1-wire rain gauge not registering a tip.

My 1-wire rain gauge has stopped registering tips in the 1-wire reader software.
The counter is seen in the 1-wire reader software with a count total of 13452. I thought maybe the opening may have been blocked but this was not the case. I also manually tipped the balance to see if it registered a tip but it didn’t. I’m wondering is there anything else i could check? It seems strange that it just stopped in the middle of a few hours of rain a few days ago.

Mike

so even the software that comes with it, the count is not increasing?

Its a Rainwise 1-wire from Hobby Boards so no other software came with it Brian.

you should have at least though the Maxim 1 wire viewer and driver
(you could install and run that)

Will do that and get back to you Brian

So i installed the maxim 1-wire driver and software as suggested but this has messed up my wind direction readings in the dallas one wire reader software. Basically just two directions seem to the registering 90 degrees and 135 degrees.
I tried to use system restore to fix the issue but no joy. So currently i have wind direction and rain counting problems.
Would any faulty part in the rain gauge stop the count increasing? As i said before it is being seen and i have a count figure of 13452 but no tips registering.
Any help would be appreciated

Mike

Do you have a multimeter? If so you could check that it’s actually switching when the tipper tips.

re the wind direction problem, try copying the 1 wire dll files (they start with IB) that come with WD to your windows c:\winnt or c:\windows , driver location

Had a look in the C:wdisplay folder but can’t see any files beginning with IB. Am i looking in the right place?

With regards my rain count issue i do have a multimeter. Where exactly would i need to put the red and black points and what settings on the multi?

Is it a hobbyboards with a circuit board like this http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products.php?product=Dual-Counter ?

Yes Niko, its a hobbyboards.

Does it have a battery and is it good?

Is it a digital multimeter or the older style analog?

Referring to the picture on that page, I’m guessing the guage is connected to GND and A, or GND and B. If you put the multimeter on DC Volts, on a scale that will read 5 volts, and put the black onto GND and the red onto A or B (the one that’s used) you will probably read some voltage. If so, with your third hand slowly move the tipper through the horizontal position and you should see the voltage drop to zero when it’s about in the middle of its travel.

Thanks Niko
Yes it does have a battery and i was thinking it might have run out. On the hobbyboards site it says the battery should last years. I have the gauge nearly 3 years now i think. Going forward my next step will be to change the battery and see what happens.

Sounds like a good first step to me :slight_smile:

Had a look in the C:wdisplay folder but can't see any files beginning with IB. Am i looking in the right place?
some start with ib

Firstly with regards the battery even with it out i was still getting a count of 13452. I am connecting via a hub so maybe its getting power from there.

I did test as Niko suggested and got some results. Basically when the bucket was in the resting position i had a voltage of 0.05. I slowly moved the bucket to the level position and the voltage rose to 3.5v and then back to 0.05 when resting. During this testing the gauge did record tips in the 1-wire viewer but when i took the voltage meter away and manually tip again no tips were recorded. Also the count now stands at 15407. So i’m at a bit of a loss now to what is wrong. Maybe a cabling issue somewhere?

Mike

Did you test the battery?

Yes the battery is fine i checked the voltage. Funnily enough my 3 year old was in the garden and picked up the gauge and it toppled over and tips were registered. Great i thought this is some progress but now it tried a few manual tips but they weren’t registered. Also when i did the manual tips i was getting a no rain device message in the 1-wire reader software. This was maybe due to the fact the battery became displaced. The battery was actually glued to the contacts so i had a job to get it out. So as it stands the original problem persists :frowning:

Edit: Just checked 1-wire reader again and i’m getting the No Rain Device message.

maybe the problem is that the magnet is not close enough to the reed switch any more or that its lost some of its magnetism…sort of thing

A log shot but worth a look i guess.

On another note Brian still can’t find those ib 1-wire dll files. Should they be in the wdisplay folder?