Members Web Page Listing

While finally seriously playing around with WDLIVE, I was searching thought the appropriate forum, clicking on folks links to their sites to see some examples on what people have done with it.
I also like to see members regular weather sites - really enjoyable to see all the different configurations.

So, maybe I am missing something somewhere, but do we have or could we create a page listing the member and their website?
It would make for a nice centralized location to take a look at all our handiwork.

How about NorCal Dan’s world map?

[quote author=nikoshepherd

I’ve been thinking about a board of managed links for things like this and WeatherWiki, etc. The board would only have a fairly small number of links though, because if it got to hundreds of them people would never find anything and everyone would want their link stickying at the top!

Have a look at Weather Display Live Featured Sites

Julian

I knew I saw that somewhere before Julian.
Is that page linked in the forum somewhere?

How about a page like that for non-WDL users also?

Something for us non-WD users would be nice - I like the world map idea, maybe another could be made for ANY personal weather station sites? If nobody else does I may be tempted if there’s interest :slight_smile:

That exists, it’s awekas http://www.awekas.at/en/index.php WD supports the data format, but I guess you can roll your own pretty easily.

[quote author=nikoshepherd

In the WD directory there is a file called clientrawdescription.txt. :wink:
–Dave

Except I don’t have WD :stuck_out_tongue:

But i did find some awekas files which look a lot more simple than clientraw, I think I can guess the format of them so I’ll give it a go!

EDIT:
Well that was the easiest bit of guesswork I’ve done in a while! I’m currently the only yellow dot in the south of England.

Thanks for starting this thread, Snowman. I don’t run Weather Display Live, but I do run Weather Display on a website, and several other things besides. It was your comments “what people have done with it” and “enjoyable to see all the different configurations” that really caught my eye.

Whilst I started out with a server running Weather Display, and eventually put up a website, it has become only one aspect of several things that I was involved in. The next stage was a local radio station grabbing the summary screen from Weather Display and presenting it on their website. Then, as they use FM, current weather conditions were summarised for display on suitable FM receivers using RDS.

The next stage was combining manual weather data with the newly acquired automatic data from the weather station in annual comparisons. So far this has been in the form of brief summaries on a blog e.g. “December weather in Tawa for last three years” (two of which were manually acquired).

Suddenly I found that there were three “front doors” to what I was involved with. My weather page, the local radio station which linked to my weather station, and my blog which linked to both. Its been a really interesting journey as the weather page just hums along, the radio station just grabs the data that it wants, and the blog is highly interactive. As time has gone on, the blog chews up more of my time (its not devoted just to weather) and the weather station keeps acquiring the data.

The interesting thing that I’ve found from the exercise, is that the weather station page attracts steady interest averaging about 30 visits per day. There are many more hits from 'bots and data engines, but human visitor counts only spike when there is a hot spell, windstorm or downpour and they want to watch the mm’s of rain falling each hour. The rest of the time, it seems that they prefer to have the weather info “packaged” via the blog or summarised via the radio station.

So, to return to the part of your post that really caught my eye - “what people have done with it” - in my case its quite different from simply running the weather station. That’s why I support the call for a page for members and their websites, as I’m sure that many users of Weather Display are presenting their weather data in more than just the usual formats. I’d be interested to see some of these alternatives.

Hope I’m not too far off topic. :oops:

My blog deals with more than just weather but can be seen at -
http://wildland.owdjim.gen.nz/
from there you can access the radio station and, of course, the weather station.

The Weather Web Sites board can be used to describe/publicise web sites and it’s not limited to just WDL sites.

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/c/12

Very nice post Zephyr -
This is part of my reason for this. As I look around at other sites, it gives me ideas of what more I can do with mine. Between the functionality of WD and the creativity of its users, it makes for some inspiration for others.

Chris - that section of the forum is fine the way it is - I just really like the layout of the WDL page - listed by location makes it easy to find, and all are on one page and categorized by location.

But that’s the page on weather-display.com - right? So Julian or Brian has to maintain it. Maybe Chris might be willing to set up a similar general weather web site index page if he had some volunteers to update it?

I think I might be able to generate one automatically based on people who have volunteered their clientraw.txt files for use in MML. It might need a little tweak to the MML system to record the country a station is in a little more accurately, but that wouldn’t be impossible. That might be another incentive to get people to register to provide their data :wink:

I’d be more than happy to take care of a page like that.

Edit: you posted just as I did Chris -

I’d support it too, I was not intending it to turn it into another big project for Chris.

The page may not need editing, or any real involvement one the initial script was created. If stations registered for MML clientraw.txt data collection had a standardised country recorded for them (from a pick-list like on the MML map creation page), then I could fairly easily create a page like http://www.weather-watch.com/site/component/option,com_bookmarks/Itemid,56/.

Hmmm, that has potential…