Wd does not know its raining!

I’ve been trying to get help on this issue but I probably posted this message in the wrong forum. Please allow me to crosspost to this forum as well. This is an extremely serious problem. WD’s inability to detect rain fundamentally damages my weather stations databases and credibility. Without data on rain, rain rate, duration, time started, time stopped, etc., a weather station is not only pointless, it’s worthless. The portion of this message below begain last evening (Friday, 6:00PM) at the beginning of the most intense storm of the year. All of the data from that storm is useless.

Brian, I’m getting quite concerned. Over the past few months WD has consistantly failed to register rain correctly. Tonight we have just received .005 inches of rain over 30 minutes and WD shows nothing. The current rain rate is .12 inches per hour, but WD shows nothing. I’m afraid my weather station looks quite foolish to anyone logging in to see what the storm is doing.

If you remember, WD also has a tendency to change the rain records at it’s whim. It sometimes resets the daily rain total to whatever it was the day before. Perhaps my comptuer is possessed, but I don’t think so.

What can we do to correct this?

I will refrain from manually correcting the rain totals until we have a chance to troubleshoot this issue. I don’t want to mess up any records that might help us get to the bottom of this.

You longtime best and most loyal customer. -Rob

UPDATE: We’ve now received .10 inches of rain according to the Vantage Pro Console and WD still does not show any precip.

2nd UPDATE: .12" and still no precip registered by WD
All Sumary Image settings are at Default. Snow Melt threshold set to default 50 deg C. 10:19 PM 3/14

UPDATE: I exited WD and fired up WeatherLink. The rain data is in the logger. WeatherLink shows the following entry for the past couple of minutes, I’ll show WD’s data directly below it:

WeatherLink:…Rain
…Bar…Rate…Rain
03/14/03…10:19 p…29.906…0.00…0.13

WD:…Baro…rainlastmin…dailyrain…monthlyrain…yearlyrain
14 03 2003 22 19…29.906…0.000…0.000…0.039…6.272

UPDATE: Just restarted WD after checking logger with WeatherLink and WD recorded .03" of rain when it read the logger archives. I will manually update rain totals at this point since the database is no longer untouched. Total rain for this storm .13" Total rain displayed by WD .03"

UPDATE: NOW 12:48 PM Saturday and WD still hasn’t registered a drop of rain, and we just had one of the most violent storms in a long time, we received 9.144mm/.36" of precip in less than 60 minutes. WD showed nothing.

Davis Weather Envoy Datalogger Diagnostics:
Console Diagnostics 03/15/03 12:51p
Total Received: 13324
Total Resynchs: 0
Total Misses: 178
Max in a Row: 367
CRC Errors: 136
% Good: 99%
Console Battery: 4.80 V

I attempted to import the Davis Logs but it only messed up the graphs like it usually does. This is quite frustrating

Brian is away for the weekend having a well deserved rest I hope. :lol:

I’m sure he’ll respond to your questions upon his return.

Brian is away for the weekend having a well deserved rest I hope. :lol: I'm sure he'll respond to your questions upon his return.

Yes, I just received an email from Brian telling me he would look into this as soon as he returned. I’m glad he’s taking some time off. He deserves it.

-Rob

hi
go to setup, general and misc, and then ultimeter raw data logging, and set that ON
then it will create a raw data file
rawultimeterdata.txt
of the raw data, where WD is installed
and email that to me when rain is recoreded (i need a before and after rain is recorded)
this is with the current vers
Cheers
Brian

hi go to setup, general and misc, and then ultimeter raw data logging, and set that ON then it will create a raw data file rawultimeterdata.txt of the raw data, where WD is installed and email that to me when rain is recoreded (i need a before and after rain is recorded) this is with the current vers Cheers Brian

Since this is California at the end of the rainy season, that might take another nine months. :slight_smile:

Here’s another piece of the puzzle. The daily rain is not reset at midnight. Every other daily value is reset, but daily rain is not.
Yesterday rain and monthly rain are also not updated. I had to manually edit the daily, monthly, and yearly rain totals.
That seems to indicate something more than just a precipitation/sensor algorithm problem.
WD just plain does not like my computer, VP pro, or me. I could always hook up my old Weather Monitor II just to monitor Precip. :slight_smile:

From the LOG file - Midnight Reset Time:
15 03 2003 23 58 48.8 86 44.8 29.722 2 3 325 0.000 0.358 0.358 6.693 48.8
15 03 2003 23 59 48.6 86 44.6 29.722 3 3 336 0.000 0.358 0.358 6.693 48.6
16 03 2003 00 00 48.6 86 44.6 29.723 3 3 337 0.000 0.358 0.358 6.693 48.6
16 03 2003 00 01 48.6 86 44.6 29.726 3 3 337 0.000 0.358 0.358 6.693 48.6

From INI File:
[Weather Station Type]
Outside Temp/hum sensor=6
Name=DAVIS VANTAGE PRO
Davis vp speed=19200
[Language]
Selected=English
Done new selection=yes
[Daily high average]
todayrain=0.36 in.
number2time=01:41 AM
number2=8.0 mph NW
raintime=00:00 AM
[Reset times]
option=midnight

Values Displayed for Rainfall:
Today: .36 - Should be 0.0
Yesterday: .13 - Should be .36
Month to Date: .36 - Correct, Manually Entered Yesterday
Year to Date: 6.69 - Correct, Manually Entered Yesterday

check the hour you have to set the daily rain, under setup, units
it should be zero
aslo, if your data comes from a server, i,e this is a client, then the rain is set by the server

check the hour you have to set the daily rain, under setup, units it should be zero aslo, if your data comes from a server, i,e this is a client, then the rain is set by the server

Hour to reset daily rain is set to 0 as is hour to reset high/low.
The data originates from this computer, not a server.

The Davis Wireless Weather Envoy http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=6314 is connected directly to the computer running Weather-Display. WD is the only application running on this computer; it has the whole AMD Athlon XP 2100+ running Windows 2000 SP2 all to itself.

strange…it should reset the rain (even manualy added rain) at midnight then…anything else occuring around midnight though?

strange....it should reset the rain (even manually added rain) at midnight then....anything else occurring around midnight though?

No, just the default daily values reset. No reboot, com port release, or anything else going on. I don’t even have a screen saver enabled.

UPDATE: We should have an opportunity to have a look at a rain event in the next fifteen minutes or so. A big honkin storm cell is bearing down on me according to NEXRAD. We’re looking at some really nasty looking cumulonimbus clouds out the window right now with winds gusting to 25 mph (which is healthy for this area).

The cold front that pushed through yesterday left some spectacularly unstable air behind. For anyone who’s not familiar with California weather, clouds (particularly clouds with rain) are fairly rare around here. :slight_smile:

So much for the severe weather 17 miles due West of me… it broke apart just 5 miles from my house. I watched it disintegrate on the Doppler. It looked like I had my own personal high pressure ridge over my house. Very bizarre.

So plan B was to manually enter .1" of rain to see if WD would reset it tonight at midnight. So much for that plan as well. WD would not allow me to input any value for daily rain. 8O

I entered SETUP, OFFSETS AND RAINFALL, then input 2.54mm in Daily Rain Total. After clicking OK I could see the new value across from Today displayed as .10 for about 1 second, then WD reset the value back to 0. This happened no matter how many times I tried it (more than 10), or what values I tried (from 1" to 25" and everything in between).

HOWEVER when I closed WD and restarted it I COULD manually enter a value for daily rain.

We may now be in the realm of windows programming problems. Something seems to occur after WD has been operating for awhile. Something in cache memory? Threads? Something?

it seems that wd is getting its rain values from another source
email me your settings files (wdisplay.ini and wdisplayftp.ini from the registr, and latest.inf file from the folder datafiles)
also, make sure you click on yes, on the offsets/rainfall page

it seems that wd is getting its rain values from another source email me your settings files (wdisplay.ini and wdisplayftp.ini from the registr, and latest.inf file from the folder datafiles) also, make sure you click on yes, on the offsets/rainfall page

Yup, I do make sure to click yes. :slight_smile:

An email will be on it’s way shortly with the files you requested. I’ll ZIP them together to save download time.

-Rob

Oh, for crying out loud! That was it? 8O

I saw that check box while scouring through the settings several times but I thought to myself, “The main switch for the client is off, so that check box shouldn’t matter.”

Silly me. :oops:

It seems to be working for midnight resets, but we haven’t had any precipitation since your message. We probably won’t get any more rain for another nine months now. The rainy season is officially over.

Thanks for tracking this problem down for me Brian. I apologize if I put too much stress on this problem or sounded overbearing (read: jerk).

-Rob
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: WD FILES

hi
try unticking the data is from over the internet, under the ftp setup, client/server setup…
Cheers
Brian