. I mention wireless because its really easy for someone to setup. If your comfortable running and installing wire, then the price will be somewhat less.

I have a LaCrosse WS-2310 which I bought “open box” online very inexpensively. I then spent several days and about $30 modifying it for proper usage. The station gave me several new grey hairs getting it working right and is NOT a weather station I’d really recommend to a beginner. On the other hand it was inexpensive and I’ve found it to be pretty accurate (once modified).

After spending the day on the internet looking at and reading about weather stations, all roads seem to lead to the Vantage Pro2. Is this a good place to start for a beginner like myself, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

The VP2 is a good but expensive way to start. If you can afford one and are fairly sure that running a weather station is something you’ll still be doing in 12 months time, then it’s a good station to buy.

If you can afford one and aren’t sure if you’ll be running a weather station in 12 months time, then buy one anyway and I’ll give you 10% of the purchase price when you stop using it :wink: :wink:

I have the Davis Weather Monitor II and have had very few problems with it. It was my first station as well. Install was easy and worked great right out of the box. If you don’t need the solar and uv sensors, I would recommend this unit. There’s a significant price difference between the WMII and VPPro series stations :slight_smile:

One side note of the Davis products, they require the datalogger to be able to send the data to a PC.

Thanks for all your help. I have just bought a Weather Monitor II. I hope to have a web site set up in the next few weeks so I will probably be asking more questions somewhere else in this forum.

Kevin,
Thats exactly where I did start!!! I’m the one in Herts who just bought the WMII off you. One problem, the pack included the US power supply. I have had a look around all the usual outlets for a 9v, 200ma adaptor but apparently the lowest we can get in the UK is 300ma. I would most appreciate it if you could send on a 9v, 200ma UK version of the adaptor. Appart from that, much appreciated for the A1 piece of kit. I’ll certinly do business with you again.