erroneous wind gust data

Hello,

I’m pretty much a novice with this weather station stuff. I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 and use Weather Display version 10.37P Build 7. The past three months I have noticed a falsely high singularly recorded wind gust of 79.4 mph in my WD data log file. Any clues as to why this happened or how I can remedy it?

Thanks

I have this problem too.i reset daily extremes etc,it goes away then returns either straight away or within the hour?

Happens to me sometimes.
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/31934

Mike,

Looks like we are almost neighbors. I’m in Longview WA and have driven past your place on my way to clam digging on several occasions.

What are the chances that it is a problem with the Davis Stations? Would it be worth it to see what they think? I’m still perplexed. More than that, I’m not able to correct the data on wunderground. ( kwalongv12 )

Send me an email if you like.

Thanks

Dave

I never encountered this issue, but I used the I’d used the B&B electronics 9POP4 powered DB9 serial optical isolator as noted in the thread mentioned above.

Yes it is pricy but worth it. I actually set it up so that power is coming from the power supply of my server where WD is running, never had a problem from day one.

Do you have serial or USB weatherlink?

I’ve run two VP2 stations with WD for several years and never experienced bogus wind gusts.

It happens to me about once a month – erroneous wind gusts that last only as few seconds. They are far too high to ignore and I delete them by going into Action > Reset Daily Extreme Values and Reset Selected All Time Records. Unfortunately, that puts it all back to zero, which I really don’t want either. I intend following it up when I return home in four weeks time – unless I see it solved here first. Incidentally, I use a WMR 200.

It must be a glitch in the serial cable data stream or WD program because I do not get those high gusts recorded in the Davis console itself.

I am using a serial weatherlink as recommended on this forum. Scrolling through the HI/LOW on the Davis console shows me that most of the yearly data is consistant with the data that wunderground shows and it shows that my high gust for the year thus far is 45 MPH. I guess that removes the console as the culprit.

Thanks for your posts.

in the latest WD version I have added a few more checks to the data
(even though a CRC error check is used)

also you can set a maximum windspeed limit in WD, so as to ignore false windspeed spikes
under control panel, barometer offset and rainfall setup

I have not had this problem myself

Same here - get ridiculous gust values every so often.
Sometimes I’d look in the .ini file in my backups to find the previous records but it’s a nuisance.

It’s only in the last few months I’ve had problems,I don’t recall any during my first few months of operation(since Feb 09)

I also have a WMR 200 but the problem is after it, i.e. those gusts are not on the console but created in the PC/WD

I’ve tried setting the Data Spike Check but doesn’t seem to do anything,

Could someone explain what does the value in the Gustspeed Ignore mean or stand for,or indeed what the data spike check is supposed to do ?

try setting a limit for windspeed and gust value in the offsets setup

note, you have a different station type than others on this thread
also, which version of WD are you using?

Being a WMR200 user also, I’ve noticed for the last few months or so these spikes. It’s always 25.6 or 51.2 m/s, and it’s only in WD, not on the console.

try setting a limit for windspeed and gust value in the offsets setup

Not being at home right now, I have not updated WD for about two months even though I could do it though TeamViewer. However, all will be updated on about 8 or 9 January when I return. I

Further to my post immediately above, I just updated WD through TeamViewer. I’m now running 10.37P Build 15. I think that’s the latest version.

Hi Windy,

OK, it’s happened again. I’m using the latest version of WD (Build 19) and have not touched my computer for the last 36 hours other than a couple of times to awaken the screen to see how much rain we’d had – I didn’t touch it, though, at the offending times and I was in bed both times. There are two erroneous spikes in the last 24-hours. One at 22.55 last night shows 184.5 km/hr for a split second, the other from 07:00 to 07:11 also shows 184.5 km/hr.

Please, Windy, what’s happened? More to the point, what have I done wrong???

Further, it’d be really helpful if I could reset today’s and yesterday’s wind gust data in “reset daily values”, please. As it is, with the first problem occurring late last night, I have to reset all data to get rid of the erroneous reading. Or have I misunderstood something somewhere?

Rick

And it’s happened again, today. It showed a 93 km/hr gust spike just now. As I caught it today, I can reset today’s values and that won’t effect previous days. But sometimes I don’t see it for a day or two and then I have to reset the lot.

Please guys, what am I doing wrong here? What causes these spikes? Have I set something up incorrectly?

Incidentally, I’m running with the latest version of WD, 10.37P, build 21.

Cheers,

Rick

I don’t know if this helps. I have the same problem but not with WD. I run WD on an old Heath ID5001 weather station and I never see this problem occurring. But I run weather View 32 on a Capricorn 2000 and it happens all the time (although the erroneous peak gusts are more in the 35 to 45 mph range). The Capricorn has a console and the erroneous wind gust shows up on that as well. So in my case the problem is with the Capricorn and not the Weather View software. Perhaps the problem you are seeing is with the station and not with WD.

Chris
Charlestown, RI

Thanks for that, Chris. It seems strange, though, that we have similar problems and the only thing we have in common is WD. My weather station is an Oregon Scientific WMR200. While two different weather stations might have a similar problem, it would make more sense if the problem came from the same common source, wouldn’t it?

Cheers,

Rick