Vantage Pro2 Serial Data Logger- where to purchase?

Hi,

The Vantage Pro2 ran ok for the last 2 years and now suddenly stopped (I had problems in the beginning when it locked up constantly). Now it is doing the same again.
I tried to install it on another machine and the machine hangs up when looking for the USB Express driver (or whatever it is called).
I’m sick of this stupid USB data logger.
Is there any place where I can purchase the serial data logger without the software (which I have already)? I don’t even use Weatherlink (I purchased Weather Display from Brian).
I’m in Australia so if anybody knows where to buy the serial data logger for a decent price, could you please let me know. I believe $262.00 plus postage is far over the top for this crappy data logger.
Thanks heaps!

One more thought- would a USB to Serial adaptor work or will I end up with the same problems?
Thanks again.

I think I’m right in saying that it shouldn’t be looking for the USB Express drivers, unless you want to run it with USB Express, which will cause problems with WD?

What have you tried to correct the lock up problems? I had this to start with and changed the Davis USB cable to one from a camcorder that was thicker and had a ferrite choke at one end. I then added a second ferrite choke to the other end and made sure that the USB cable didn’t run near any other cables that carried power to anything.
Not had any problems since. :wink:

Hi Budgie,

The station with data logger ran ok for nearly 2 years. Then I unplugged it from my machine and wanted t install it the next following day on another machine. On the new machine I installed Weatherlink software and that recognizes the Vantage Pro2 and receives data. Then I installed WD as Brian described and doesn’t find the station. I tried every COM Port. In Device Manager>COM Ports there is only 1 COM Port (the ones on the motherboard).
I removed the data logger now and will leave it out overnight.

When you installed Weatherlink softwear did you pick USB or serial in the setup? If you picked USB that is the problem, you should pick serial. The logger gets set to USBexpress only. You can change the logger back for serial, download program from Davis or look on the CD for the program to change it back. Never choose USB in the Weatherlink setup if you want to run WD.

Oh, I did choose USB.
How do I reverse it since I’m unable now to install the WS? When I plug in the WS into the USB port, a little icon comes up looking for USBExpress and 3 seconds later it hangs up.

Here’s the FAQ to take care of that http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/31666

• Jim

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This fixed it.
It would be probably still best to get a serial data logger. Could anyone recommend a good deal?

Give Joe a try at http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_WeatherLink_6510_SERIAL_p/d-6510ser.htm

$160au approx and free delivery i have had many dealings with Joe

I am also in Australia down in geelong Victoria have quite a few purchases very fast delivery great service

Hope that helps
Regards
Trev

Thanks Trev.

I think the USB logger issues are largely solved although as above it could be made clearer what you need to do.
So I’d be inclined to stick with what you have now really.

Not to throw this off-topic too much, but reading these kinds of posts regarding the Davis datalogger are exactly the reasons why I don’t switch.

I just cannot understand why Davis didn’t build logging directly into the console like many other station brands (namely, the LaCrosse 2310, or even the one I currently own, the Irox/Honeywell TE923W).

Especially when many of those other brands are so much less expensive than the Davis offerings.

I hear what you are saying, and from other info on the internet it appears that the actual component cost of the logger is very small, but the way it is now has given them the flexibility to introduce different versions of the logger. When the VP first came out USB wasn’t at all common as an interface, now the VP has serial, USB, IP, and a couple of other special versions available. Maybe it was just too much to do at the time the VP was introduced so they just used the logger which they already had in production from the earlier station. I still have somewhere the famous “we screwed up” letter from Davis apologizing to those of us who had placed early VP orders for badly missing the intro date.

I looked at a number of stations before ordering that original VP, 2 VP’s and 2 VP2’s (I have two locations) and a lot of years later I can say that I don’t regret the decision, and the (serial) interface, after some initial work with Brian to get it fully implemented in WD, has been bulletproof.

Sure the VP is expensive, maybe double the cost of e.g. a WMR200, and doesn’t fit everyone’s budget. But it’s a well built station, with sheltered sensors, a rain gauge bigger than a coffee mug, and real, US based, support. How many times have you seen postings on forums expressing great satisfaction with the response from OS, or LC, to a phone or email support request? How many times have you seen “I had a brand X station but it’s died and now I’m looking for something better” postings? How many times have you seen “I need to buy or build a shelter for my sensors” postings?

But don’t get me started on their non-US pricing strategy :roll: