Anyone use a IPad ?

My wife had a major seizure 8 weeks ago . She is doing better . She has a hard time with her movement . I was thinking a iPad may be easier for her to use. . She just surfs the net and face book .
I don’t know anything about the iPad . So , does anyone where have one and do they like it ?
Thank you
Rick

Sorry to hear that Rick :frowning:

Hope shes getting better.

Thank you
Yea Friday 8 weeks ago . She had a seizure , then followed a stroke . It lasted 1 1/2 hrs from her and mothers daycare to the hospital . They put her into a coma to stop it . Two days layers the nerou dr. Did this ekg ,egg or something . They check her brain wave ( 0 brain active ) they used this hood over her head with wires all over it . That’s how they check it . They said " since she seizures for for so long . No oxygen to brain, killed the brain . The dr want me to pull life support . I would not do it .) . A week later she started to walk up . She ( michelle ) has a brain of a 6 yr old also has to relearn to do everything over . Walk , spell . Some words she does not know or what to say . She is alive and working very hard . She will need brain surgery . She had a blood vessel burst in the middle of her brain . It like a clustter there . They need to remove it . We got to get mind and body up to full power .
She is doing so great . She at a nursing home right now.'do to therapy . . Maybe couple weeks she can come home . Just got to get her moving better .
That’s why I ask about the iPad . Her laptop , it’s hard her to use .
Thanks again
Rick

Sending Prayers for a complete recovery. Sorry your Family is going threw this

Brad

hoping she coninues to make a recovery :thumbleft:

Owh thats terrible!

Yes, hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear that, hope she is getting better soon!

To your question: I have been using an iPad for 9 months and I love it. I use it absolutely every day. It’s great for surfing the net and for Facebook, but it can be used for so much more. Tell me if you have any spesific questions!

Hi Rick

Im soo sorry to hear about your wife - I hope she will recover well. I know excactly what you are going thru - my dad went thru the same 7 years ago - in the beginning he could not do anything himself. Today he is walking very slowly (with a crutch) and his right arm is dead - but most important - he got his mood back and has accepted to live with his hadicap today.

To your question:

Yesterday I got an iPad - and I must say: its an impressinve gadget - im already addicted to it. Its soo easy to use for many things like photos, music, videos, youtube, internet, mail etc.

And batterylife is very impressive.

Best regards,

Henrik

Btw. lots of cool apps too - also one which uses our clientraw.txt from WD. (http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/47081)

Henrik, what about the lack of Flash? I saw somewhere that 75% of internet videos are Flash (probably an adobe press release :lol: ).

Rick, Ipad2 was just announced, may you can get a deal on a 1?

Hi Niko

Lack of Flash is a problem and I know a lot of i-thing users complain about it. I have even jailbreaked my iPad and installed a hack of Flash (Frash.deb - and yes its legally) - but its not working with iOS 4.2.1.

I saw a new browser (Skyfire) claiming it can convert Flash into HTML5 thru the cloud, but thats not working either (at least on my iPad) :frowning:

Hopefully the problem will be “solved” soon, and so far I can easilly live without Flash.

Best regards,

Henrik

Just one thought…how much detailed control does she have in her hands? I’ve not used an iPad, but I’ve used touch screen iPhone/iPod/Android devices and one thing you have to be careful of when using them is touching the screen in the wrong place…even slightly. I sometimes find it difficult with good control in my hands. She might find it much easier using a real keyboard which requires some pressure to depress a key and has tactile feedback rather than a touch screen/keyboard that might prove frustrating.

It’s probably worth trying to borrow one to see how easy she finds it before you lay out a fair bit of money on something she wants to throw out of the window half the time. She’s got enough of a challenge with her rehab without making it worse with a device she finds difficult to use!

Yea . I think she is going have to get better. I thought the iPad would be helpful . I see the problem that would be . Her movement not good . She be ok for awhile .
Thanks
Rick

Just another thought…how good is her speech? Maybe some voice recognition on a laptop would work for her? It could also be trained to her speech if needed.

Her speech is perfect

If her speech is perfect, and she has some patience, then it’s certainly worth to try. Windows has some built in speech recognition, you can try that before buying any extra software. Get her a headset with a mic, that’ll work way better than using the built in mic of the laptop.

That’s cool there . Im going to check that out
Thank you
I think , I wanted the iPad for my self . I love my iphone . LOL
I buy it for her, I use it . Hahahah
Rick

I just want to update everyone . I did not get the I pad . We put weights on her arms to clam the shaken. She’s is doing fine . She has had serval seizures since my last post here.
May 31 , she does have brain surgery . She has a mass in her brain that’s gotta come out .
The dr says about 3 hr surgery , three night stay . He fells very comfortable . We do to .
She does have several doctors to see and MRI to be done .
The reason we set that date for ,was my two daughters will be out of school . They will help her when she come home. Which I will be there at the hospital the whole time . Then I will be able to get back to work .
I keep everyone posted
Thank you for the help
Rick

When my son was 6 years old, he had an abnormal artery pop in his head and needed emergency brain surgery. They said the clot was about the size of a prune and the artery the size of 1/2 banana. I thank God that he pulled through it with out any long term effects.

These must be trying times for you. Our prayers are with you.

Dave

I hope things go exactly as planned at the end of May. If the docs are comfortable with what has to be done that sounds good.