Help setting up solar and ligtning detectors

I have recently purchased solar and lightning detectors from Hobby-Boards. I built housings as described in many of the previous discussions. I have a USB DS9490R adapter and have downloaded the necessary drivers. My device manager indicates the adapter is working and when running the driver program it detects the adapter at USB port 1. The boards are wired with 4-wire telephone cable (yellow, red, green, black) using only red and black to the board. I have also tried other combinations. The cable is attached to an RJ-11 plug. I believe I have the settings in WD set properly but there is no indication that either of the sensors are working - no response. I placed the lightning detector next to the ignition on my gas grill to test it but no response. OK - I give up. I have read about many of your success stories and hope someone might have some suggestions. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Paul

Paul,
This might be a silly question but is the rest of your station 1-wire or do you have something else and are adding the 1-wire modules seperately? I can’t see anything in your profile about your station setup.

Here’s what I had to do to get hobby board solar sensor to work

1. in one wire setup put rom id in general purpose adc and check use this as my solar sensor
  2. in solar sensor setup, click switch to on and check plot as blocked in, show apparent solar temp, plot WD’s own ET , and plot solar %.

In Graph setup check plot solar instead of indoor humidity, use solar % and possibly half scale and blocked it.

I think that is it. I had not turned the switch to ON and got no plot.

The plot should appear on the botton graph. If you want a line graph, uncheck plot as blocked in. The color can be set on the color set screen by setting to color of the “indoor humidity”. I’ve found half scale, blocked in and grey as a good combo. Other graphs show through it and the solar display doesn’t overwhelm the other plots.

I think that’s it.

Good luck.

Now for the interesting part, getting the proper mv output from the sensor. The mv values show up on the solar setup screen. 100 mv = 100% solar in current versions.

Regards,
Brian
Henderson, NC

I’ll give both of your suggestions a try. I’ll let you know how it turns out but it’s getting a bit dark here on the east coast of the US so it may be a few days before get a chance to give it a try. Thanks again. Paul

You might want to watch this thread http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?topic=5396.0

I’m trying to work with Brian to get the 100mV = 100% problem fixed. :slight_smile:

hi
if its adding those 1 wire sensors to a existing station
then in the com port setup, you need to tick to use a dallas 1 wire…
and then set the com port number to use to 1
then click on OK
then go back to that setup, and then tick its USB
then you should be able to go view, dallas 1 wire setup
and then click on Save/Reset
and then wd should find and list the ROM id;s found
and then you need to enter those, then click on Save/reset again, to them allocated
and then restart wd to reset everything, and then go back and check thinsgs in the dallas 1 wire setup again…to make sure things are found (rom i’ds , et
c)

[quote author=Brian A link=topic=5451.msg35589#msg35589 date=1095630846]
The plot should appear on the botton graph.

Hi,

Not sure if you have seen this:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/9671

It’s a very good rundown of setting up a 1 wire lightning sensor, and helped me when I first set mine up.

Good Luck,

Richard…