2016 Beta versions ready to test!

Anyway with other settings in WXsimate my problem was over, give it a try. See topic
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/61182

OK, trying to catch up here! :slight_smile:

Marian … I checked your wxlini.txt file. It seems fine and does have the Close box checked. It’s very strange that this would not activate for you. Can you confirm that WXSIM-Lite is in fact finishing its jobs (analysis and forecast runs)? I’m wondering if it’s getting stuck. Is everything else about it working OK?

Tom … Are you still seeing the old fdata.txt error? Is this the beta6 version? I thought I’d made a change to prevent a forecast from being made on a wrong day liek that. The problem you’re seeing suggests that the last forecast was made at the end of an analysis run. That was always supposed to be replaced by one from a WXSIM-Lite forecast run (so make sure one of those is scheduled before your WXSIM run), but I had made a further change which should keep such a forecast (made as part of an analysis run) even get saved. I need to know if I was successful in that, but also we need to make sure your runs are scheduled and happening as scheduled.

By the way, that solution about removing all the gfsdat files … that concerns me, because those files are needed to use WXSIM-Lite properly, and if you delete them, they can’t be replaced (you’d have to wait to build up a couple months’ more files). There WAS, it seems, a bad file or two back around March 6 (maybe 18Z)? You could delete that one, if you can look at it and confirm it’s too short (anything less than 180 hours).

Let me know how all these things are going!

Tom

Tom,

I am also getting this, and also old data msg. Is WXSIMLite supposed to run after WXSIM or before?

Thank you.

Marian

Tom,

• Are you still seeing the old fdata.txt error? YES, on every run.
  • it is confirmed Beta 6
    [li]The WXSIM-Lite forecast run was scheduled to be run before the WXSIM run but I have now moved the WXSIM run to be run a few more minutes later. In either case I still get the error.
    Wxsimmate was scheduled to run 8 min past the hour. Unchanged.
    Wxsimlite was scheduled to run 11 min past the hour. Now 13 past.
    Wxsim was scheduled to run 13 past the hour. Now 15 past. [/li]
  • I did not delete any gfsdat files located in the wxsimlitedata directory. I “moved” instead of deleted the GFS*.* files from the WXSIM directory to temp location. (9 files, txt and lst). I have since moved them back to their original location.[/li][li]I should be at the top of the list of suspect(s), i.e. operator error.

fdataagain.png

Tom (KJ4QDZ),

I helped a friend debug a similar problem to yours earlier this week. His problem was caused by the failure of WxSim-Lite to run a clean forecast and analysis resulting in the same error you’re seeing when running WxSim.

Are getting you a complete “clean” WxSim-Lite run? If you’re not sure, can you go into WxSim-Lite, click Schedule on the menu tab, click the Run Immediately checkboxes for both Forecast and Analysis, then click Enable Scheduler. Let this run to completion and it will either finish cleanly or stop on an error. If it stops on an error, I might have some suggestions for you.

Steve

Steve,

I did as you suggested and got a clean run. I then ran Wxsim and this time got a clean run, no error. So, I wonder if I simply didn’t get a clean run before that and the errors were a result?

Tom,

From my experience, when WxSim-Lite has errors during it’s run, chances are good WxSim may give you errors as well.

Glad to see it’s working for you now.

Steve

Just noting that NOAA had problems with the GFS run today (Sunday). 12Z was at least two hours late (and that was just as of the notice they sent - they said it would be even later). It looks like 18Z’s up, so I guess 12Z eventually got done. I would not be surprised if people saw some problems getting the data. Hopefully they’ve got it all fixed!

Tom

Since Beta6, I get WXSIMLite error 62: Input Past End of File, error messages. The I downgraded and installed Beta5 (with this Beta I

Just a quick note, so far I have not experienced any problems with this issue. It appears I just didn’t have Wxsim-Lite setup to run properly and then Wxsim came up with the error. I have a better understanding now. Thanks Steve for your support. And to Tom too!!

Thanks for the report, tornadochaser. Do you know if your beta6 settings are identical to the beta5 ones? Can you provide any more details, like screenshots, including background?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Tom

[b]This seems to have resolved itself. Maybe some bad data.

Thanks to all that read the post.

Gary[/b]

At the end of my forecast I am getting a runtime error 9 subscript out of range error. I believe this is a wret error. If I try to open WRET I get the same error. WRET will not open

Could someone let me know what I can do to troubleshoot this. It just started tonight.

I am using beta 6.

Thanks for any help.

Gary

Thanks for the quick response, Tom. Yes, the seetings are pretty much the same as they are in beta5. And here is the screenshot.

Greetings
Marco

Marco,

Strange, there are a bunch of things missing from the form in the screen shot! (Captions, boxes, etc.). Does the form always look like that, or are things missing just after the error occurs?

Tom

Those things are just missing, after the error occured. Without that error the form looks normal and intact. Example of this morning, after a restart of wxsimlite, caused by the error.

OK, a couple of follow-ups:

Gary, if that wret error happened right after a WXSIM run (when wret is called to make some files), it sounds like somehow the latest.wxf file got corrupted. I’d certainly like to investigate that; if I can find the problem and the cause, I can do something to prevent it in the future. Next time you see it, just send me the latest.wxf file and I can try it here.

Tornadochaser, OK, at least WXSIM-Lite can make a forecast, so I’m guessing the error happened during the analysis run (?). Unfortunately, the things missing in the screen shot keep me from seeing more about what it could be. Can you watch it attempt the analysis run and then describe just what it’s doing (what date it’s on, and whether it’s on the first or second pass) if and when the error occurs again? Also, does the error happen regardless of whether you’ve checked the box for using year-old data?

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

the strange thing is, that the analysis run works like a charm. After every crash, I restart WXSIM-Lite an initiate a analysis run via scheduler (run immediately). No errors. Like I wrote in my post from Monday, it seems that the error occurs while processing a forecast. I thought in the first place, that maybe a logfile of mine is corrupt, but autolearn is performing quite well and doesn

Hi Tom

I have exactly the same error as Tornadochaser with the error 62, with half the info on the wxsimlite screen is missing. I have it ticked to include last years information. Running wxsimlite independently shows no errors but it always seems to happen on the first run of the day. I am running the beta6 version. When this happens no forecast is produced.

regards

Dave

HI Tom

I’ve been getting the same error 62 the last few days. When it happens I go in an delete the “gfsdat” file that it hangs on, but the next day the error reappears and hangs on a different file. Good news is that WxSim does complete the forecast. I’m using Beta6 and it worked fine for the first week or 2.

Cheers

MikeyM

OK, I’m trying to solve these issues. It might help if I explain what changes I made in beta6, and generally how some things work, so maybe I or someone else will figure something out!

The routine which forecasts (both in the scan and in the forecast for the current day) now has a check to see if it’s reached the end of a gfsdat0… file, BEFORE reading the (missing) line and triggering an error. Instead of a program-stopping error, a red-texted “non-critical error message”, identifying the incomplete file, gets placed at the bottom of the form. I’ve tested this pretty well and it seems reliable.

So, the error 62 (input past end of file) shouldn’t be due to a short gfsdat file (unless it’s less than about two lines). I’m trying to think of what other files could trigger this. One might be the log file (like 32016lg.txt), especially if the message says that was the last file attempted to be opened. If this is the case, I’d like to see that log file. Conceivably, it might be a more “internal” file, like cormod0.txt, if it got improperly created. Basically, please look closely at the error message, and send me whatever file it said it opened last. Actually, if it says some file was the last one opened successfully, and then you got input past end of file, there is very likely something wrong with THAT file. I’d need to see it to (1) fix the file and/or (2) make WXSIM-Lite smart enough to recognize such an error in advance, and work around it, and/or really pinpoint the cause.

Another experiment to try is NOT using the last year data, which also tends to narrow things down. I have a feeling that some of these errors have surfaced because of some problem with old data, which went undetected before because that data wasn’t being used until now.

Thanks for your patience. I really want to get this all right - and then release this new version officially! :slight_smile:

Tom