Maplin WH1080PC offer

I am moving to to the coast next week and I want to have a basic weather station, partly to keep an eye on the elemental weather we’ll get but also to log wind data to find out if the site is suitable for a small turbine.

Maplin have a weather station for sale for

I dare say Maplin says typical to cover there backs and will be referring to obstacles, such as walls and trees :slight_smile:

I have brought this weather station. Paid AU$80 which is less than 40 pounds on ebay (on ebay Australia they seem to be regularly selling for about this price). At this price, I think it is a great weather station and I suspect it will compete with anything I have seen for more than double this price. Range appears to be very good. I have no problem with approx 40 metres and most of my house, lots of metal and computing equipment, wireless gear etc between the console and the weather station. I think Windy who is the developer of Weather Display I think made the comment that he gets better range on this weather station than his Davis, which appears to be the benchmark for Weather stations.

On the plus :-

• price.
  • features
  • appears to be reasonable accurate (provided you place you temp sensor carefully as in the direct sun the radiation shield is not good enough…but better than another cheap weather station I have).

Cons :-

• easy weather software is a bit buggy. I can’t leave it running.
  • Weather Display is a good addon, but support is not seemless yet…but I think it is likely to be there soon. See more info on this thread.

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/32479

note that I am only comparing the range with my old VP1, the newer VP2 is much better than the VP1
Time will tell how often sensors would need to replacing with this new station :wink: (but you cant beat the price)