Weather Display and Android?

I disagree, it may not be something you see on the TV weather but I think there are a lot of reasons enthusiast users would be interested in dewpoint.

yes, its one of the more important weather parameters
it tells you when a new airmass has arrived, and if its polar or tropical
(e.g frontal change )
it gives an indication of likely rain potential in an air mass, etc
also is important for Midwest storm formations, knowing where the dew point boundaries are (dry line, left over outflow boundaries, etc)

Interesting if you are concerned about frost too.

yup, and fog formation
even for snow formation too!

Righto. I will put the option to show dew point in the next update. Will post a message here when it’s done.

I have done the update and a new version is available in the Android Market.

Installed the new version with the new dew point option. Unfortunately with all the options checked the display line is too long, leaving the dew point unviewable. Unchecking one of the other options reveals the dew point. And now I’m wondering if barometer can be added as well.

I still would like a background of some sort, too. ;^)

Small update to the widget: I have enlarged the background black cloud image. This might help a bit.

If you like the widget, please rate it and leave a nice comment on the Android Market. Thank you.

That definitely helps.

A couple of other ideas:

• Make the action buttons smaller.
  • Move the action buttons to the bottom, pushing the text up, might center it over the cloud better.
  • Remove the web button and put the settings button on the right side. Replace web button function with pressing on the widget itself.

A couple of small updates done and there is a new version of the paid for widget on the market.
I’ll update the free version with the same changes soon.

I’m thinking of doing away with the 3 buttons at the top if possible. Ideally if the user clicks anywhere on the widget then a dialog is shown and the user could select one of the 3 actions that the 3 buttons currently perform. This would give a bit more space on the widget for more data / larger text.

Just Purchased this as well great widget only suggestion is i also find the text a little small would be nice to have it as an option to change size

Thanks
Trevor

can you make the image any bigger? I have it on my droid x and it is very small?

I am also finding some errors. today’s rain is 0.29 inches, it shows as 3.44 inches. the barometer is 29.85 and it shows 29.9 . I am looking at the anenometer and it has moved and I am reading 1.3 mph wind.

www.aardvarkweather.com/weatherdata/clientraw.txt

I downloaded the widget but I only see the free version. Where do you find the full version? :oops: Have mercy, my first widget download on a new phone!

Thanks, Doug

@scudlly: I am looking at removing the 3 images into a popup choice to give more space to the parts of the widget and make the text a bit bigger.
@aardvark: which image do you mean make bigger? do you just mean make the whole widget bigger? also I will look into the possible rain inches bug. The barometer measurement is probably being rounded. I will increase decimal places to 2 in the next update.
@dwesley226 the full version should be there. searching for ‘autumn it’ on the market should find it. here is a link that may help:
https://market.android.com/details?id=uk.autumnit.android.weather.widget.Paid

I appreciate the quick response… I am talking about the widget image… I don’t know if it is possible but for this aging aardvark, the tiny print is hard on my eyes…

You know I am glad you are doing this, I see that Weatherlink has one for the iPhone and I asked them if they were doing it for the android and they are not but would refer it to … not sure.

I do appreciate it.

Got it, thanks.Was searching Weather Watch Widget and didn’t see it. I left it at the 30min default default. I am on the 2gig plan. Wonder what the usage is per update? Might change to 10min updates.

New version uploaded (free and paid) which fixes the rain inches bug (well spotted aardvark - I think that had been there since day 1).
Also the pressure is now rounded to 2 dp (instead of 1) if it’s shown in inches.
The layout changes (to increase text size) will take longer so I don’t really know when I’ll get round to that.

One thing I forgot, aardvark mentioned this:
" I am looking at the anenometer and it has moved and I am reading 1.3 mph wind."
Can you give any more explanation?

@dwesley226: the data usage will depend on the size of the clientraw.txt file. Mine currently is 704 bytes so you could estimate daily usage depending on update frequency. It’s not going to be very much though. By my rough calculation I’d say 500KB per day if you update once every 2 minutes. 100KB per day if it’s once per 10 minutes.

it is reading something now a 0.9 and again, the anenometer isn’t moving so I don’t know where it is getting the reading.

It’s the 10 minute average windspeed. Position 158 in clientraw.txt.