Davis station

Hi folks, in the near future, I maybe in a position to buy a Davis vantage pro 2 plus.

I use a modified sensor for rain duration, can you use the leaf wetness sensor for this purpose?
Also, I use an extra temp sensor for my night cloud readings, can I do the same with a Davis please?

The leaf wetness will do the same thing.
If your night cloud sensor is a 1-Wire then just keep that one going but you can add an extra temp sensor to the VP2 and name it what you link. You will need a separate transmitter though so maybe have a look at the Wireless Temperature Station (not cheap). :wink:

Thanks Martin, oh dear, may have to look into the 1-wire option along side then if this all comes off, Mine is all OS stuff

Just realised, i do not think WD has had the leaf wetness to rain duration added

I think I will need to chat with Mick, he has a lot of 1-wire…

No way i can justify the wireless temp station just to convert to a night cloud, that would be crazy man thinking
more so when i think the Aurora cloud sensor is prob cheaper maybe not lol

Options are limited me thinks…

To save a bit of money, you could buy a standard VP2 in the UK and then get the solar & UV sensors from the US.
The solar sensor in the UK is about

Hi Martin, yes that would save some for sure, could be an issue regarding warranty though?

Got connection issues with my solar in a jar now, this brought to my attention that i dont really
have a placement in the garden to get solar all day unless its up on the mast like it is now.
No way i can put the ISS up on the mast, its too heavy i believe?

Right, you don’t want to be putting the ISS up the pole. You can extend the solar and mount it up by the anemometer, that’s how mine has always been. You’ll have to make your own bracket though, Davis doesn’t have that option.

Oh brill, thanks, i wasnt aware those could be moved too, phew, thats puts me back on track.
I also noticed in WD that there are settings for the leaf wetness to rain, another sorted.

The last one is the night cloud, looks like my only option there will be a 1-wire setup, seen as davis
extra temps are stupid money, shame though, didnt want to have wires traipsing to the conservatory

The extra stations are expensive :frowning:

Here’s mine:

That looks ok, smaller than i thought they are :slight_smile: and yeah, ridiculously expensive for what they are :confused:

Oh shoot, that’s the solar mounted by the anemometer in case it was confusing :oops:

Ha ha ha ha :lol: yep picked up on that one… Lol

[quote author=Budgie link=topic=64189.msg514865#msg514865 date=1482668151]
To save a bit of money, you could buy a standard VP2 in the UK and then get the solar & UV sensors from the US.
The solar sensor in the UK is about

Has Davis adjusted the prices now the GBP has dropped?

Hmm, Niko, you’ll probably appreciate that that simple question is not quite so easy to answer :slight_smile: and, without going into detail, there has been…er…activity behind the scenes. But the upshot is that Davis street prices have largely been held for the time being, although for a few less commonly ordered items, prices may have crept up a little.

However, it certainly looks like there will be marked upward pressure on prices during 2017, maybe as early as spring, even assuming that Sterling holds at around $1.25 - the supply chain has absorbed about as much of the Sterling depreciation as it conceivably can. There’s a strong suggestion that for many types of imported products eg cars there will be a series of small price increases of eg 3-5% but at intervals of a few months so as not to frighten the horses.

OTOH if, as some suggest is likely, Sterling heads towards $ parity then I suspect that the Brexit tax will come into force with a vengeance.

But I anticipate that current UK prices will hold until eg March before new price rises start happening. Of course, a new Davis US price-list is pending too - anyone seen the 2017 PR57 yet? - and that may have some price rises of its own.

Good answer :lol:

I can’t imagine why, the .gov tells me the cost of living has only increased by a tiny fraction of a percent :roll:

Well, agreed, I hope not too - not good for business. But at the same time it wouldn’t surprise me, for various reasons.

:greenjumpers: :greenjumpers: :greenjumpers:

But, but, the US $ is up 7% in Yuan, that must be a big saving for Davis :lol:

one small factor i over looked, thankfully before i have bought anything and that is the fact the solar/uv need to be leveled
this would not be possible at present until i get another mast, the solar and uv have to go on the mast and as i only
have a 6m pole with a smaller segment attached then there is no possible way to plumb them level :confused:

I spose i could always attach it to the bottom of the pole and then levlel but i am sure it would be out when fixed at the top
but there would be no way of telling except for crap readings lol

Was wanting a look at ya bracket but ya images aint working :confused: