Wireless Temp Sensor - Help

Hi Guys,

I have a wireless external temperature sensor which uses a solar cell for maintaining the batteries charge. By virtue of this and as noted in the installation instructions, the solar cell is oriented due south.

The problem is that I estimate that during high sun days that it is reading 10 to 15 degrees over ambient.

Does or has anyone else have this problem and has anyone found a way of overcoming the problem. Obviously, protecting it from the sun is somewhat counter productive and could cause a problem during the short days of winter and the batteries not being sufficiently charged, particularly during really cold weather when the batteries are at their least efficient.

Bob

Just a though, but can you disconnect the solar panel from the sensor and relocate this to the sunny are and leve the sensor part protected?

Thanks for the response and a good idea. Unfortunately my sensor and solar cell are an integrated unit.

Thanks
Bob

Not sure which unit you are using
I thoght the integrated units had a radiation shield to prevent this happening
If this is so you may have a faulty unit
:?:

My station is a LaCrosse WS2010 and there is a shield on the unit. I have placed aluminum foil on the shield in an attempt to improve the protection.

In june I had many days of 100 degree F temperatures with a max. recording of 115.4 F hotter than Phoenix Arizona and certainly not normal for the maritime environment of Chesapeake, Virginia.

Maybe, I should just believe this is the localized effects of El Nino, that is aparently reapprearing again!!! :lol: and not worry about it.

You can place the sensor inside of a radiation shield or other sun protection things. The sensor will work without direct sun.
In german there are a few guys who are doing this since a few years.
(With the ws2000, is the same like your station)

I think your sensor looks like this: http://www.mannheim-wetter.info/images/aufbau/Aussensensoren_klein.jpg

Hi Gerhard

Yes, you are correct, the picture does show the type of sensor I have.

If you are right about putting the sensor in an enclosure and still have enough light to recharge the batteries with the solar cell, then it should be possible to locate the sensor facing north and shaded from direct sun.

Thanks for the answer

Bob

I have a ws2010 also and have had the sensor placed on the north side of a barn (not in direct sunlight) and it has worked just fine for months…

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I have relocated the sensor to a north east faciing wall. I will see how it performs.

Bob

Hi Guys,

Got the sensor relocated and so far, so good.

My only concern will be during the winter, with dull, short days and also the cold will affect the performance of the batteries and make the discharge cycle shorter.

We’ll have to wait and see…

Bob

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I also have the WS-2010 system and had the same problem with the outdoor temp. In my case, the sensor battery would go dead in just a couple days when mounted in the shade. It read upwards of 10-15 deg high. In my opinion, a solar powered outdoor temp sensor is an oxymoron.

After talking with the tech at LaCrosse, he suggested I separate the solar cell from the sensor and extend the wires. He insisted that if you do that you must seal the back side and edges of the sensor with silicone as well as the hole in the sensor unit left by removing the sensor.

I went in, took it all apart, soldered on wire extensions, and then mounted the solar cell to a wood block using a generous amount of silicone gel. I then mounted the solar cell in direct sun facing south and the sensor a few feet away in the shade. Now I have the best of both. It has been working fine now for more than a week.

Cheers, Kevin WM0F on the CWOP

[quote author=kpb link=topic=164.msg1416#msg1416 date=1028864282]

There was a web page that covered this issue. The fix was as listed above. Of course that would void any warranty.
Unfortunately I am unable to locate that web page now.

24 gauge wire should be sufficient as the current load is very small. That size also would have some strength. If the wire is not going to be flexed then solid wire is good. If the wire is going to be flexed then stranded should be used.

[quote author=CaptDilli link=topic=164.msg60803#msg60803 date=1113313683]
24 gauge wire should be sufficient as the current load is very small.