Crashed Drive

Okay, I’ve tried to figure this out through search but I guess I’m too dense.

The hard drive my Weather Display was on fatally crashed and I had to replace it and reinstall everything. Now, I have an unregistered version of WD and the code I have to register it doesn’t seem to work.

What am I doing wrong?

If you have a full backup of your WD install from the failed drive then using the Move WD to a new computer FAQ should help.
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10888

If not then you will need to send Brian an email asking for a new registration number, you would have to generate the code first from your new WD install and send it and proof of purchase to his email address, he is the user ‘windy’

-Bob

every day I get an email from somone who has had their hard drive crashed and they have not done any backups at all, and needs a new registration code

cant say it enough
back up your important data regularly

Hmmm.

So I guess that I cannot just reinstall the software and re-enter the reg code you originally sent me, but I must re-register all over again?

I do not save anything but the most important data, and this is the only software I have that actually won’t let me just re-enter the reg code…please don’t talk down about backups, Sir. WD is THE only program I lost that has not been returned to normal.

yes you will need a new code
if you had backed up WD then and re stored that it would have stay registered

did you not save any of WD’s data/settings?

In which case you have been lucky, since it’s not at all uncommon for software licensing to involve generated keys such as WD uses.

A backup would not only have maintained your registration data it would also have maintained your program settings and your weather data.

It’s hard to have too many backups…

Based on your tone maybe there is a misunderstanding? Nobody is saying you have to buy it again, you just need a new reg number that works on the new hardware. If you have the original email/reg/proof of purchase then the author will issue you a new one for free.

In which case you have been lucky, since it’s not at all uncommon for software licensing to involve generated keys such as WD uses.

No it isn’t uncommon to use generated keys - but once the key has been generated it can be used over and over to unlock software. As for re-entering program settings, its hardly any effort at all.

Niko, let me give an example of what I’m trying to say, in this instance my copy of Adobe photoshop, which also had to be reinstalled. I simply reinstalled it, re-entered the reg code I have saved (and written on the cd jewelcase). I DIDN’T have to request a new key from adobe.

Different vendors use different registration systems, what can I say :dontknow: Key systems that are available to multi billion $ companies may not be appropriate for a one man shop selling a lifetime license for a small cost (does Adobe provide free lifetime upgrades to photoshop, would your old key work with the latest version?). Getting a new reg for WD is less painful than getting a new WGA key from microsoft.

I’m sorry you feel this has been a big inconvenience.

The point is, if you had properly backed up all of WD’s data, you would not have to request a new key.