WMR100 Base Station Problem

Hi, I have a new WMR100 that has been running for almost a week that has developed a problem.

It is an American WMR100A version that I am running in the UK. Although I have several US - UK power converters, I have primarily been running the base station on battery power at the moment as I don’t have enough free power sockets near my desktop PC. The problem which started yesterday is that the display will go blank and the back light comes on. If I remove the batteries and put them back in again the base station will work ok for a while, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few hours.

I phoned Oregon scientific and they recommended I try new batteries, which I did and it worked for about 5 hours before blanking the screen again, despite the batteries still testing with 100% power in them. I also tried it with the power supply, although it seemed to get very hot and has now stopped working.

Unfortunately Oregon Scientific don’t sell power supplies on their own, and the variable voltage power supplies I have won’t fit as the power socket on the bottom of the unit is countersunk.

Oregon Scientific said I should return it to the retailer, which I’m not overly keen on unless absolutely necessary as that would mean postage to the US. Has anyone else suffered the same problem with the WMR100? Or does any one know where I could purchase a variable voltage power supply in the UK with fittings that will work with the unit?


It would help if you post the spec of the PSU, the size of the plug and also if possible some pictures of the plug and socket so that people can see what you’re trying to find.

Alternatively, if you have a local Maplins, try taking the PSU (and station console) in to see if they can match anything up with it.

Just hooked mine up today. Not sure how often I will be checking it, but if I notice anything unusual I will post.

I don’t have a WMR100 but googled the pdf manual and it quotes AA batteries at 1.5v…What type of batteries are you using, as rechargeables have a lower voltage and at end of charge have a dramatic drop in output…This could lead to the indications that you are seeing. As Chris has mentioned the output power of your mains adapter might also have been insufficiently rated to cope.

I almost got this station when it came out last year. If I remember correctly its a mains powered station. The batteries are just for back in the event of power failure etc. If you could sort out the power input from the plug you may be OK.

Worst case would be to find a variable power supply that has a 6VDC output and splice in the connector from the power supply that came with your WMR100.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread, been silly busy lately. I’m all up and running again now - Oregon Scientific replaced my unit and it’s been working ok for a couple of days, so I think all is good.

Spoke too soon - the base unit just stopped recording wind data on the new unit. Does seem to be the base unit at fault as I have tried 2 different outdoor sensors.

Funny that this is the first post on here because I just contacted Oregon Scientific about issues with this unit.
I’ve had this unit for 6 months, actually two of them because I took the first one back to try another one.

The sensors seem accurate and the included radiation sheild is adequate. However, the base station is not well designed.
For starters, it does not correctly store heat index and wind chill values in memory. We recently had 96 degrees, dewpoint of 75, and a maximum recorded heat index of 83. Now that’s bogus. Especially when weather stations right down the street recorded heat indexes well over 100 that day.

Also dumb is the way it records rainfall in .04" increments and defaults to displaying only the hourly rainfall rate. And sometimes, I get no rainfall reading at all, only --.-, even with fresh lithium batteries and clear, 100 foot line of sight.
I wish oregon scientific would take customer feedback seriously and keep track of these issues. Maybe they would finally be able to design a decent weather station that doesn’t suffer from technical glitches and kindegarten level programming.

100 feet is probably at the limit of reception I would think
if you use software with the wmr100, like weather display, it will calculate and store heat index correctly