When are we getting the mesonet like VWS?

Any timescale on when we will be getting the local mesonet stuff like Virtual Weather Station has just added?

Its a great addition they have since it gives you all the local weather data from both offiical sources and amateur stations all in one place.

Cumulus,

Brian, it may take Brian a few days to respond. He is busy on some earlier projects and is not able to respond to the forum as usual.

Bob

before tehy announced that i added that i was going to add to the new custom screen where you can view other wd users data (extracted from a raw weather data in their web page) to the custom screen…and currently you can add in metars to the custom screen…
the idea behind the custom screen is one place where you can have all your favourite wd graphs/variables (using the custom tags), your fevourite downloaded images (like a animated downloaded rain rader or sat pic) , favourite web page, etc etc

Yeah, thats usefull but their mesonet thing doesn’t just get data from WD users, it gets it from all users within an area submitting to weather underground! Plus you can do comparisons and lots of clever things with the data. Its really powerfull to allow you to display the weather in your area. And you can send this info to your web site too.

Come on Brian, I’m sure you can do it too, it can’t be that hard if VWS has it can it? And then if if was also available in the Linux version…!

well, i contacted weather wunderground about it and there were pretty vague and did not give me any information
so how has ed done it?
it must be on the basis of requesting the data for a users login details from the wunderground web site…as part of the url, and grabbing the current conditions there

Looks like VWS has added more things with this mesonet stuff. http://www.weatherwatchers.org/bbs/wxstationboard/messages/251.html

This is what the data looks like in VWS

and now they will have this overlaid on radar for use on their web sites!

We need this its amazing!

it looks great
he must use the lat/long for each station, and know the lat/long of the radar

wunderground told me they are planning on doing a similar mesonet too
the aprs and findu.com has a java based system where you can see the stations data on a map, where you can zoom in and all sorts (the midas web site)
see the link to that in the aprs setup…

from a posting he made on the maxtrix software bbs:
It is pulled from the Weather Underground site. Data is obtained from the webpages served up (much like from your browser), parsed, and then formatted in text files, which are then read and formatted into the GUI Interface.

I am putting the finishing touches on posting the data onto a map. It imports the map from Weather Underground or any source, overlays the stations, and creates an interactive interface, complete with visual, audible and email alarms. Jpegs are then created and sent back to the internet.

This takes some real effort, but the example map of Arizona is the most complete weather source available, and it updates real-time!

so he is using info from wunderground

humm, wunderground has already had problems with overloading in the past, and now people doing a http get of the the web page source info as well as posting there , well, i hope there servers are up to it!
(its a bit like the noaa metar servers: everyone now grabs metars with there respective software and it gets bogged down too!

what do others think?

I hate to admit it but it’s pretty darn cool. Pretty gutsy move to have built it on wunderground as a foundation though…

if someone could do some homework fo rme, on the urls needed to access the relavant info, then that will make it easier
its a wet and wild day here…once i put on some fertiliser, i will have a look at this
see the man in the clouds here:
http://ps.gen.nz/~windy/maninclouds.jpg

May I interject a word of caution here?

I have been into computers for over twenty years. I have tried to use VWS since it inception. It has become a mammoth program with more than multiple functions. The net result of the most recent program is the utter use of a computers ability to function with any speed. VWS will slow down even your mouse capability! While running VWS you can be assured of slower computing! It is true that in every new computer I’ve had more power and higher speed, but I haven’t been able to keep up to the inexorable loss of functions due to this program!

I admire Ed Edelstein, his profound computing ability and his more recent good fortune in expanding “Ambient”!

When one produces any product, I believe that simplicity is the one parameter that drives the end product!

Just thought I’d try to slow down this seemingly endless feeling among us that more is always better. Remember that there are huge programs out here that don’t defeat themselves with verboseness and infinate circles of code!

Ed

good point
i have a motto to not to try and re invent the wheel
that is why i pointed out that the aprs system already has real time weather data on a map, which you can zoom in

see here:
http://www.digitaldune.net/~ahubwest/javAPRS/wx.html

I agree. I’d rather see Brian spend his time eliminating the bugs and idiocentricies that still remain in WD before any new features are added.
Tom

May I interject a word of caution here? Just thought I'd try to slow down this seemingly endless feeling among us that more is always better. Remember that there are huge programs out here that don't defeat themselves with verboseness and infinate circles of code!

Ed

tom, did you see where if you have ticked to use the maximum solar radiation for your lat/long under solar setup, wd now calculates that value each minute, and so the solar %, based on your current solar radiation reading, is then compared to tha maxiumum vlakue for your lat/long for your time of day, to arise at a final % reading, to then determine the sunshine hours
i have a solar radiation sensor now, and its working great this way

HI Brian

What are you using for the solar radiation sensor ??

Thanks

Cheers

MikeyM :smiley:

well, for some reason (probbaly moisture) my 1 wire clapped out
but i a now using the one from the weather hawk station I have here (and sharing the reading), at the top of a nearby hill (i have 2 verisons of wd running now )
:slight_smile:

http://www.ambientweather.com/AmbientForum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2878&FORUM_ID=25&CAT_ID=11&Forum_Title=Weatherforyou&Topic_Title=Coming+soon...

weatherforyou are developing a similar thing

For some reason, it does not appear to work for me. When I check the box, the value that it selects and puts in the solar value box in setup does not change throughout the course of the day…

Tom

tom, did you see where if you have ticked to use the maximum solar radiation for your lat/long under solar setup, wd now calculates that value each minute, and so the solar %, based on your current solar radiation reading, is then compared to tha maxiumum vlakue for your lat/long for your time of day, to arise at a final % reading, to then determine the sunshine hours i have a solar radiation sensor now, and its working great this way

Weather-Display supports lots of weather mesonets: WeatherUnderground, Weather for You/HamWeather, and APRSWXNET/CWOP. All these databases have worthy attributes worth your consideration as a data donor.

I don’t know the WU folks personnally; however I do know they are a data re-seller and make $ off of your data. Maybe Ambient now has a relationship with the WU folks in this regard. Everyones entitled to make a buck, right? Data donated to WU by Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners is not shared with any of the numerous country’s weather services where the data originates.

Weather for You/Ham Weather is run by Joe Torsitano. Good guy and has a nice service for his customers (customized weather pages). Joe in turn shares the donated data to his weather site with NOAA. NOAA in turn shares your data with other non-profit organizations, including several NWS offices.

APRSWXNET/Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP) is an international volunteer non-profit organization organized by the Ham Radio folks. Several of these volunteers, notibly Brian Hamilton himself, have donated a great deal of their own labor writing code, powerful servers, and large amounts of bandwidth. CWOP data are forwarded through the APRS servers through the FINDU server and on to NOAA’s Forecast Systems Laboratory (FSL) where they are combined with the world’s largest surface mesonet database and shared with other government and research organizations. As the number of international stations expand, the Canadian, European, Austrialian, and New Zealand weather services will be interested in your CWOP data too and NOAA will be motivated to share these data with them.

APRSWXNET/CWOP data are available through the Internet, without pop-up ads or any form of advertising, from the following web pages:

1. Dick Stanich’s javAPRS: The world’s APRSWXNET/CWOP data in real-time
    http://www.digitaldune.net/~ahubwest/javAPRS/wx.html

2. Steve Dimse’s FINDU:
    Individual time series plots (Steve’s station as an example)
    http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=K4HG&last=120&radar=***
    Tabular comparison with other near-by stations
    http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxnear.cgi?call=CW0351

3. FSL’s MADIS Database: “APRSWXNET” is one of many mesonets you can compare your data with
    http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mesonet/

4. FSL and Russ Chadwick’s Mesonet Qualtiy Control Page: Choose the “APRS Wx Net Citizen Weather” network
    http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/MSAS/qcms_messages.html

There is no way Brian should try and compete with these mesonets; he does a great job formating Weather-Display data to connect to the most popular mesonets and has received a letter of appreciation from the NOAA National Hurricane Center for his support to CWOP.

If you have and questions concerning CWOP, please contact me Mr. Cumulus and I’ll be happy to tell you more.

Best Regards,

Dave Helms
CWOP ID# CW0351
(NOAA Employee)