Pool Temp using WD Dallas 1-wire feature

Instead of always posting troubles I figured I’d show a successful use case using the WD Dallas 1-wire feature. I struggled to figure out how to get my pool temp displayed and logged for years but figured it out using my already running WD system. I took some 2” pvc pipe and put caps on both ends. Drilled a hole in the end cap and bought a 100mm brewers stainless steel thermowell ($17) to slide a cheap dallas 1-wire chip into.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F28B6C8?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ZZC7BHMDMWNX1BEHEWNE

The water never touches the sensor this way. Just extended the water tubes that were going to my chlorinator anyway so the water now routes into this device and now out to the chlorinator. I used a couple muffler clamps on the pvc so it doesn’t roll around since it’s round.

Ran some cable out to the pool and connected it back to the WD computer. I was already using jpgraphs so just created a couple more for the pool. I also post it to my webcam data for the website. For the data storage I’m using the clientraw file being pushed to my website normally. I have a chron going on the website that hourly grabs the temp and stores it into a file. It’s a bit convoluted but it works so anyone interested let me know and I’ll post the php files. It’s been a year so I’ll have to figure out what I did :slight_smile:

Clearly I’ve gone a bit nuts on this but I think I’m all in for like $20 lol.

It’s been running for over a year now. Brian thanks for a great product and please don’t discontinue the Dallas 1-wire feature :slight_smile:

nice!
thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
what temperature does your pool get up to in the middle of summer?

Max 80F. Summers are not as long as I’d like in Boston area. :slight_smile:

that’s about 27c
I can get our pool up to 28c with solar heating on the roof (water pipes etc) :slight_smile:
the kids wouldnt get in until it was 28c