Yippee...bandwidth upgrade

My ISP has just emailed me to say that by the end of the year they’ll be increasing my inbound bandwidth from 4Mbps to 10Mbps and reducing my monthly payment by 30% at the same time. I like that kind of email :-))))))

Now I just need to convince them to up the outbound bandwidth!

Chris what kind of connection do you have? Cable? I thought a free upgrade to 2Mb was good enough but your bandwidth is rather large to start with.

Stuart

See, what we save on gas, you save on bandwidth :lol:

Yes, cable modem (Telewest). I started as a 512k user about 4-5 years ago. Then I paid extra to get a 1Mbp service. Since the I’ve paid the same monthly fee, but my bandwidth has gone to 2, then 3 now 4Mbps. This latest jump is the icing on the cake.

I’ve a pretty good idea why they’re doing it. BT and others are just starting with their rollout of the latest ADSL techniques which can give up to (I think) 16Mbps as long as you’ve got a good line and are within 10ft of your local exchange (actually it might be up to half a mile!) The cable modems Telewest are using can get up to 38Mbps out of a single channel. I think there are three channels dedicated to cable modems, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they had a new modem sitting waiting in the wings that could aggregate 3 channels into a 100Mbps feed. You’re still sharing bandwidth though…although I hardly ever hit a problem with contention.

Thats the problem with living where I do, no cable and unlikely to get it for 10’s of years unless something remarkable happens :frowning: :frowning:

Stuart

[quote author=nikoshepherd

I assume you have ADSL? How fa are you from your local exchange? I think they’re able to get 6-8Mbps out to a few kilometres now, so you might be able to get that some time?

:frowning: I am lucky to get 512 on my BT line. 6 miles from the local exchange so little hope of the speed available on my ISP package.
Better than the old dialup though - always had probs with getting a connection.

I’m quite close as the crow flies (about 1/2 mile) but I dont know how long the copper is. For now I get 2mb ADSL for

Shows what a little competition will do. The phone co’s here won’t install DSL farther than 14,000 feet from the CO (exchange)

Up band on cable is typically much less than the downband. I remember reading why but I don’t recall where I saw it.

I’m sure you can find something on dslreport.com about it though.

If too many people use the upband the downband starts to have problems, something to do with acks.

The new service I am putting in at the house is business class cable, 6mb down / 1.5mb up. I had planned on using a Wireless service which was 1.5mb/1.5mb but the startup costs, and the 3 year contract they wanted was too much.

My personal Cable residential service is now 9mb down / 1mb up. I will be keeping that when the new connection is installed next week. Its only $50 a month. The business class is more, but also unrestricted, all ports open, servers allowed etc…

For me 1mb is more than enough for upband. Mail server and some web stuff won’t eat that much. For higher bandwidth projects, I will use a hosted server with is in a datacenter.

UK ADSL is always 256Mb upload bandwidth, the downloads are 512Kb 1Mb or 2Mb with our BT phone lines. Although 256Kb sounds slow I dont really notice it that much since all I upload on a regular basis is WD data and emails…

Stuart

My 10Mbps is all you can eat as well :slight_smile:

14,000ft…what’s that in English…about 3 miles? The UK government is pushing for Broadband Britain (which also seems to equate to SpamBot Britain if the press is to be believed) so they’re pushing the ISPs to get ADSL out as far as possible. 6 miles is bordering on the edge of what’s possible and speeds do drop off as you get further away. I wouldn’t think you’d currently get above 512k at 6 miles. Perhaps the US ISPs don’t want to compromise on speed compared to distance?

Mind you I heard this week that BT are going to start installing FTTK/FTTC (Fibre To The Kerb/Cab) which means that they’ll be able to get fast networks much closer to homes, in a lot of cases just leaving the last couple of hundred yards to copper. That will allow them to bump the speed up to 16Mbps to a lot more customers. I don’t know how long it will take them to install thousands of miles of fibre…unless there’s already dark fibre sat waiting?

As for competition…what’s that? The local loop is being unbundled, but it’s alleged that BT only seem to be able to do it at a rate of one exchange line a month for the whole country :wink: so those few ISPs who want to provide local connects aren’t able to roll it out fast enough.

The reason I heard about upstream bandwidth being rationed was more a commercial than a technical reason.

ISP Internet connections tend to be symmetrical. So they buy 1GBbps of bandwidth which means they get 1GBbps in and 1GBbps out. The big ISPs like to sell web space to big companies with big web sites with huge numbers of users. The traffic pattern for a busy web site is typically small HTTP request in…large HTML page sent out to the user. So inbound bandwidth usage is low and outbound high for these customers. So they’re now consuming 900Mbps outbound for just 10Mbps inbound. That seems wasteful…what can the ISP do to maximise their profit…well, they could sell the 990Mbps of spare inbound bandwidth to their home customers and balance it out with a smaller amount of outbound bandwidth (which is where they make their real money). The big companies pay a lot for the high outbound bandwidth which subsidises the home users that balance the service.

I don’t know where I heard this. Possibly from the account manager of our work business Internet conection.

That’s a really good question, you would think it would be in their interests to push the limits but they don’t seem to be interested. Where I have DSL it’s

Only 10Mbps huh? Seems like 24Mbps is the new UK standard set by Be http://money.guardian.co.uk/internetcosts/story/0,12769,1578645,00.html

[quote]For

I saw that somewhere else. I think 24Mbps is available is you happen to live within 100 yards of an exchange in the middle of London and have a noise free phone line! The bigger the distance the slower it gets. I was looking at some discussions between ADSL2 users in Australia…they were saying that at 2.5km from the exchange you might get sync at 10Mbps (not a measured 10Mbps data rate) and at 5km you might get 4-5Mbps. The interesting thing was that they seemed to suggest that the sync speed varied from day to day, suggesting that local conditions (humidity/interference?) play a part. After all they are shoving fairly wide band HF signals down an untuned twisted pair cable!

My ISP has said that they believe they’ll be offering an 50Mbps service by 2007…and as we’re coax based connections I believe that they stand more chance of providing a real 50Mbps service to all their users than ADSL will do. That’s the good side of a cable modem…if they give you a 10Mbps service that’s what you get. With ADSL you get what the technology will allow over the distances the signals have to travel.

and i thourght i was lucky that the islands broadband provider and is upgrading its 512kb to 2mb from

I’ve had to be patient, but it’s happened today. My connection is now 10Mbps :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

One broadband test tools has just measured it at 8900kbps which isn’t too bad for evening usage. I won’t be complaining about the missing 1100kbps :wink:

I’d be happy with 1M/1M, as 512/512 does get a little choked from time to time. :slight_smile:

I used to have 1500/256, but went to 512/512 to improve upload speeds, as make life easier to user voip.

I’m at 6.4km from the local exchange, so happy to even have it, particulary as they claim it won’t work beyond 4.5km !!!