WD website from scratch

I have really done it now. Nothing is working lol all I get is a blank website haha

Right I have done everything I can. I have got this far. www.cornish-weather.co.uk I have the template working but no pictures up and running. Any more advice anyone?

you must have deleted the index.htm or index.html file because nothing is showing

re the missing images, make sure set WD to create and upload those
if using the customise internet and file creation setup then make sure you set the times to create and times to upload those images and set the remote file names as needed

When I access your site I end up here:

The requested URL /cgi-bin/php5.fcgi/index.php was not found on this server.

It’s like you have a redirect in place

I am not sure what you have uploaded or modified but you may want to just delete everything in your web root directory and start from scratch?

-Bob

I’ve just completed an FAQ for the Carter Lake style template that should be in the FAQ area of the forum soon. :wink:

Here it is http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/52816

Thanks Budgie :smiley:

Ok so I am going to untick all the boxes in WD and going to delete all the files I have in the folder webfiles and also everything on my server.

I don’t think Bob was suggesting deleting anything in your webfiles folder or on your PC, just the files on your website server.

Have a look through the FAQ that Niko has now added to the FAQ section of the forum and see if that helps.
I started from scratch with a new WD download on a second PC and then went through the complete setup so it should be OK. :wink:

So if I uninstall WD and then reinstall would that help? that means I can start from scratch ?

Finally got something up on the site but still no pictures or anything. How can I sort them out?

Follow the FAQ, that’s why I wrote it. :wink:
If you find something isn’t working then post it on here and describe what you’ve done and what it’s not doing that it should, maybe back it up with screen shots of the setup window you’re using.

Edit:
I’ve just had a look at your site and you’re missing the moonicon.gif and sunicon.jpg files. This was a problem I ran into when I was doing the FAQ and this is what you need to do:
The sunicon.jpg is located in the WD program folder. To upload it to your site you need to go to Control Panel > FTP & Connections > Manual Upload/Run a Program. Click “Choose the File” button and navigate to the sunicon.jpg image and click on it. It should now be in the “Selected file” text area, click the “Upload this file now” button. Now click “OK” to close the window and check to see if it’s showing on your website.

The moonicon.gif is a little more complicated as we need to change some code in the template file. However, I’ve already done that so if you download the attached file and place it in the webfiles folder of Weather Display then it should sort the problem and you don’t need to change anything.

mywebpagetemplate.txt (11.6 KB)

Ok done that. How do I get dial up and working? Can I do that? Thanks :slight_smile:

Do you mean the ‘Live’ dials like this: http://www.hebwx.co.uk/wxlive.php
If so then these are run by an add-on program called “Weather Display Live”, although you can use the weather dials that WD creates and add those to the page, they can even be animated. :wink:
Let me know which one you mean & I’ll try to talk you through it. :wink:

I have WDL installed and yeah live ones like that would be great :slight_smile:

OK, I think we need to go back to basics but stay with me on this one as it helps decide where to go from here. :wink:

Some questions for you:

1. What do you want to do with your site? Do you want a simple couple of pages with the basic data from your station on it, or are you looking at a full-blown weather website with all the bells & whistle?

2. How much experience do you have with HTML and PHP coding?

3. Have you ever built a website before?

4. Do you want the building to be a learning experience or do you just want it up & running as fast as possible?

5. Do you have a website building software?

If you can give me the answers to these then I know where we’re heading and we may have to change tack a little.

With WDL, it have a good “who too” built-in so it would be worth reading through that so you can get the files ready for upload as it also has a built-in FTP program. :wink:

I would love to have a decent looking website,
I have no idea with HTML or PHP.
I have built a website before but I used a template from BT a couple years ago before my brain hemorage.
I would like to learn bits as I go but due to a bad brain due to a bleed it takes time to sink in.
I currently have no software but if needed I can download something I think.

Hope this help lol :smiley:

Well, I think in that case then it’s maybe easier if I build the site for you using the Saratoga PHP template, get it all running and then let you manage and maintain the site. How does that sound?

If you want to do that then PM me your server access details, username & password and I can get going in the morning.
Then I just need to know what main colour you want the site, your nearest town and what you want to call the site.

There will be some other files that you’ll need to create & upload but we can sort that out later. :wink:

Let me know.

Would like to Thank Budgie for all his help :slight_smile: Thank you

yes,thanks Budgie! :slight_smile:

No problem, it’s all up & running now at www.cornish-weather.co.uk.

Just a few little things to iron out but it’s all working. :smiley: