NOAA warning help #2

Hi all. Can somebody please punch in zone NYZ077 into NOAA warning and see if you come up with a flood watch? I just upgraded from 10.23c to 10.23p late this afternoon. Shortly after, a flood watch was issued for my area but it won’t show up. I’m getting “There are no active watches, warnings or advisories”

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/NYZ077.php?warncounty=NYC059&city=Valley+Stream

Thanks,

[quote author=windman link=topic=8561.msg59993#msg59993 date=1112312193]
Hi all. Can somebody please punch in zone NYZ077 into NOAA warning and see if you come up with a flood watch? I just upgraded from 10.23c to 10.23p late this afternoon. Shortly after, a flood watch was issued for my area but it won’t show up. I’m getting “There are no active watches, warnings or advisories”

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/NYZ077.php?warncounty=NYC059&city=Valley+Stream

Thanks,

Thanks Tom. I didn’t think it was the software. This is the second time this week I’m having a flood watch. The first time it worked for me except sometimes other additional advisories or short term forecasts would override the flood watch. I appreciate all the hard work your doing to get the warnings running smoothly.

Billy

Well, one thing I’m going to ask Brian when he gets back (don’t read this Brian)… is to add a second search for county codes… it appears NOAA puts them in for both zone and county.

I’m not sure what we can do for when NOAA doesn’t put anything in at all! (@#$!@#!!!)

It’s displaying the flood watch now Tom. It started working after an updated advisory came out about 9PM. I also see it now on that ny/alerts page now. Got a moderate to major flood event on the way this weekend. I may need an ark by the time it’s over. :wink:

Billy
http://www.billyswxstation.com/

I am having a similar problem in not getting any warnings at the newly added “There are no active watches, warnings or advisories” box at the top of the WD generated webpage. Running 10.23L on WinServer2003 and 10.23P on WinXP(client). I have metar downloaded and displayed in txt format on the webpage:
MAZ002-003-008>010-022300-
WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…CHARLEMONT…GREENFIELD…CHESTERFIELD…
BLANDFORD…AMHERST
400 AM EST SAT APR 2 2005

…FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL SUNDAY EVENING…

This show an active watch but the box does not. Is there some setup requirement that I have missed? Thanks

Check this below link and see if your flood watch is listed there. If it isn’t, that’s why it’s not showing as what was up with mine. As soon as it shows there, it should display in your box.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/ma.cap

Billy

[quote author=sawadee link=topic=8561.msg60123#msg60123 date=1112453899]
I am having a similar problem in not getting any warnings at the newly added “There are no active watches, warnings or advisories” box at the top of the WD generated webpage. Running 10.23L on WinServer2003 and 10.23P on WinXP(client).

Oh good Tom, your there. I let you handle this. Hey I have multiple advisories going on today but the scroller keeps displaying short term forecast instead of the most critical advisory. Was wondering if that happens to you too and is that the way it’s supposed to be?

Billy

The search finds the top advisory in the XML.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/alerts/ny.cap

We were all hoping NOAA prioritized the warnings… but apparently they don’t :frowning:

Apparrently not Tom. :frowning: Hmmm. I’m stumped on this one. Maybe it would be best to display them all including short term forecast instead of only one advisory?

Billy

That would have to be a request for Brian. I was actually thinking of it finding all of them and prioritizing which it lists (A warning, then a watch, then an advisory, then a statement).

Hey Tom. Just want to add a little more info here and let you know I think yor idea would be fine. I had multiple advisories as well as short term forecasts in effect all day yesterday. Since I’m so addicted to this program, I sat by my computer most of the day yesterday and watched the NOAA warning scroller closely. At least 90% of the time of the event, if not more, the scroller showed short term forecast. Only one in a while would an advisory break through but it wouldn’t last before short term forecast would start showing again. I was also watching someones site in Pennsylvania who has the scroller set up and was having mulitple advisories as well. Every time I checked his page, only short term forecast was showing. Another problem I’m having with the NOAA scroller today that I’ve seen happen a few times now over the past couple of months, is it occasionlly pulls up the wrong advisory. I just looked at my page and an advisory for Albany NY which looks kinda old was showing. I copy and pasted the text right out of my scroller. Notice the first 4 letters and numbers show my zone, NYZ077. Also my advisories come from NWS, Upton New York.

Z077.OKXNOWOKX.194700
…THE FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM EDT SUNDAY EVENING. THE WATCH
INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING AREAS…
CTZ001-013-MAZ001-025-NYZ032-033-038>043-047>054-058>061-063>066-
082>084-VTZ013>015-032200-
URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
1113 PM EST SAT APR 2 2005
…THE FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM EDT SUNDAY EVENING.
THE WATCH INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING AREAS…
IN VERMONT…
BENNINGTON AND WINDHAM COUNTIES.
IN NEW YORK…
ALBANY…COLUMBIA…DUTCHESS…GREENE…RENSSELAER…SCHENECTADY…
ULSTER…HAMILTON…MONTGOMERY…FULTON…WARREN…SCHOHARIE…
HERKIMER…SARATOGA AND WASHINGTON
IN MASSACHUSETTS…
BERKSHIRE.
IN CONNECTICUT…
LITCHFIELD.
HEAVY RAINFALL HAS ALREADY etc., etc., etc.

I then changed my zone number from NYZ077 to NYZ076, which is one county over to my west and then was able to get the proper advisory. Not even an hour later as I’m typing this, I put back in my proper zone, NYZ077 and now a new but correct adivsory is showing. I copy and pasted lines of the text right out of the scroller to show the same first four letters and numbers as in above advisory.

Z077>081-040000-
NASSAU NY-NORTHEAST SUFFOLK NY-NORTHERN FAIRFIELD CT-
NORTHERN MIDDLESEX CT-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN CT-NORTHERN NEW LONDON CT-
NORTHWEST SUFFOLK NY-SOUTHEAST SUFFOLK NY-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD CT-
SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX CT-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN CT-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON CT-
SOUTHWEST SUFFOLK NY-
614 PM EDT SUN APR 3 2005
.NOW…
A BAND OF LIGHT SHOWERS EXTENDING FROM LONG ISLAND TO SOUTHERN
CONNECTICUT WILL MAKE ITS WAY EASTWARD THROUGH LONG ISLAND. THERE
SHOULD NOT BE ANY SIGINIFICANT ACCUMUALTIONS FROM THESE SHOWERS. THE
BAND IS WEAKENING WITH TIME AND THROUGHOUT THE EVENING SHOWERS WILL
BECOME WIDELY SCATTERED.
$$

Are you using the latest version of WD?

Are you following my advice in the NOAA setup FAQ on how you input your zone in WD?

I’m am using the latest version 10.23p and no, I did not have the # sign before and the period after the zone but do now. Sorry I didn’t see that entry in the FAQ’s. But could that have anything to do with the short term forecasts always showing up during advisories?

Either that or it is setup that way in the NOAA XML data…

The #XXX000. should always find the right zone… but the order of advisories is determined by NOAA.

A good idea would be to have the #. shown on the setup screen if that does lead to better accuracy. I just followed what was shown on the screen. Thanks for all your help Tom. Will let you know how it works out.

Billy

I just wrote the Javascript… you’ll have to make suggestions like that to Brian. :wink:

Hi again Tom. Putting those extra symbols doesn’t seem to make a difference as I’m currently getting an advisory from Albany NWS again #-o. I havent changed anything or shut down WD since my last post.

Billy

About 20 minutes later or two 10 minute uploads, I’m now showing proper short term forecast for
my area :?. No other watches or warning in effect for my area right now.

Billy