WD Mac Intel - New Install and Upgrade Info

ok…Got it…

1. the application install never created the wdisplay directory under ‘Application Support’. (manually created)
  2. Re installed and updated with new zip
  3. manually set the com port - /dev/usbserial*
  4. See step one…probably the most important for me…after creating the wdisplay directory and setting the permissions…and reinstalling the weather display changed to the default black.

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/52367(Setting permissions and running a cron program to check for errors/debugging)

the application install never created the wdisplay directory under 'Application Support'. (manually created)
that directory is created the first time the program is run

I’m sure it is…on most systems…but I’m the lucky one that didn’t get one…lol.

I actually followed a google search on why I couldn’t cd to Application Support\weatherd without " "'s and someone else had to manually create weatherd dir.

Thx

HI
now that i have updated my Mac to OSX 10.6, I will be able to use the updated package maker
and I will see if I can get that to create that directory

Greetings

I have been using WD for a while now on my Windoz based system - Its been working great with my OS wMR968 using an old Belkin Serial to USB adapter.

I just purchased a shiney new Imac and made an attempt to get WD running

Here is what I have tried.

I first found the old Belkin adapter was not supported in OSX - ordered a Trend TUS9 which is supported in OSX.

I installed the full install .dmg file - dragged it into the App folder. Went into WD and did not see my Serial adapter listed (or any serial adapters listed). Looked in the dev directory (using term) and the adapter was present. The OSX network connections shows it as available for connect.

Next I updated to the newer WD build (zip file). Dragged the WD icon into my applications folder overwriting the existing entry.

Started WD - same thing - no serial adapter. Also noted I cannot exit WD - only a force kill - or kill -9 will terminate the application.

Had an email echange with Brian who suggested an article discussion directory permissions (and owner) settings. I applied those settings for my home users Application path but did notice the system wd folder did not exist (/Library/Application Support) There are other application entries in that folder but nothing for WD.

Finally, I htrew in the towel, spun up a windows VM, installed WD, configured it (yes it did see the serial adapter no problem) and am currently running it in Unity mode on my Lion desktop.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get this running in Native mode on the Mac??

it does work, and it is down to permissions (see the post by BfdWx above), as per my email
there is a sticky about how to set permissions, use that to also set the permissions of the root directory

Hi Dellsweig,

I am not familiar with Lion, have not upgraded from Snow Leopard yet, but the adapter that always seems to work on the mac is the Keyspan serial adapter (now with Tripplite). Maybe this can help,
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/331119

Paul

dellsweig,

Aside from Brian’s sticky on permissions, there’s another peculiarity for Lion that’s different from all previous version of Mac OS X.

You have to un-hide the user Library. This is different than the Macintosh HD/Library. The user Library is located at Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library. The shortcut to this location is ~/Library. In Lion, Apple hid this directory, so anyone with a new Mac will not be able to view it.

To un-hide the user Library, use Terminal (in your Applications → Utilities folder)

Launch it, then type in

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

and then hit return

Now you should be able to see the ~/Library/

I hope that helps,
Steve

It sounds like the directory structure on the new OS might be different and WD is not able to install the Library files. I haven’t run the Mac version of WD in a long time, but back then you had to manually run the library install routine after installing WD. If that’s still the case you might try running it again from a terminal window and see if it produces any errors.

All of the above is true. Lion seems to be the issue and here is what worked for me. Created a new (empty) folder in Library/Application Support called Wdisplay. Set the permissions in that file. Download the zip file from WD and unzip it within the new Wdisplay folder you just created. The only other issue I had from that point was with the usbserial which did not show up in WD but a manual install of /dev/tty.usbserial worked. Brian has also improved many things for those of you using older versions :D.

Jack

Thanks everyone for your replies…

I agree this looks like a permission issue during install.

I am pretty new to IOS… While I have no issue setting directory permissions, a manual install is not something I want to do at this point.

I followed the steps with unhiding directories, setting permissions and am in the same place.

At this point I am up and running in a Fusion VM. The overhead is minimal and I use the VM for other windows only applications I want on my Lion desktop.

I think I will sit tight and wait until Brian releases the new package done with his current cross complier…

WD is not though using the user Library folder
its using the Library folder in the root , i.e ~/Library/Application Support/ …
and the
wdisplay directory in that folder is only created the first time you run WD on the Mac

note, if using OSX Lion, then that folder might not exit, so you might have to create it first

but that is not related to the serial devices not showing up under control panel, com port setup
for them to show up there, a call is made to list the devices and the output file is saved in the root folder: the permissions of the root folder need to be set to allow files to be created there by programs
but you can manualy list the serial devices in a terminal window via
ls /de/tty.*
and then type in manualy the one that applies into the com port setup in WD

Has anyone been able to install and run WD from the .dmg and update zip file on a CLEAN OSX Lion??

I really dont want to have to muck with faking out install directories and setting file permissions and owners.

I bought an Imac to get away from this kind of stuff…

Maybe it’s the account you login in with…the account should have admin rights on the computer.

I have admin rights

Back to the question - has anyone been able to install WD on a clean Lion - not an upgrade from a previous OSX??

I believe the locations where packages are allowed to install/create files has changed in Lion

I downloaded WD Mac Intel- before I buy it I want to know if and how I can export the data misured with the Davis weather station, as txt file or xls file. The export format should be as shown in http://www.a-bo.net/physik/klima_dt.html

HI
yes you can, using custom tags in a template file that you then set to be updated to a set file name
e,g using the customise internet and file creation setup, special file conversion
or set up in the custom web page setup, set the special file conversion there

please tell me where in the “WD Manual” I find that how using custom tags in a template file.
Another question: can I download the 30 days stored datas from the weather station or must the computer always be connected with the Davis weather station? Where I find that in the “WD Manual”?

see the file
tagslist.txt
for a list of all the custom tags you can put into the template file

e.g
temperature = %temp%
in a file called wxlocal.html in the webfiles folder
and then use the special file conversion and set the remote file name as you want (and file extension)

I came from a windows/Davis software environment, but got my first mac in 2005. Davis software is really bad on the mac, which is why I found out about WD.

Converting your data is very easy. If you have all your old .wlk files you can easily import them - one at a time. But it does work !!

Hope that helps