WMR Battery condition meter

It would be nice to have some LED included in WD that indicates the status of the batteries on the transmitters. There is no way of knowing when your batteries are getting low until it is too late, and wonder why either you appear to be getting eratic readings or no readings what so ever. My system uses 5 units including the console.

It would be nice to have some LED included in WD that indicates the status of the batteries on the transmitters. There is no way of knowing when your batteries are getting low until it is too late, and wonder why either you appear to be getting eratic readings or no readings what so ever. My system uses 5 units including the console.

8O Very good idea there ! :smiley: I have a wireless station with 3 transmitters and my batteries went dead and I wasnt prepared. I got the RadioShack Wireless WeatherStation also known as the WMR-968 cable free station.

does anyone know where in the serial data stream the battery status data is?

does anyone know where in the serial data stream the battery status data is?

Where can i find this ? Anyone ? :?

http://www.peak.org/~stanley/wmr918/dataspec

Seacrh for battery indication on each unit.

/Ian

thanks Ian
I have used stanlys info before, but he has added the battery info since!
i can now add this to WD :slight_smile:

download a new vers now guys, then see under view, last on list
let me know what level the indicator shows…

also, wm918 users, i have added battery/ac status raw number to the summary image (view, broadcast image, top left hand corner)…let me know the value when on ac power or on batteries

Brian, on my wm918 I get the following values
25 when on AC and 89 when on battery.

Dave

cool
i can now add that to the custom tags
i know ryan wanted that info, so then he could tell if the power had gone off!
and he wanted that added to the warning alrams too, to send him a email
its a good way to know (if you pc is on ups as well) when the power goes off

i have had it confirmed the battery status on the wmr918 looks to be working…
i need more feedback yet (guys, move the mouse over the indicators to get the current value)

oops, they were all set to the temperature reading
uploading a new veers now, where i have added wm918 battery/ac power alwarm switch/email too :slight_smile:

new vers ready to try

Brian,
After starting WD (about 1-2 minutes) the battery alarm triggers while the unit is on power. After resetting the alarm and putting the station on battery there is no alarm triggered. Nothing seems to happen when the unit is put back on AC power.

Dave

ok, maybe i have it revesed !
the alarm resets on the hour (despite clicking on reset the leds)

what was the number in the summary image again for battery and for ac?

oops
i missed a flag

i.e the alarm will go off by just having that switch on!
uploading a fix now

a new 9.25d ready now
should work :slight_smile:
( the status is checked each minute)

I have checked my status and the values are 0 for all the external sensors and 4 for the console itself (which is on AC right now).

I tried disconnecting the AC, but then got no data from the console. I see to remember reading that it worked that way i.e. shut down serial port when AC failed. Anyone know for sure?

Great work as usual Brian! Could you do something similar to show the data quality from each sensor?

/Ian

I forgot to mention how useful this could be. In the dark days of winter my sensors never get enough light to run off the solar cell. The battery indicator comes on the console, but I have found it seems to do so days or weeks before the sensor actually runs out of sufficient backup power. I hope this numeric value will help me judge when I really need to change the battery.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good battery for low temperatures? My Duracell batteries seem to quit after a few nights below -8C! I never seem to get the cold nights low temperatures recorded because of this.

/Ian

just to clarify:
the number underneath the gauge is the raw value
the higher the number, the lower the volts
so i have the guage working in reverse
i.e 100 -(10 * raw value)
so a raw value of 4 will give 60% on the gauge
this was a guess , seems to be OK
so, i need to know how high that value will go, the raw value, and at whay point it needs to be replaced
i know with the console, if the battery gets too low, the barometer value gets less and less!

I will add a warning email for this, in the weather warning email setup

I have only been a way a week and so much more work Brian has done regarding the above. Thanks a million.

Just one thing though, whilst using WD with the WMR918, when the battery level indicators registers a low level, how would I know. Does an alarm LED flash on the main screen somewhere? Also, how can I test it out. I removed the internal battery on one sensor and it didn’t show up as a poor battery status.

I haven’t been able to download 9.25d as I gather your server is down but can you tell me if these have been included.

You say that I should be able to read the voltage on the indicator panel, but this does not work either. Is this “fix” included on 9.25d.

Keep up the sterling work Brian.