FSU RAOB and SYNOP issue

Hi Everybody,

In the last few days I’ve had reports of WXSIMATE stalling (and maybe causing other problems downstream with WXSIM) because it couldn’t find a couple of data sources. Here’s what I found (text of emails I sent a couple of people). - Tom

Thanks for letting me know about this. I had another report of this a day or two ago, and I just now researched the situation. It seems FSU has changed their URL’s, from “met” to “eoas”. I can and will incorporate this change into WXSIMATE, but meanwhile, the solution is to specify another source as the default. For SYNOP (which I rarely use, by the way, as it’s basically redundant with METAR, and METAR is generally better because of the more frequent reports), try the weather.cod.edu source. For RAOB, switch to the rap.ucar.edu one. To make these changes, use the little up/down arrows on the right side of the text boxes for the URL’s for these items, scroll to the one you want, and then CLICK in the box to activate it as your new default. Actually, WXSIMATE is supposed to respond to the failure by searching through its list to find and active source. When I just tried it, it said none of the SYNOP ones were working (though that wasn’t true - the weather.cod.edu one actually was), but it did successfully change my RAOB URL to the one mentioned above.

Please let me know if that takes care of it! (And soon I will have a new version with updated URL’s)

I’ve now posted an updated wxsimate.exe, with those URL changes. I just tested it, and it appears to work fine for both SYNOP and RAOB. I have not at this point packaged it in with the other files, but have posted the executable (Version 6.2) separately at

www.wxsim.com/wxsimate.exe

You can download that and use it to replace the version you currently have in c:\wxsim. Occasionally customers have reported that their antivirus programs don’t like my programs - because they don’t know what they are (as in being on some approved list). If that’s the case, then there should be a way to tell it “this one’s OK”! :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update. Everything is working perfectly.

Thanks for your continued support.

John

Working good here - thanks Tom

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

:thumbup:

Ok works again

thnx !

Thanks again Tom, All good here.