How supported is Wd Linux?

Good afternoon all.

I have just loaded Ubuntu onto a PC (first time I’ve ever used Linux). I have used WD windows for years.
I am considering moving over to Linux due to a windows instability issue (not wd related), however, I am wondering just how much support for queries there will be?

It doesn’t look like Brian drops in here much (apologies Brian, no offence intended) and there seems to be a lot of unanswered questions.

Whilst I’m quite good on windows, I’m not a real techie, and don’t know linux really at all

Does WD run Ok on Linux?
Is it much the same as windows version?

Are there any problems connecting the consoles (Davies Vantage Vue) and getting them to update both the screen and uploading to WU/websites etc.

many thanks for your help

Woody

yes it works OK with the Davis station and can update your web site OK
not sure why you are saying its not supported?

The new compiler I have purchased will soon (this year some time) be able to port to Linux, and then the linux version will be able to be more like the windows version

thats something to look forward to.

ukwoody, Ive been using wd on Linux for about a year now. Why i don’t come on here too much is because wd works for me.

Ive never used wd on windows as i haven’t used windows for over 5 years, so i cant compare to be honest.

Imagine if it could be ported to Debian Linux on the ARM platform aka Raspberry PI and

[quote author=Iceage link=topic=55626.msg446789#msg446789 date=1336855344]
Imagine if it could be ported to Debian Linux on the ARM platform aka Raspberry PI and

marfanuk - what linux version do you use?
Thanks

Im using ubuntu 11.10 64bit.

re cut down version that runs on ARM → see wdconsole

:smiley:

Will download the console and setup and report back on how it goes as I am one of the lucky ones that have been able to get my sticky fingers on one. Ordered at release within an hour and received 8/5/12 !! 9 weeks…

Quite quick. Esp as I used to have to deal with SCO and MSM mumps a few years back.

I reckon that it would support the full version as it can run Quake 3 and deal with HD video etc as long as it is not tasked with anything else. I can dream but would love to try it.

Thanks all

its really designed to run on say a ethernet router running linux on ARM, via a console window

Hei, i have allso raspberry pi and tried to run the arm verision of the consolewd. Without a success… all i get is:

pi@raspberrypi:~/armconsolewdfiles$ ./consolewd
-bash: ./consolewd: No such file or directory

And thats it. I would really like to get it working. I can help with testing/compiling …anything what might help.

Regards.

that error occurs if its being run in a 64 bit environment instead of 32 bit

Well, im running Debian

I don’t remember the details and don’t have time to look them up just now, but the Pi CPU isn’t the latest ARM version, so it might be that the WD ARM code is for the newer CPUs (as used in many mobile phones).

the new cross platform compiler I have is going to have added to it more platforms in the future (currently it can compile on OSX and IOS, Linux and ARM are to be added later this year, from what I understand)

Raspberry pi uses ARM11, to be exact: ARM1176JZF-S http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM11

I too am expecting imminent delivery of a Raspi, and I thought it could be a wonderful marriage between it and my DI VP2.
Certainly I would welcome any development in this direction.

Hi guys

Reading all of this I will go for Ubuntu on a
MICRO ITX Intel Atom Dual Core 525 2x1.8Ghz 160GB 4GB DDR3 DVDRW dedicated comp
20068284mm

bought it today right now

Saying goodbye then to my Win2000 system were it’s waiting when it quites :oops:.
Soon I hope to migrate WD to my new system !!!

Hope it’s a good decision, making WD up to date with a trustfull system again
(fingers crossed !)

Hi guys,

Have a full test wdisplay now (thanx Brian) in Linux 10.0xx

Copied after installation the Log files, datafiles, and webfiles, set
stationless for now, copied wdisplay.ini as well as a test and wdisplay looks like colors as it did in windows

What files can I copy as well to avoid setup all settings again ?
Should be a ‘hell of a’ job taking much time making screenshots of the current settings
print those ans set up again…

or am I to lazy ?

ps: only GoWeather.sh is working wdisplay.(exe?) will not start (not yet set comport) and the wdisplay.ini file is locked
because the owner is ‘nobody’ and I have no rights :?. So wdisplay will not close and save, however settings looks like saved starting up the next time (logged in as admin and made an account for me with read wright and all permissions for the moment)