No sensors found

I have an AAG 1-Wire Weather station which I have operated with WD for several months. Recently the computer went unstable and Win XP had to be re-installed. So WD had also to be re-installed. Now WD can’t see the station sensors. The problem is not connectors which used to be an issue for me because 1 - wire viewer can see and read the sensors. I have tried all 14 USB ports. Brian hinted at removing 1 wire dlls from the WD directory but I don’t see any identifiably, to me, 1 -wire ones. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
John

Hi John,

These are the files Brian said to delete from the wdisplay folder:

IB10E32.dll
IB90USB.dll
IB97E32.dll
IB97U32.dll
IBFs32.dll

Have a read through THIS thread if you have any problems.

If that doesn’t work then I managed to get my AAG working by using version 3.22 of the drivers, but this would only be if all else fails. :wink:

Many thanks. I moved the specified dlls out of the wd directory and WD is now reporting on the missing sensors. Now however I recall how sensitive my installation of WD is to lock up when working on the 1-wire set up page. I need to enter the ID numbers of 2 of the sensors into the wind direction and humidity boxes. Whether I try to type in the numbers or to select and copy them for pasting WD locks up. In fact if I touch the pressure gauge tab I get a lock up. Is there some trick here. Thanks
John

I’ve not experienced this problem John.
Do you have another type of weather station connected to the PC or is it just the 1-Wire?
If it’s just the 1-Wire then do you have 1-wire (Dallas) selected in the station setup window?

Also, which version & build number of WD are you using and what are the specs of your PC? These may help identify any compatibility problems. :wink:

Once again thanks for the reply. My software is V10.37i build 11. My station is all AAG: DS9490R USB adapter > Pressure Module > Humidity Module in faux Stevenson Screen (for temperature) > AAG Weather Head all linked by Cat5E cable. The rain gauge is currently not connected because the RJ11 connector on the weather head board is undersize but right now it doesn’t matter because the precip is still of the solid kind in the Ottawa Valley (30 - 50 cm forecast for next two days). My problem does not go away if I disable my virus checker and firewall. I have 1-Wire V3 station selected in the Weather Station selection box. I got a lock up when I closed that window just now.

When I set my station up last May the 1 -Wire window was even then very susceptible to lockups but with patience I was able eventually to select cut and paste the button numbers, from the list of those found, into the ID boxes. Even after this, with sensor readings coming in reliably, perhaps 30% of the time WD would lock up when I closed the 1-Wire and other screens. Now the sensitivity to lock up in any window is much worse and the lock up is 100% with any disturbance (mouse, attempt at data entry) of the 1-Wire Screen. I have managed by typing quickly to type in about two thirds of a button ID before lock up. With the mouse I can sometimes select half an ID but immediate lock up on the first click is just as likely.

Another peculiarity of my previous installation was that WD didn’t read the sensors continuously. At a time when I had a poor connection in the ethernet cable link it would read for say 15 seconds and then stop for a minute. When I resolved the connector issue the outage period was much less but still perhaps 25%.

My computer is a Pentium 4 2.66GHz running XP Home SP2. I have 2Gb of RAM. Computer is networked to two others via a router. The unit works perfectly with a wide variety of software and hardware. The only deficiency is that I cannot persuade it print to any of my printers from “DOS”

I hope I can get around the current problems and back to where I was before where everything ran perfectly if it was not disturbed!

Thank you

John

It does sound like there is something on the PC that’s causing WD to be so unstable.
Do you have anything running in the background that uses a lot of RAM and without WD running what is the nomal usage % ?
Have a look in the Task Manager > Processes to see if anything is using the RAM, then maybe try starting WD and monitor the task manager to see what is happening when you try to assign the ROM I/D’s.

If you can see the ROM I/D’s then maybe type them into Note Pad and copy from there and just try to paste each one into WD, see if that works. :wink:

There maybe some others on here who will have other ideas.

Speaking with the benefit of total ignorance of the 1-wire setup If it is just a matter of getting the numbers in, is there perhaps an alternative way…

I’m wondering if the values are just stored somewhere in WDISPLAY.INI? If so and you knew the correct section & key name you could maybe just type them in using Notepad or somesuch- with WD stopped at the time of course.

Just a thought…

You are quite correct, :thumbright: the ROM I/D’s are recorded in the WDISPLAY.ini file, about 3/4 of the way down the file.

Mine look like this:

[Dallas wind direction ROM ID]
N=
NE=
E=
SE=
S=
SW=
W=
NW=
soil moist slope=-0.0000695
Dir ROM ID=5000000000FECF20
Lightening ROM ID=E100000009FBCB1D
Wind ROM ID=3F0000000189881D
Temp ROM ID=4D0008001B3E0D10
Extra temp ROM ID=4D0008001B3E0D10
[Dallas wind direction]

I would back up the registry files (Action > Back Up Windows Registry Entries), close WD and then take a backup copy of the WDISPLAY.INI file before trying to alter anything!!
You can find the file in the C:\wdisplay or C:\program Files\wdisplay. If you’re not happy altering this file then don’t! We’ll find another way to get over the problem. :wink:

We’ll still have to try to find out why WD is so unstable when you try to enter data normally though. :wink:

If I am not following forum protocol it is because this is the first forum I ever joined despite many years web-enabled

The idea of entering the button IDs into Notepad and then cutting and pasting them into the ID boxes worked. Unfortunately every time I then tried to close the 1-wire screen by clicking the X in the top right hand corner WD locked up. On restarting WD I found that the numbers I had entered were not in the ID boxes

I monitored WD with Task Mgr on. CPU usage had been 0%, up to 4% if I touched the mouse

After double clicking the WD desktop icon, CPU useage was 100% for 11 seconds. It fell to zero until the WD display appeared at 20 secs. For the next 38 seconds CPU use was 32-45%

Thereafter there were two modes

A. WD reading data (square box flashing green)CPU 0-77% regular cycle
B. WD not reading data 16-29% variable, no regular cycle

Timed (roughly) the durations of these were (in seconds) successively:
B 30, A 30, B 15, A21, B60, A32, B68, A60 etc.

Wanting to see what happened when I accessed the 1-wire screen I clicked on Control Panel on the line which has Exit - Set Up - Control Panel- Action View -… The line disappeared (not uncommon for me). Nothing happened for 30 seconds - CPU useage was around 30% with random fluctuation and so I hit the x in the top RH corner just as the missing line came back but now WD locked and CPU useage jumped to 100% and stayed there.

The computer itself was not locked at this point because I was able to start up a couple of other programs - very very slowly.

When I tried to reboot the computer the End Program - WDisplay box came up and said WD was still running!

In connection with entering the button IDs into WDISPLAY.ini I would have no problem with that if I can use Notepad or Crimson to do the editing. I can also back up the registry files but I was frightened off the approach by the implication that the registry might thereby be altered. How would that be?

I hope this makes sense to some one. It has to be computer related.

Thanks

John

Some progress to report.
I saved the original wDisplay.ini under another name and modified it by adding the ROM id of my wind speed button. The id turns up in the correct box in the 1-Wire Window and WD now reads wind speed.It was already reading temperature.

Despite WD having put the ROM id for the direction module correctly in WDisplay.ini it is still not reading wind direction. The CPU useage pattern has changed. Periods with no data read vary a lot e.g 60,20,18,13,60 and 20 seconds with CPU useage fluctuation 18-29%. Read periods are more consistent e.g. 30,30, 24,29,31 seconds but the swings back and forth are no longer constant. The range is still 19-79% max but the trace looks like a modulation envelope with much of the time a saw tooth form. Very occasionally and briefly there will be 100% use.
John

Curiouser and Curiouser
On my computer WD seems to work as it should provided I make any changes to it only while it is searching for data from the sensors. Touch it while is not searching, which is much of the time, and it will lock up. By watching the CPU activity jump up in task manager which is the start of the data searching period I was able then to manually enter the ID of my humidity button. Now I can see wind direction and speed, temperature at the AAG head, humidity and temperature at the humidity module. If I can get a reading from my pressure module (tomorrow?) I will have everything (well with my rain gauge when I can get at it in the Spring). My sincere thanks to everyone for their prompting and ideas.

What is going on. What proportion of the time is WD supposed to spend searching the sensors for data.

John Boocock

Some good news then John. :smiley:

One tip though, when closing the 1-Wire screen try using the “Close” button on the screen rather than the red box exit button at the top right of the window. You can re-establish/reset the connection or check for new sensors by using the “Save/Restart” button on there as well. :wink:

In WD, to exit out of the program it’s better if you go to the command buttons at the top of the screen and hit “Exit” then “Save & Exit” from the drop-down. This makes sure that your settings and data are saved before the program shuts down. If you’re using the data logger then it will also make sure that the time of the program shut-down is logged so it knows the time to start retreiving data from you station.

On most of the other screens, when you’ve made changes to the screen then click on the “Save” button (if it has one) and then “OK” to exit out of that screen and back to the main WD screen.

Thank you for the tips Martin. Right now all of my sensors, now including pressure, are being read and reported by WDisplay which is where I wanted to be. I think that closes off the “no sensors” thread.

I would still like to know if the long “shut down” period between burst of data reception - it can be as long as 4 minutes- is normal and also whether the sensitivity to lock up while WD is not reading data is normal - it would make it easier to set up WDisplay the way I would like. I suspect that what I should do is start another thread

John

Maybe a good idea to start another thread John. :wink:

As for the frequency of the data, with my AAG I’m getting wind speed data once every 2-3 seconds from that with no gaps, apart from at the moment as I blew the USB adaptor during a lightning strike and I’m waiting for another one to arrive #-o.

do you think I would be safe in in inluding those updated drivers with the WD install?

It seems we get a lot asking which drivers need taking out of WD to get the 1-Wire working these days.
Is there any way of including them in WD, for those who do will need them, but maybe tuck them away in a folder so that they are only activated if needed?

Even if you could put them into a separate folder so that those who don’t need them can just delete that folder if they remain active in a separate folder. :wink:

if I dont include them, and they are not where they are expected, WD will not run
one solution is to include the latest dll files for the 1 wire, but in the installer, set to not overwrite the files if they exist already (e,g for people still on an older version)

I think I’d leave it as it is then Brian, unless there’s something to be gained by changing it that I’m missing, and that wouldn’t be the first time!! :lol:

Hello Brian
If only 1-wire users have to delete the drivers then leave them in and somehow tell the 1-Wire guys.
John