What's to become of WDL

[quote author=lgRich link=topic=61257.msg489268#msg489268 date=1440890044]
The English is not my main language so I make all possible effort to stay clear in my comment

Very nice! I understand about the large graphics. Can’t wait to see the final product.

My thoughts are we are being bullied into believing that Flash is bad. Yeah there were problems in the past that have been fixed. On the same point, why isn’t anyone calling for the demise of Java ? It has been just as bad. Flash is not going to go away immediately because it is embedded in so many products.

The issue with Flash isn’t that “there were problems in the past that have been fixed”, it’s that there are new problems coming to light every week or so. What you mean by “java”? If you mean the “Java Virtual Machine” (JVM) that runs on the PC side there certainly have been many calls to avoid using it (I uninstalled it a long time ago), if you mean “java” the language, or “javascript” the scripting language I don’t believe there have been issues such as you describe.

Of course there are issues with Javascript too (and surely you can even turn it off in your browser, though I know nobody who would do that because I guess about 90% of webpages would become unusable these days), but Flash is much more vulnerable to all sorts of attacks. Primarily because it has access to much more in your PC, in other words with Javascript you cant do that much as with Flash in terms of modifications and access to your PC. And just like Niko pointed out, yes there has been lot of bug fixes etc. but new and new keep on coming and will in the future. Google and all the others wouldnt just stop supporting it for no reason.

Are you still working on this very nice WDL replacement Jachym?

he has already done that (using Steel Gauges) as far as I am aware (its part of meteotemplate, as an option plugin, I think)

Jachym’s template also now has a gauge option that AFAIK isn’t Steel based - Live conditions

Hi,
yes, I don’t use steel series. I did try it, but the problem is that it is relatively demanding on resources, lot of Javascript and trying to load this as a block, along with all the other blocks, it was not ideal. Also, I am not a big fan of all the fancy 3D stuff and shadows so I would only use steel series in a setup/appearance which is available using many other gauges plugins, which are more lightweight and for me easier to work with (though Im not suggesting steel series is not good, it is great, just not ideal in this particular case)

So the meteotemplate download on your page also includes the WD support I saw being beta tested in 2015 posts here?

I wasn

Yes, meteotemplate supports wd fully, every single plugin or block will work with it

OK :slight_smile: Thnx!