NWS weather alerts

Something seems to have changed in the NWS weather alerts. I am no longer seeing alerts. I am having a severe thunderstorm and can see the warning at the NOAA website. They must have made a change as WD is not getting the alerts either.

Regards,
Jim
www.altlaw.com

DISCLAIMER
Sorry but I am not familiar with these scripts
I used the readme as available on every users website

When I check your nws-alerts/nws-alerts-config.php file there is 1 item in the $myZC array

“Georgia|GAZ006|”

It is difficult to test as there is no warning for the zone GAZ006 / Fannin at 08:00 UTC

One can use a single county code. I tested with “xxxx|GAC003|” and that works.

xxxx
    Excessive Heat Warning - Expires: Friday 7/21/2023 6:00 pm

I used a single zone-code “aaaa|GAZ059|” and that works also.

aaaa
   Heat Advisory Heat Advisory - Expires: Friday 7/21/2023 5:00 pm

Maybe it was a local hick-up when the zone warning was not updated and the area codes were.
The readme advices to use a zone code plus 1 or more area-codes

“Georgia|GAZ006|GACxxxx|GACyyyy|GACzzzz”

Next time, please check it by visiting

and

One can check if there are warnings for that zone/area by clicking on it in the lists.

:slightly_smiling_face: And for you locals those codes and names have an understandable meaning.

Thanks Wim

Well, that’s interesting. I have never done anything other than put my zone code in easysetup nor done anything but put the zone code in WD and, for years, have gotten all these warnings. Then sometime in the last month or two, i guess, it quit working. I have added my C-code to nws-alerts-config.php. Its thunderstorm season so it wont go a day without some sort of warning. Yesterday between 4:00 and 6:00 P.M. 800+ lightning strikes and 2.39 inches of rain.

Thanks, i will report back…
Regards,
Jim

So I added the C-code for my county (Fannin) but also the C-code GAC103 (Atkinson) because they have an active heat warning and the heat warning showed up fine.

I notice that NWS says on the web page that lets me look these up and it says:

NWS CAP v1.1 is being terminated. NWS CAP users should instead use CAP v1.2. Please see Service Change Notice (SCN) 17-35 for information about termination. See the NWS Common Alerting Protocol page for NWS sources of CAP v1.2 and updated documentation. An updated SCN will be released in the second half of 2022 with the projected termination date.

So i don’t know much about that. Perhaps all you needed for warnings under v1.1 was the zone and under v1.2 you need the C-code.

In any event, by adding the C-code, it seems to be fine.
Thanks for pointing me Wim.

Regards,

Jim