VP2 Display Showing wrong wind speed

Hi Just refurbished my Anemometer and wind direction indicator because I though that the reed relay was playing up.(fitted new reed and lubricated and checked direction pot) I tested the unit on the bench with a led/resistor and 3v up to the unit and with the scope had very good and stable pulses out with a constant wind(wife’s hairdryer).
Fitted the unit back on the roof and all seemed well - when the wind speed on the VP2 went to anything from 175Kph to 250kph. Fired up WD to check and discovered it was reporting about the correct wind speed and direction. Now I am really confused. It looks like a problem in the VP2 display but before I tear that to bits has anyone had a similar problem?

Hi
this is likely to be a ground loop problem
try grounding the console…or run that on batteries…or use a DC convertor with a ground pin on the 3 point plug or try grounding the anenometer pole

Update on Wind speed problem
I am still getting 140 150 kph on the VP2 as of this morning.I have fitted filters on the leads( torroids) and tried disconnecting the PSU its (a wired system) and I still have the same problem. I should also add that both the VP2 and WD are showing the same values. I think in all my fiddling I had inadvertantly pressed the wind button on the VP2 and was looking at degrees(my excuse I was tired!)
lugging the scope into the garden at the moment is not an option as its raining hard. Earthing/grounding the pole w’not make any difference as nothing on the anemometer is connected to ground. I knew I should have stayed in bed!!!

Been out most of day and arrived home to find the system running and recording the correct wind speed, so all I can do is just monitor it until it malfunctions again, I have had the system in the same place since 2006 and up until Sept. of last year it has worked without any problems apart from replacing the temp/humidity sensor.
As this appears to be an intermittant fault. It will have to stay as it is until we get some better weather, however if anyone has had this problem I would be pleased to hear about it.

I have now found the problem, solving it may be a bit tricky.
I trawled through all of the data logs and found the date that it started and the normal duration of the high wind speed. In the main it would start at 0830 in the mornings and end around 1700. I then looked at what was coming on at about that time and realized it was the Solar panels on the roof. So went to the garage where the inverter is located and using a tranny radio on medium wave I have wall to wall S9 noise from the inverter, this noise is feeding back up the dc lines to the panels. Because the Anemometer is on the end of the roof and about 2 metres above the panels which act as a antenna S9 noise is induced into the downlead to the ISS. It manifests itself as maximum pulses hence 150 kph for long periods.
I have contacted The Installers and they say the panels need new crimp connectors, which, I am told should solve the problem. ~The panels are 2 years old! #-o This will be done under guarantee (phew) Having said all that I suspect it is the actual inverter that is producing the hash so will be fitting ferrites on the dc leads. time will tell!

interesting find!
I have solar power but luckily do not have this problem with my Davis :slight_smile: