Lightning counter

Are there any pre-built units that will work with WD? I did not see any units at Dallas 1 wire. While I can hook thing together I am not able to wire a board. I did that 40 years ago with a Heath Kit. 8O

hobbyboards.com have them, but not pre built i dont think…

Hobby-Boards has a preassembled lightning detector board…
http://hobby-boards.com/1wireboards/ld3-r2_lightning_detector.html

All you have to do is connect an antenna and ground and make an enclosure, PVC pipe worked great for mine…

Looks like they may be out of stock at the present though :frowning:

Here is a picture of my PVC assembly:
http://jaxweather.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=0

-Bob

Just wanted to post a quick reply saying that we now have lightning detectors back in stock. And we have a new website.

Eric
www.hobby-boards.com

Hi again Eric,

Very nice looking redesign and the additional boards are impressive looking. Look for a solar sensor order from me in the near future :slight_smile:

-Bob

wow, some great looking boards there, great you now have a bray barometer (i.e people wont have the problem with WD and the AAG barometer)

just to remind people:
with any weather station and WD you can add these things, like extra temperature and extra temp/hum, solar, lightning counter, leaf wetness, etc
(its a bit tricky to set up, really need a FAQ…and there is a USB adaptors you can get from AAG too)

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry to hijack the thread.

Eric
www.hobby-boards.com

i see you are moving away from the jim jennings/bray design to the tim bitson one for the barometer :wink:

Yes I have started moving to the Bitson Barometer design away from the Bray design because I had issues with my board layout, the bitson design can be offered for a cheaper price, and there is only one calibration pot to deal with which makes it much easier to calibrate than the Bray design. Nothing against David Bray and Jim Jennings, their design and board layouts were good I just felt like it was a good time to make the switch.

Eric
www.hobby-boards.com

Thanks for all the responses. Aside from the mounting materials, grounding and so on, what else would I need to get the counter into my computer and then into WD?

the 1 wire adaptor (serial or USB) …AAG sells those…do you sell those too Ericvic?

Yes, I sell the serial version of the 1-Wire adaptor (the DS9097U). I also now resell the AAG Wind Instrument and a Rainwise rain gauge with 1-Wire counter. About the only thing I don’t offer is the USB 1-Wire adaptor. I’m sure I will offer it someday but capital fund are limited at the moment.

Eric
www.hobby-boards.com

AAG? Do you have a link?

see from this site:
http://www.weather-display.com/indexsupported.php

do you have a logo so i can add your site their too hobby boards?

Brian,

Thanks for offering to link to my site. I will get you a logo. I have a small one but we are redesigning it and I will get it to you as soon as we are done.

Eric
www.hobby-boards.com

The lightning counter from Hobby Board comes with 2 RJ45 connectors. The USB/1 Wire adapter from AAG is an RJ11. Will the RJ11 work with the Hobby Board lightning board? Since some of this stuff is not returnable I want to try to get the correct parts.
Thanks.

Shorty,

The new Lightning detector comes with two connectors so you can string multiple 1-wire devices together. I have the 1-wire Hobby-Boards lightning detector (mine is older and only had screw terminals) and it connects to the AAG 1-wire humidity sensor which then connects to the AAG USB adaptor just fine.
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/9671

-Bob

Thank you. I’ll try it. The installation info was very good.

You should be able to use a standard (US) telephone cable (RJ12) to connect the adaptor to the lightning detector (I haven’t tried it though) but I also offer an adaptor cable that converts from the RJ12 to the RJ45.

The reason I went with the RJ45 connector is because it allows me to add a line for +5v regulated and +9-24v unregulated following the proposed wiring standard at www.1wire.org. Plus standard network cables are easier to get throughout the world unlike RJ12 cables where different countries have different telephone standards.

Eric

I would strongly recommend that anyone getting into 1-wire equipment invest a few dollars in a 6 wire (RJ-12) crimping tool and 6 wire RJ-12 connectors as this allows you to make your own cables and it has been my experience that RJ-12 and RJ-45 connectors will be accepted into the same ports as each other.

All of my wiring is done with RJ-12 connectors. The crimping tool can be obtained at Home Depot, Lowes and Radio-Shack in the US and runs anywhere from 6 dollars USD to 25 bucks USD depending on how fancy and multipurpose you want.

just my (inflation adjusted) two cents :slight_smile:

-Bob