Yippeeee!

i finally got the new ftp program to disconnect a dial up modem with no errors!!!
(it has been up till now OK for permanent connection)
and it was so simple in the end…but I went around in circles for a while (and made some important improvements)
it was like watching a kettle boil
if i made it visible whule working, no error
that was the clue
so in the end i just needed to add 1 line of code
show;

that was it!
so i would like everyone to use the new ftp program and report any bugs please
http://www.weather-display.com/download/ftpupd.zip

it uses much less CPU and is faster and has passive mode support :slight_smile:

:grab:

Hi Brian

Glad to see that you are so excited with the new FPT program. I tried it here and it really looks good like you said. FAST.

Thanks

Cheers

MikeyM

:smiley:

How do you get the new program to be used instead of the usual program?

darn, a screen full of errors wehn i got up (dial up modem)
i watched work perfectly for 2 email send/ ftp agenda combinations, went to bed, and as soon as i am not looking, its no good

weatherbee, just unzip to where your existing ftpupd.exe file is where you have installed weather display too (while the existing ftpupd.exe program is not running)

Hi Brian

Just checked the ftp log and everything here has worked fine with 6.08. I do have a permanent cable connection here. The upload times are very FAST and that a nice feature of the log that you can see how long it took.
As always thanks and take care.

Cheers

MikeyM

:smiley:

i am uploading a new verison now, that first run was good for me
i think it was the overall time out where the problem was for me (i have a slow 28k connection as i live in the booneys)
i have tweaked something there now
i will let it run today, as i have to go and talk to a primary school about the weather!

Hi,

i think it was the overall time out where the problem was for me (i have a slow 28k connection as i live in the booneys) i have tweaked something there now i will let it run today, as i have to go and talk to a primary school about the weather!
Me too. I am going to try it now. The eariler FTP programs failed so I have been using the default FTP program (WD v 9.25e). Works well for me except for NOAA forcasts. I will turn on the forcast while testing the new version.

Sorry Brian
At W/W using Jet Start with the new ftp has missed at least 4 uploads will check log when
I get home tonight
:frowning:

I’ve replaced the old FTP with the new ver.6.09 It pops up at the right time but nothing is uploading.

again, while i was watching, it worked perfectly
i then go out for a few hours and it failed (on discconect) everytime
arggh!

6.10 ready now
if the connection is already being dialed and a new ftp starts up, then that new one aborts, instead of staying open and not doing anything, which i think was where the problem was
i will be watching (not watching actualy while milking dem cows)

Initial test of new FTP (Beta) v. 6.10 08:00 (-5 UTC)

FTP Internet v 6.10(Beta) Dialup connection 56K.
FTP “always disconnect”=“yes” (FTP disconnected the modem properly.)
FTP v. 6.10 (Beta) does not terminate after completing scheduled download see next below.

The modem did disconnect properly but the FTP program stayed active until the 4 minute timeout.

Ftplog.txt
D:\Program Files\wdisplay\downloads\METARncz050.txt
FTPUPD.EXE finished at 8:05:09 AM 11/7/02
Time taken = 0.25 minutes
list of files uploaded*

FTPUPD.EXE finished at 8:11:07 AM 11/7/02
Time taken = 0.95 minutes
Program closed after 4 minutes time out
Error occured at: 8:14:07 AM 11/7/02

Initial test of new FTP (Beta) v. 6.10 08:00 (-5 UTC)

FTP Internet v 6.10(Beta) Dialup connection 56K.
FTP “always disconnect”=“yes” (FTP disconnected the modem properly.)
FTP v. 6.10 (Beta) does not terminate after completing scheduled download see next below.

The modem did disconnect properly but the FTP program stayed active until the 4 minute timeout.

Ftplog.txt
FTPUPD.EXE finished at 8:05:09 AM 11/7/02
Time taken = 0.25 minutes
list of files uploaded*

FTPUPD.EXE finished at 8:11:07 AM 11/7/02
Time taken = 0.95 minutes
Program closed after 4 minutes time out
Error occured at: 8:14:07 AM 11/7/02

6.11 latest

i have a new dial component
the other one was just too buggy

this new one is working great

and i fixed a few other things too

all while the wife milked dem cows!

so it should be good now

Hi Brian

I did upgrade to the latest version of the FTP today, 611 or 612, I can’t remember which. It’s working GREAt here - FAST !!

Thanks again

Cheers

:smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

MikeyM

Brian,
I think an error has slipped in in the last release or so. FTP Weather Report / Warning download is not working correctly. I am trying to get the zone forcast from NOAA called mez014.txt. Instead of going to the WebFiles dir like all other stuff does, it is going to the main dir (WD) as webfilesmez014.txt - looks like a ‘/’ is getting lost. It all worked fine until Yesterday morning when I installed 9.27. Currently using ftpupd.exe v 6.12.

Currently the metar reports from KWVL and KAUG are downloading correctly. Only the NOAA forecast file is failing.

Is there someplace in the registry where I can fix this?

Fred

found that glitch, it was using the metar download location…set that one to the one you want, and it will be ok (in the ftp download/metar setup)
i will update soon
(just busy adding ET calculations to WD for stations with solar radiation

Brian,
Itried to set the directory as you said in Setup, but no luck. Also tried adding a '' to the selected dir name, no luck. So I went to the Registry and added a '' there and it now downloads to the correct place. I will probably forget I did this and have to remove it when you fix the code. Aint computers fun! :slight_smile:

Fred