Want to detect the lightning but do not want to spend the $$$

Ok, I know I am a rookie and just looking arround the corner when it comes to weather stations and sensors. Just starting my page http://www.dayboro.info/localweather/

Would it not be nice to have a lighting detector? After all this is the lightning capital of queensland.

What would I need ? I got a Vantage Pro weather station and the WDL and WD software.

So can anybody help me out?

Thanks
H

Hi
you could get a 1 wire lightning counter
and add that to WD with a 1 wire adaptor (either usb or serial)
for not a very big cost
there is a post about setting up and using a 1 wire counter somwhere on this forum maybe in the FAQ

the 1 wire counter does tend to pick up false readings like lights in the house going off and on, but the further away from the house you can get it the better

i have a 1 wire counter my self, going through a labjack :slight_smile:

The Boltek is a fine addition to my station. Using NexStorm software it will plot lightning storms at 300 + miles (depending on height of antenna). Integrates nicely with WD and WDL as well. Much more money than the 1-wire setup but does provide longer range and mapping of strikes.

Thanks guys.

I looked the boltek, but that is 1800+ Australian so that is a no go for the moment. The “boss” will have my b…s if I get that toy.

Just ordered the 1-wire one, so lets see how we go with that :-). Who knows might be good enough, I am in a mountain range (compared to Canada we could say hill range). For that reason my range might be limited anyway, but not sure how this all works, only one way to find out… hook it all up and if it does not smoke it must be good :lol:

WOW! Whats the exchange rate for AU$ to U$?

[quote author=IT Farmer link=topic=12890.msg98664#msg98664 date=1133950364]
Thanks guys.

I looked the boltek, but that is 1800+ Australian so that is a no go for the moment. The “boss” will have my b…s if I get that toy.

Just ordered the 1-wire one, so lets see how we go with that :-). Who knows might be good enough, I am in a mountain range (compared to Canada we could say hill range). For that reason my range might be limited anyway, but not sure how this all works, only one way to find out… hook it all up and if it does not smoke it must be good

Tell me about it… The Boss here said What… then I said but I can get a 1-wire for… and she said Ok that is more reasonable LOL

Hope this FAQ will help get you going…

Good luck,
Bob

Last time I checked (I am a GPS freak) I was in Queensland, but I been known to be wrong :-).

I am at www.dayboro.info/localweather

Cyclone, I noticed you are a bit more up north you have a lightning tracker which one did you get. I looked a the boltek and unless I am going bananas (which is known to happen) the Boltek is a bit pricy.

H

Ok, i wasn’t sure where Dayboro was, and i think when i posted my original message, you web link on the left was not there.
My site has a latitude and longitude, so it gives viewers an idea where i am and maybe use Google Earth.

Cyclone, I noticed you are a bit more up north you have a lightning tracker which one did you get. I looked a the boltek and unless I am going bananas (which is known to happen) the Boltek is a bit pricy.

approx AUS $1300 the there is the nexstorm software

I’m using both the 1-wire and Boltek

Well I think you should consider using a non-flash starting page for your weather, and then allow the user to go to your flash page. :slight_smile:

Yeah, bit of it around this arvo down this way… got a Boltek using NexStorm here.

Got mine from the Ambient site in the USA, and landed it here after paying rip off UPS shipping for around $AUD1100 and got the NexStorm software from Meteorlogica in the UK.

True very true, but I am just playing at the moment. When I get time (after I finish my contract) I will fix the site up. For not I guess it has to do. You know how it is you get the new toys and you wanna play in the sandbox even when it rains :-).

thanks for the info guys. I guess I will end up with a Boltex eventually but i have to get the missus “off guard” for that. The problem is… SHE KNOWS ME SO DAMN WELL :lol:

a few hours gardening i find usualy goes down well with the boss

I will give that a go… the only gardening I do is with round-up and a chainsaw so my usefullness is limited.

Anyway I am on the hunt for a boltek, but as they say the hunt is better than the kill so it might take a while.

LOL.

I have found that Round-up, chainsaws and the wife’s flower beds are not a good mix. :wink:
–Dave

Someone else got a Lantana problem there too ?? :slight_smile:

The combination of petrol, diesel and matches on it first slows the growth down, so you don’t use up too much round-up. :wink:
Just make sure you have that fire permit first though!

[quote author=weatheroz link=topic=12890.msg99328#msg99328 date=1134169998]
Someone else got a Lantana problem there too ??

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Ya don’t gig 'em? http://www.dartreview.com/issues/11.12.01/gigging.html

Don’t forget Cane Taod Golf.

And after a bit of rain, Cane Taod Dodge-em-Cars.