Vaisala system

Hello, if the price was the second priority, what sensors and interfaces from Vaisala would I need to measure:

• temperature
  • humidity
  • air pressure
  • wind (speed & direction)
  • direct solar radiation (W/m2)
  • snow (presence is enough)

Are there also sensors to provide location (NWSE) of the clouds?

Thanks!

Most of my kit is Vaisala and I measure all the items you mention apart from snow, as we really dont see much here. I should also mention that all of it is second hand and runs very well indeed. However, are you going to use an interface with WD as I do not believe you can link direct with sensors. Such an interface may well affect your choice .
AS for cloud positions then the best way is to use the free Eumetsat downloads. A ceilometer can give heights of clouds, but I have never heard os sensor which gives positions.

The choice of the data aggregator is not done yet. I should assume either WD or some other (industrial?) choice.
If it’s not too much of a secret - could you list the part numbers, please? I’m working on a research project at the moment and have no experience with Vaisala systems so far. Other option is Davis where I’m strong but I’d like to have 2 alternatives. Reliability and accuracy are the main drivers here.

Sorry I cannot help with the part numbers as most of them are outside on tope of a mast or similar. Others have had the details fade with weather, although the kit still keeps going and going. I do have a PTB 100A barometer. I have had it for a decade and I bought it second hand. The only problems I have are the occasional fault with the data logger. Really easy to use, even with a Labjack, which is what I have, and setup up is very straight forward with a Campbell Scientific data logger. Mine is a CR10X. Obsolete years ago but still going well.

I have some Vaisala stuff. Their all in one WXT stuff (where there is no snow) seems dependable, I have a 510 and 520 running.

Don’t overlook the packages and parts offered by Campbell Scientific. They provide a lot of research grade stuff to Universities and the Government. Some pieces are from RM Young, which also has a wide range of just about everything you need.

I have a Vaisala and Young barometric sensor and were easy to interface to the Campbell datalogger. An Apollo barometric pressure sensor I got on the cheap works just as well when I track on against the other and are like $100 brand new from Apollo.

I prefer RM Young wind monitors for durability and standards. They aren’t the anemometer but wind vane type, but you can easily find them. Pulse output or 4-20 ma current loop. Lots of options.

For Temperature/humidity in my mind the RM Young sensors are far and away easier to interface than the Vaisalas that I have played with, but both are tracking exceptionally close when run side by side.

Of course tipping bucket rain is a wide field, with Young, Campbell, Handar, High Sierra and the Texas Electronics gold colored anodized units frequently on eBay or if you got the cash, directly from them.

While much of the ‘ordinary’ stuff from Vaisala has their manuals online, I did find that there just wasn’t anything on their site about the more rare Present Weather Sensors or the Visual Range sensors, so I’m not sure what they are up to with that approach. Take a look at the WXT530 if you have no snow or little snow. I’ve had my (purchased used) ones up for some time and other than replacing the barometric sensor in one of them, they do quite well. Just get the bird spikes option if it doesn’t have them.

Oh, a random train of thought going on here, one of the people I saw some messages from a couple years ago had an envious system of an RM Young 92000 ResponseONE weather transmitter feeding a green lit display and then relaying those data display points on to a couple of secondary displays in his house (the 28600 Translator can simultaneously output a data string over it’s RS232 port to you data logger or weather station software such as Weather Display) in the exact string format you need, very versatile).

I can’t find the fellow’s web page for his station, but the ResponseONE worked well for him since the location has minimal or no snow. I have problems with the Vaisala WXTs, despite the built in heaters running, keeping snow off the rain sensor dome, and when it builds up there, it interferes with the wind direction/speed ultrasonic units.

Hope you get your project going and enjoy it. It can be addicting! Dale

Thank you both for your answers. The data logger should communicate to the server in a custom format. I’m not sure whether we will use WD or something else. I will see how the project develops and will take decision then. For now, I think I have sufficient information.

I would agree with all tat Dale Reid has said, but I think there are some significant problems that you face here. What is your budget? This will play a very significant part in what you decide to do. What are you wanting to do with the data? For personal enjoyment then the need for research grade kit may not really be necessary. If it is for research then you will need to buy new kit, properly calibrated, from one of the suppliers mentioned above, so that any subsequent papers are justified by accurate recording. I have Loggernet and DAQfactory with my two electronic stations. WD comes in when feeding data to other locations which you cannot do with either of those two. Housing and exposure will of course be important as you are aware. If you could give us some ideas about your intentions with the kit, then there is so much talent on this site it will become relatively easy for you to get the best kit you need at the best price.