WD Crashing

Weather Display 10.30p running Server on Windows 2003 machine. Does realtime FTP to move clientraw.txt to website. Problem seemed to start when I moved WD to new server. Two main problems. Biggest problem is periodic shutdowns. When this occurs, the typical error as recorded in programerrorlog.txt is:

ERROR: Invalid pointer operation at time/date11:56:01
Above error or program log occured at :11:56:01 PM 12/15/05

The last series of errors resulting in a WD shutdown looked like this:
ERROR: Invalid pointer operation at time/date 11:58:01 PM 12/15/05
Above error or program log occured at :11:58:01 PM 12/15/05
ERROR: Invalid pointer operation at time/date 11:59:01 PM 12/15/05
Above error or program log occured at :11:59:01 PM 12/15/05
Normal daily resetting wind/temperature daily value , day: 16
Above error or program log occured at :12:00:00 AM 12/16/05
Normal daily resetting rain daily value , day: 16
Above error or program log occured at :12:00:01 AM 12/16/05
ERROR: Invalid pointer operation at time/date 12:00:04 AM 12/16/05
Above error or program log occured at :12:00:04 AM 12/16/05

In addition, I recently see ftp errors from the realtime ftp program. Unfortunately, I seem to have to shut that program down and then restart WD and I lose the errors. What happens is that the ftp stops connecting to the website, and I see multiple resets of the ftp connection, but it never works. Instead I have to shutdown WD, restart it, and then everything works ok.

I do not have the restart or reboot thing checked on the “Extras” page. I read the complete thread a few screens ago on this section, but nothing seems to help.

Thanks

for the real time ftp, tick, restart instead of relogin, in the real time ftp setup in the webfiles/web page setup
for wd problems, try running the latest debug version (i have just uploaded 10.31c debug) as it should give more information on the errors

Thanks, Brian,

Assuming you’re suggesting going to Control Panel → Web Files/web page and then selecting the real time ftp tab, that selection doesn’t seem to exist. Seems like I’ve seen it somewhere, though, but it isn’t in the General FTP functions either. I’ll keep looking.

I am downloading 10.30w debug and will install it at both client and server. I’ll post the results here.

Thanks again,

Should be there see http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10872

It’s about in the middle of that page next to the boxes with Every 5 minutes, Every 10 minutes, Every 30 minutes.

–Dave

Got it - thanks, guys - don’t know how I missed it. Version running now called “beta.exe”. 10.31c. We’ll see what happens.

Installed 10.31c debug version. Last night in the middle of the night, WD crashed and somehow brought down the server (Windows2003).
First time that has happened. Woke up today to see logon screen. I am not certain where to trace WD errors, but a couple of things did happen. W2003 has some kind of protection scheme. When I logged on, it told me that there had been a problem with WD and that it had to shut it down. It also offered me the chance of having the protection system ignore WD. I told it to go ahead. Then I looked at the logs generated by W2003. All were normal except WD. It showed this after the normal startup stuff:

Fault bucket 03681687.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Reporting queued error: faulting application WeatherD.exe, version 10.30.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
Fault bucket 204154553.
Reporting queued error: faulting application updateLists.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module updateLists.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00001cbe.
Fault bucket 204154553.
Reporting queued error: faulting application updateLists.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module updateLists.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00001cbe.
Fault bucket 204154553.
The content index filter for file “c:\wdisplay\logfiles\indoorlog.txt” generated content data more than 8 times the file’s size.

If the Debug version of WD writes out something, let me know what and where it is and I’ll send it to you.

The WD debug sends Brian an email. You’ll have to tell him your computer name though. I had the same crash last night. Also VP2 and 1-wire lightning. Didn’t have the debug running as the last several versions have been very stable for me. I’ll see if it happens again as the virus scanner did run last evening but thought I had it set not to scan WD.
The program errorlog had this:
ERROR: Access violation at address 00C5874E in module ‘WeatherD.exe’. Read of address 00000344 at time/date 9:18:51 AM 12/17/2005
Above error or program log occured at :9:18:51 AM 12/17/2005

–Dave

Thanks, Dave,

Name of the computer (where WD is installed as server) is Mars2, and it’s a Windows 2003 Server. Connection to the internet is via an SDSL modem and the Windows server gets to it via a SonicWall TZ-170 firewall. Outside of DNS, DHCP and WINS services, the only other application running was Homeseer v2, and that has now been moved to a Windows 2000 server. The network looks like this:

SonicWall TZ-170 to sdsl
Windows 2003 Server (AD) - Mars2 - on 24hrs.
Windows 2000 Server - Mars
Windows 2000 Pro - Neptune
Windows 2000 Pro - LMRWkstn (also has WD installed as client)
Windows 2000 Pro - BJRWkstn
Windows 2000 Pro - Uranus
Windows XP - LMRLaptop
Linux - Venus (backup fileserver, a Linksys EFG-120 off most of the time
Linksys WRT54GS wireless router

all of those devices connected to a 10/100 switch.

Just checked out your page. Looks nice and really like the MML map. Did notice that your link to WDL is the same as your home page.
–Dave

Thanks. There is a revision here along with two more pages showing pictures and a bunch of other stuff. The real link will change - all the extensions will now be .shtm instead of .htm or .html as I’ve started to use server side includes, so to get there you will use http://home.lmr.com/weather/index.shtm. Yes, the WDL is index.shtm, or at least it will be! They are not done yet - I have a problem limiting the size of the masthead using css. Thanks again.

Not to hijack this thread but I noticed this afternoon the WD crashed on me. Running 10.31c. The main WD screen was still open and the clock timer on the screen was working, no uploads were being done and no data was being collected. A restart of WD got it going again. There was an “access violation” error in the error log but lost it in my cut-n-paste before I could copy it here. Anyways, if you need more info I can get it if you let me know what you need.

HobbyTalk,

You might want to mention what OS you are using and what are it’s resources.

Here, WD crashed again this morning at about 8:06 EST which is around 13:06 UTC. The only output from programerrorlog.txt says:

Normal daily resetting wind/temperature daily value , day: 18
Above error or program log occured at :12:00:00 AM 12/18/05
Normal daily resetting rain daily value , day: 18
Above error or program log occured at :12:00:01 AM 12/18/05

Not certain what I should do now.

Yes. It came down as beta.exe, but was labelled as the debug version. I believe it is 10.31c

If it is significant, I noticed that today it seems to have crashed at exactly the same time it did yesterday. When I restarted the program, it started loading data from hour 8 minute 6, (VP logger) same as yesterday.

Are you using any type of anti-virus program? I found problems occuring at the same time and traced it back to that. WD doesn’t like to be scanned while it’s running. :slight_smile:
–Dave

Yes, Dave, we are. We use AVG which loads on the server (where WD is running), but it is absolutely essential to our network. The server periodically downloads updates from the internet, and then satellite programs download the updates from the server. I could change that so that each machine downloads it’s updates from the internet directly, but I can’t turn AVG off as this machine is on and sits on the internet 24x7.

However, there may be a way that I can prevent AVG from scanning the WDl directory and the set of subdirectories beneath that. I’ll check.

Thanks for the input.

AVG is the one that was crashing mine. 6 was bad, 7 some better but still caused the occasional crash. I switched to avast! which slows my connection down. But I guess better slow than sorry.

–Dave

Oh no! It turns out that 8:00am is not only the time that WD is crashing, it is also the time that AVG does it’s scanning. It seems like too much of a coincidence. However, v7.1 does have a facility to eliminate scanning of certain directories, thank goodness. I will try eliminating c:\wdisplay and subdirectories, although with how much WD access the net (my website, mostly, but NOAA as well) I wish I didn’t have to do this. Hopefully, the firewall will protect it.

Well, thanks Dave, even if it wasn’t the news I wanted to hear. I’ll try the above and report back here tomorrow. Again, thanks and have a happy holiday.

I’ve used AVG for years without a problem, I just wonder if WeatherD.exe is ‘fighting’ with AVG ?