Preparing customscreen/signaturebanner

G’day,

This probably does not belong here, but I can’t see where it’d fit better. Anyway, I notice that many users of this forum have a signaturebanner or customscreen in their footer

Rick, I have several I have made under View - Custom Screens:
My most recent one…

Another:

Plus the one I use in the Signature below.
There is a sticky on this process in here in Graphics I think but also in the Wiki section too I think.
Try here by Niko in the WD - FAQ’s

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/31532

[OOPS! Wrong one - Budgie has provided the one I knew about below… thanks ;)]

But yes, there is a default one you can have WD make easily in the Summary.Gif section under Control Panel.

Creating your own signature or custom screen…
You need the tagslist.txt file open - from the wdisplay root, to add in the sorrect tag for data. Use Ctrl-F to do a search within the file. Leave the page large to start with and reduce it later as the custom tags are placed below about 500 pixels down. It’s fun - have a go. You can import a graphic you may have edited in a graphics utility and then import graphic into the custom page, such as I did below although I arranged the titles of the tags carefully in another narrow font beforehand. You can add text as a new field just without a tagname as I did with the title of the top one, or add text as a prefix to the tagname.

Hi Rick,

The FAQ for making a customscreen is HERE in the FAQ section and once you have made it and it’s uploading to your website then go into your Profile > Forum Profile Imformation > Signature and enter something like this:

[img]http://www.yoururl.com/customscreen.gif[/img]

If you want your signature to link to the your website then enter something like this:

[url=http://www.yoururl.com]
[img]http://www.yoururl.com/customscreen.gif[/img]
[/url]

Thanks heaps Martin and Graeme. I’ll have a go tomorrow. Most appreciated. :smiley:

Cheers,

Rick

Again, thanks Martin and Graeme – as you can see, I’ve done it, albeit with a degree of difficulty :smiley: :smiley: :D. My main problem was that when in editing mode, what I saw on the screen is not what is seen here. The time and date fields are much more to the right than as set and I had a big area to the right that wasn’t supposed to be there. Anyway, I’ve cheated and it looks fine. Thanks for your help.

However, I do have one remaining problem that you or someone else might be able to help me with. I’d like to replace summary.gif with my customscreen.gif on my website. I’ve been into Control Panel > Internet File Creation & Uploads > File #18 – please see attachment to see what I’ve done. But it doesn’t work and I can’t think of where else I might look. Can you hlep me with this, please.

Also, any suggstions as to how I can get the date and time to line up better? I just can’t get it right, especially as what I see in the editing screen is not what I see here.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick,

I take it that you want the customscreen on the page where you have the old WD web-page details?
If so, then you need to change the HTML code in the wxlocal**.html file in your WD webfiles folder.
Look towards the top of the page for were it says “summary.gif” and change that to the name of your customscreen image (customscreen.gif or customscreen.jpg) and on the next upload of that page then it will show.

I would remove the changes to the summary.gif upload page that you posted as this may confuse the situation. What you’re doing with the changes you made is changing the file name of the summary image to customscreen.gif. The image itself won’t change, only the file name. :wink:

Martin.

Ricky - what Budgie is saying is that it will try and upload the current summary.gif with the same same as the customscreen.gif that is also being uploaded. Leave the setting in the image is summary.gif, and even cancel the uploads of it if you don’t want it.

All you really have to do is say you want to edit the file as Budgie said changing out the summary.gif for customscreen.gif and it should all be good to go. The date and time look fine to me…

Graeme

Hi Martin and Graeme,

Sorry guys, but there are two wxlocal** files in c:\wdisplay, but none in wdisplay\webfiles. Of the two I found, neither have a reference to summary.gif. Sorry to bug you, but any other suggestions?

Done. Thanks and most appreciated.

I guess I’m a bit anal retentive. The date is a tad lower than the time and I’d like them on the same plane. However, I guess that’s not to be. My problem – live with it!

Cheers,

Rick

What is feeding your wxadvanced.php page which has the Summary.gif on it? There must be a .txt file creating that…

About the time and date thing - yes I did see a one or two pixel height difference, that is fixed with good eyesight and patience using the Shift key after enabling the shift/Resize function top of the list when editing a customScreen page. Just care with the shift and the mouse movement. It would be good to have a “nudge” up or down, left or right function using arrow keys… :slight_smile:

Hi Martin,

Yes please.

There is no wxlocal** in my wdisplay\webflies folder, but there are two in wdisplay. Neither of these seem to be html files

My signature banner is huge ever since introducing a background image, for the life of me can’t resize it or get it back to what it was. Any help?
It is not a cutom made but one setup from the signature banner page in WD. TIA. (as seen below)

BRGDS,

patrick

When tired, hurt or angry, best not to work on website.

p.