Data loss with startup/shutdown of WD

Data is lost when WD (10.37M) is shutdown and started up. When there is a thunderstorm I need to shutdown to protect my computer. Especially the rain data loss (can be several mm) is disturbing. But the dataloss seems to be with all data. There seems to be a problem with the timestamps which determine which data to get from the datalogger and which are already with WD. Simply wrong data-acquisition it seems.

Which type of weather station are you using and have you setup the datalogger for that station in Control Panel > Datalogger and made sure that the switch on the datalogger page is ON?

OK, sorry. It’s a Davis Vantage Pro2+ and yes it is set up.
Normally it works fine. It’s just when I startup and shutdown the phenomenon occurs. And I notice it especially with the rain because that is easy to see (data not what is seen on the Davis weatherstation itself).

Make sure your Computer and the VP Console match the same time, very important with VP data retrieval…

-Bob

Also when you close Weather Display, make sure you use Exit > Save & Exit and not the red X to close the program.

Time is the same, no problem!

I usually do that but why are the other options there? Why not disabled?
And secondly, it still leaves my problem. E.g. this morning whene I started WD, it kept reading the VP+ leading to the display as I can show in a picture but which I can not include (or can I?) but which has the repeating data for the last night. It simply is to easy to get an erroneous dataread.

To add something: it should not be possible to have double timestamps in the database. If that would be prevented it would solve some big problems.

Btw: I use a 15 minute buffer.

Have you tried one minute logging? If you don’t expect extended power outages then 1 minute is recommended…and it makes it easier for WD to read the logged data.

I have explicitly chosen for the 15 minutes buffering because it gives me the possibility to be away for some days and have my computer shutdown.
Thats what it’s all about isn’t it? I did assume WD had no problem with it.

I wish to use the 15 minute buffersize.
Think WD should be able to handle the different buffersizes.

And how do I show a picture/file in a message here?

you should be able to use the 15 minute logging
but its important to make sure the time and date on the console matches the pc

yuo should be able to upload an image to the forum via the additional options link

what shows in the vptemplog.txt file?

FAQ

The picture shows what happened with the graph. WD was in an infinite loop while reading the buffer. But the infinite loop is not really the point although disturbing, it only shows clearly what happens. This is something which happens often when I shutdown/startup WD. It is especially visible with rainfall where the figures on the VP+ and WD do not match.

Where is the vptemplog.txt file located?
Can’t find it, there is no such file.

It should be in your Main WD directory, possibly you have some files set as hidden? Try using your OS search function for vptemplog

-Bob

I did use the OS search function but it did not show up.
But OK, it exists now and the file as I found it goes with this message.
I can’t make anything of it.

vptemplog.txt (9.33 KB)

Me either LOL but maybe it will make sense to Brian :slight_smile:

-Bob

the data imports OK for me in testing here
make sure that under control panel, data logger setup, the time/date to get the data from is set correct before starting up WD to get the missed data (if you have run wd at some stage in between)
and make sure the date (day) as as time is OK in the data (the date is the 3rd of ec)
you will see the date/time in the data in the VP extraction screen window

Ehhhh wdym??

Times are OK (as log as seconds are not required to be correct).

Focus on the graph I included: the problem is real and sincere: double timestamps occur.

that will occur if WD imports the same data again
(i.e the time/date to get the data from was set the same again, in the data logger setup)

I expect that to be impossible (no double timestamps).

This morning I started WD up and during the night 3.2 mm rain had falled.
After startup, WD displayed 3.0 mm rain had fallen, so a discrepancy of 0.2 mm with the VP+.

Before we continue: in your reply of December 04, 2008, 08:44:14 PM, you say this will occur when etc…. Does this mean that the behavior as I describe it, is regarded as a feature and not as a bug? Because in that case we better stop. Personally I am not really interested in manual correction on this behavior. I think the program should not accept double timestamps. The VP+ has timestamps doesn’t it?
I do not really see what the computertime has to to with the timestamped VP+ data. Is that described somewhere?

To put it short: do we have a problem here or not?

This morning I started WD while it was raining and iso reading 3.8 mm it read 3.4 mm