Alerts & Advisories not showing

I’m using the Saratoga Ver3 templates and my advisories/alerts have stopped working…for about a week now I’ve looked trying to see what may be wrong…
unfortunately I can’t find the problem.

Would appreciate if someone could point me in a direction toward a solution.

Thanks for any help.


First thing is check for any updates on the Saratoga website…make sure your up-to-date on everything.

Thanks Dan…it was the first thing I checked, everything is up to date… this page seems to load properly but it doesn’t seem to be getting the alerts or info that needs to be posted
as I mentioned, it seems to have all of a sudden stopped working?

How are the alerts updating? You have a cron job going or windows Task Scheduler?

Looks like it was last updated 2 hours ago.

Prefer to and am use win task scheduler…where did u look to see an update? what file should be updated…


Last update: Thursday 7:32am EDT

IIRC the alert text is downloaded to the cache directory…check your files there and see what they contain…

I’m not sure what it all means but on the first test shows a HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden error from the NWS, and in the next section:

–checking NWS Warning Zone ATOM/CAP Feed –
Using $SITE[‘noaazone’] entry for test.

is writing a “? missing arg x” error to (same if you open that URL in a browser)

I wonder if the scripts and url’s are really up to date, there were some similar issues reported/fixed recently but I think the posts were lost in the forum server crash :frowning:

Yes, Ken put out an update a couple weeks ago to fix the NWS issue. Waiting to hear if the cache files are intact…the cache files have names like “atom-advisory-WAZ021.txt” and I know in the past if there were problems fetching the file there was error code in the cache file that offered some clues…

FWIW, the advisory map is not showing any current alerts for MD or DE right now…

A couple maybe 3 weeks ago is when this advisories problem started…

do you know if Ken posted the new files? I don’t see anything on his site…

Dan, attached is what my cache folder looked like at around 5:45 AM this morning…



Ken made the fix around March 17th.

What is the content of your atom file?

Here’s what is currently showing for MDZ-012:

Watches, Warnings or Advisories for
Kent (MDZ012) Maryland
This page shows alerts currently in effect for Kent (MDZ012) Maryland and is normally updated every two-three minutes. Please see here for other state and listing by county.

Last updated: 16:44 GMT on 07-04-2015

There are no active watches, warnings or advisories

My atom-advisory-MDZ012.txt file shows the following

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:08:06 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.15 (Red Hat)
Cache-Control: max-age=90
Expires: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:09:36 GMT
Content-Length: 15
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

? missing arg x

That’s the same error I highlighted above, there is a problem with the url:

just click on it in this post.

Yes Niko I agree…so here is the url that works:

I assume if I can find the location for this url and update it accordingly all will be OK…what do u think?


I think it probably wants a differently formatted text/data page, not that nice looking one.

Now I’m confused by the whole thing because your appears to be working OK :?

For a while after NWS changed to the Atom feeds, the zone= parm used to work then, they changed the parms so that x= parm is for the zone/county and added the y=0 parm for the unformatted page and y=1 for the formatted page. You can see the difference here:

I also found that if you try to use the url with y-1 in a script, it defaults to y=0. You can see an example of that in my display where I am using y=0 in the first display and y=1 in the second. They are both the same.

I hope that clarifies things.

I’m confused also…but see for detailed info. (never mind, most of the ref links give 404 errors)

Add: Here’s a script you can use for testing. Put in on your webserver and then load into your browser. It should show the status of your forecast and advisory fetch’s. (Remove the .txt as it’s a .php file)

check-fetch-times.php.txt (39.7 KB)