WD rain issue (console not logger)

Ok Brian pointed out that the other thread similar to this one is for a logger, so i need
to start one for my issue… I have also taken into consideration that i have a modified
bucket, tip set at .3718mm

To cut a long story short, when it rains hard WD does not catch all the data.

I have just gone out with 30mm and emptied it as slow as i could (not very lol)

Console rate at 430mm/hr WD rate 87.29mm/hr
Amount of rain 30mm WD amount 1.5mm (should have been about 8.0mm i think)

Also bearing in mind that more than likely there was already some rain in the tipper
so in effect it should have been a bit more…

I am having the same issue with my ws-2308. We had some moderate rain and WD missed .04 inches of rain when compared to what the console reported. This wasn’t an issue until I upgraded from revision 15? to the current 17 of 10.37f. Does anybody have a copy of Rev 15 or 16?

James

but james, why not instead work with my and do some testing and lets see if we can improve the situation?
bashy, are you sure you have the modified rain gauge tip setting correct for the funnel size, etc?

What do we need to do? I’ll help in any way I can! We should be getting some moderate to heavy rain tonight sometime. (Washington State)

James

i will look at increasing the threshold to reject large rain tips (i.e for spike detection (which is common with the 2310 station (for people who have not wired it up with new wiriing)

I haven’t wired it up with new wiring, but I do have the console hooked up directly to the hygro sensor with ethernet cable so I get an update every 8 seconds…

James

try 10.37g, full install, ready soon

Hello, James,

How do you manage to get 8-second readings from your machinery? I wonder if it’s possible on my machine, which only seems to record each 32-seconds or 128-seconds depending on wind speed. Is there some trick to this or is your machine simply more capable than mine?

For the record: I have introduced a larger funnel to my rain gauge (around the 0.21 adjustment level). During heavy rain - and this also applied before the modification - the console seems to take time to catch up. This is evident after a heavy downpour when, after the event, the console is still incrementing values even though the rain has ceased. I have hard-wired my unit, using telephone cable, the batteries merely acting as back up for power loss incidents.

Cheers,

On my ws-2308, it will update every 8 seconds when hardwired and if wireless it updates between 32 and 128 seconds depending on the wind, etc…

James

Thanks for the information, James. It looks like your equipment is a bit better than mine.

Windy, Just d/l’d ‘g’ and will let you know how things go. Assuming that we get heavy rain tonight like forecast. :slight_smile:

James

Hi Brian

with regards to the correct setting, I got the info from the 1st page of this thread
It used to be kojacks funnel and he helped me set it up (tip setting)

i take it 10.37g wont make any difference with me?

Its gonna rain tomoz Brian so lets see how it pans out, i cant really make any
assumptions untill i have seen more data, i dont think adding water to the bucket
is the best way to test this to be honest i think even the console cannot keep up
I can now see what yesterdays was (when i added 30mm of water) and its says
8mm, so it looks like i poured it too fast (even though it was in drips lol)

Lets see what happens tomoz (as long as it dont crash lol)

Cheers Brian, will let ya know

Hi Bashy
How much is 30mm water?
If you pour 30ml water in your raingauge it will tip 3 or 4 times, (3,82) and with

bucket, tip set at .3718mm
wd will show 1,5mm

:slight_smile: Krister

Cheers kv, i didnt think a manual pouring would work some how lol #-o

Actually, pouring a set amount of water into a rain gauge is a very good way to test if it is tipping properly. Just pour the water in slowly.

I’ve tested my VP rain buckets several times this way.

so with regards to my 1st post, with the 30mm that i poured in (slowly) that data that wd
reported is correct, or there abouts, what with the offset i have for my bucket?

Like i say, i am due for a wee touch of the damp stuff tomoz, so i will reset my console and see
what it amounts to when i get home, as long as wd dont bomb out on me lol

How did you measure ‘30mm’ …what did you measure the 30mm in ?

a meat baster :oops: pmsl…
Was the only thing i could find that would pour, i could let it come out in drops :slight_smile:

…and this meat baster measures in ‘mm’ ? …are you sure ?

Yep 100%
excuse the blured image, it was a quickie