Windspikes wont stop! -> 2310 type station, earthing problem/cable problem

Hi, my windspikes had seemed to end a month or so ago, after installing baluns on the lead so last week I ended my 50knot limit. Guess what, the spikes returned… so I put the 50 knot windspeed and gust limit back on… but hey… it’s not working! I am getting gusts AND average windspeeds of 92.5kph (50 knots) every day, sometimes twice a day! The days have been really quite still, with winds of perhaps 20 kph so why am I getting these spikes. Yes I know about the lousy wires on WS2300s, but I thought the baluns were supposed to fix those, and abyway surely the 50 knot limit should stop them, but no… Nothing works touchwood! Anyone got any ideas (apart from a new weather station which I can’t afford, and new wires which I can’t do)? I must admit it gets frustrating as I seem to have spent at least 10 hours a month trying to correct my data, over the last 3 years.

try restarting WD after setting the limit in the limits setup

Yes the limits do work for me very well - I have seen OFL on the LCD display several times today yet WD has kept a normal look to my graphs and Max Gust values as well. I am amazed what Brian has done within the software to combat those weaknesses of the WS2300 series and eliminate the spikes. I have the replacement cable but I am very busy working on the house right now (summers) but I hope to replace the cable this summer sometime.

Hi Brian, firstly thanks for the response. I did restart WD though, in fact as I turn my 'puter off every night it was restarted a couple of times, but for some reason I still had peaks of 50 knts recorded, howevre it has not happened today so I shall keep my fingers crossed. The only trouble is we have been having very windy days occasionally and the wind does get up to 50 knts so I shall have to hope that I am home on such days so I can turn off the limits to record the correct data! (The spikes however were recorded on calm days.) I would like to say that all my spikes seem to happen at 315 degrees and they usually occur for 5 separate readings (5 minutes at a time).

is it from the missed history data that the spike occurs?

Post some photos of your setup.
I used to get lots of errors when I used extend cable lengths to the wind sensor. I found out that the aerial pole that the sensor was attached was not earthed. I had the cable running down the middle of the pole. I earthed the pole as per La-Crosse instructions and I have had a huge reduction of spikes and OFL

Firstly thanks for your responses, and no Brian, unfortunately the data is received when WD is active. Mr Networker, yes you may have a point re the earthing, as mine isn’t earthed in any way. However I have had no spikes since my post, so hopefully that’s an end to it (… hmm). My WS2300 is 3 years old now (replaced the rain gauge last year) and I see the new models have USB connectors and an improved anemometer, cups instead of the turbine thingy, I wonder if they have improved the wiring or the wireless connectivity?

also making sure the PC is well earthed can help

Brian, Maybe I’m not so quick to understand, can you please advise the correct setup for windspeed and gustspeed spike limits? I still get occasional spikes 45 Knt after installing shielded Cat5 on my 2307.

I want to limit any gust spike greater than 20Knots that is less than 70 seconds in duration, so I have the following Limits setup as I thought these would stop the spikes but they don’t, maybe I am not understanding how to set them up correctly?

• Max Windspeed - 50Knts

• 20 Knot WIndspeed spike ignore

• 20 Knot Gustspeed spike ignore

• 70 Timeout seconds reset.

So with these settings, should any gustspike 20knots above the current average speed be ignored? If so, it doesnt work for me as I do get spikes that are less than 70 seconds duration that are over 20 Knts higher than the current average speed.

P.S. Where I live, we can get 45+ knot winds in severe Westerly winds, so I don’t want to set my Max too low.

Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers

Actually i experienced the same problem with my station a couple of years ago. I googled and found out that direct sunlight on the wind sensor could cause the problems. I opened the sensor, glued some aluminium paper to the inside (the sunlight was going directly through the thin plastic) and guess what: problem solved.

Maybe you can try that (please use the search for more info on this problem).

Cheers,
Jan

Jan, I think that might have been with the WM918 station?

I will check on those spike ignore settings and the ws2310

Brian - I think I do remember someone indicating the chip on the mini board inside is sensitive to sunlight, and I would hesitate to say, but I think most conditions of “OFL” ARE when there is strong sunlight AND little wind. I will chase this avenue up as well - i still see OFL on the console as i walk past and I can then annotate what is going on and keep a check on the current weather conditions when it happens. I wonder if Ricky has seen this phenomenon? I will call him today.

Graeme

I remember seeing a post last year/ early this year from the member “rain” regarding the black paint falling off the inside of the Lacrosse anemometer http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/fixanemometer … apparently it only affects the indicated wind direction since this is measured by Photo - diodes.

I’m not sure how the windspeed is measured but I don’t think it uses photo-diodes as sunlight entering would either give no wind reading or a “100% constant speed” rather that a spike? I’m guessing the wind is measured by a rotating magnet?

Cheers

Whenever I see a 50 50 set of values (knots) for the wind speed in the logfile, there is ALWAYS a corresponding 315 degree wind direction, so it may have an influence on the windspeed in the processor chip… well lets say the wind direction system which is via LED’s, mirrors and a light receptor - photo diode that can be interfered with by external sunlight through the case or a crack in the housing, but it may overload or confuse the processor as it is pulsing in sequenced light from each led, get confused, and push out wrong spurious data…

Thanks for the link. Rain is a member that deals with details and engineering and a lot of DIY so is a reputable voice I think. :wink:

I have a Chrome spray can which will adhere to clean plastic so I will try this on the outside on a dry hot day likely to calm down to no wind, remove the gust anti spike settings and see what happens…

Hey thanks :slight_smile: for all the input guys, I hoped someone would see a similarity with these spikes and the wind direction, it seemed odd to me that they always seem to occur at 315 degrees and with a 50 50 reading too! It would be nice to sort it out as we do sometimes have the wind around that speed, and having the limits on makes it a tad tricky, especially as the spikes usually occur for 5 separate (but contiguous)readings.

This weekend is looking sunny with very light winds and even calm conditions so should be a good candidate for a test. I need to get up there for another test on 1-wire equipment trials as well… :slight_smile:

Well, I’m quite sure that I had a ws2310 and that the problem was solved when I protected the wind chip from direct sunlight :wink: So TS should give it a try, maybe it works…