Multi-Sited Davis VP2+ with WeatherLink Live

Hi all,

My current setup is a Davis Vantage Vue on the roofline, and a Davis Datalogger to get live data to Weather Display. I’m not at all satisfied with the siting, for a myriad of reasons. My ideal setup is a Davis VP2+ with the Thermo-hygrogmeter, rain gauge, and Solar/UV sensors at ground level and the anemometer on the roofline, but it’s too far of a cable run between the two sites. I’m thinking about getting a WeatherLink Live module and a seperate standalone solar-powered transmitter for the anemometer, essentially transmitting from two stations. I know my console can’t handle data from two stations at once, hence the WLL.

My question is… if I decide to go with that setup, does Weather Display have the ability to ingest the data from both transmitters at the same time via WLL, taking the Temp, Humidity, rain, solar, and UV data from the one transmitter and the windspeed / direction data from the other?

Thanks,
Grant

Hi Grant

It does work through WLL. I have rain/temp/humidity on one transmitter and wind speed/dir+solar+UV on another one. I put solar/UV at the top of the mast because I get too many shadows at ground level.

I’m sure the Vue console had handle a separate wind transmitter without any problems - the VP2 console certainly can.

The question is: will defining a wind transmitter id over-ride the Vues wind speed? Again, I think it will, but you need a Davis dealer or someone else who has this config to confirm

That’s perfect! Great, now all I need to do is convince my wife to let me drop $1600 into a new weather station setup - no easy feat.

I want to say I kicked this idea around several years ago and even reached out to Davis about it. I believe they confirmed your concerns - that you can only listen to one station at a time, and one transmitter’s data will not override the others.

Thanks everyone!
Grant

Actually you may be right Mark. I think in my case it was moving solar and UV to the wind transmitter that broke things

I have a VP2 console and two transmitters.

I have the wind sensor connected to transmitter id #1, and T/H/R on the main ISS on id #2

I also have solar on the wind transmitter #1, the WLL can combine not only the wind and ISS like the VP2, but also the solar which makes transmitter #1 effectively another ISS.

[I have a second VP2 console which does receive all the solar, wind, and ISS - but it listens to transmitter #3 - this is a relay device I built that listens to transmitters #1 and #2, combines the data and retransmits it as if all the sensors were connected to transmitter #3!]

This seems to confirm the vp2 wind transmitter will override the Vue …

On a Vue console (which can receive data from VP2 ISS units as well as Vue ISS’s) there is the option to receive an anemometer as a Vue anemometer or VP2 anemometer. These have slightly different settings and a VP2 anemometer does need to be set to be received as a VP2 and not Vue anemometer for maximum accuracy

See: Wind issues - Davis Weather Stations Knowledgebase - 1

And: Setting and checking data channels - Davis Weather Stations Knowledgebase - 1